Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2008, 08:51 PM   #1
bxrfan
Sizzle
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Ball So Hard University
Posts: 1,531
vCash: 1000
Default How would you rank these lightweights?

In order from greatest to least?

Henry Armstrong
Beau Jack
Bob Montgomery
Ike Williams
Jimmy Carter
Joe Brown
Carlos Ortiz
Ismael Laguna
Ken Buchanan
Roberto Duran
Guts Ishimatsu
Esteban DeJesus
Jim Watt
Alexis Arguello
Ray Mancini
Edwin Rosario
Livingstone Bramble
Jose Luis Ramirez
Hector Camacho
Greg Haugen
Vinny Pazienza
Julio Cesar Chavez
Pernell Whitaker
Tony Lopez
Freddie Pendleton
Rafael Ruelas
Miguel Angel Gonzalez
Oscar De la Hoya
Stevie Johnston
Shane Mosley
Jose Luis Castillo
Floyd Mayweather, Jr.
Acelino Frietas
Diego Corrales
Joel Casamayor
Jesus Chavez
Juan Diaz
bxrfan is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-12-2008, 11:11 AM   #2
bxrfan
Sizzle
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Ball So Hard University
Posts: 1,531
vCash: 1000
Default Re: How would you rank these lightweights?

bxrfan is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 01:25 PM   #3
Dempsey1238
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 5,015
vCash: 1000
Default Re: How would you rank these lightweights?

First there is Barney Ross.

Than the rest of the lightweights.
Dempsey1238 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 06:16 PM   #4
bxrfan
Sizzle
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Ball So Hard University
Posts: 1,531
vCash: 1000
Default Re: How would you rank these lightweights?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dempsey1238
First there is Barney Ross.

Than the rest of the lightweights.
I'm saying out of these lightweights, how do you rank them from greatest to least?
bxrfan is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 06:21 PM   #5
Dempsey1238
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 5,015
vCash: 1000
Default Re: How would you rank these lightweights?

After work and done eating, I think of a ranking of the ones I know. Have a feeling Armstrong, Brown, Arguello and Chavez might be tops there.
Dempsey1238 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 11:55 PM   #6
sweet_scientist
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 6,870
vCash: 1000
Default Re: How would you rank these lightweights?

I'll rank them in terms of h2h ability. I'm going to put someone like Chavez before Ortiz and that would not happen if resume at lightweight was being taken into account. But this list is simply based on who I think beats more lightweights than anyone else.

Roberto Duran
Henry Armstrong
Pernell Whitaker
Julio Cesar Chavez
Carlos Ortiz
Ike Williams
Alexis Arguello
Bob Montgomery
Beau Jack
Esteban DeJesus
Ken Buchanan
Jimmy Carter
Joe Brown
Shane Mosley
Oscar De la Hoya
Ismael Laguna
Floyd Mayweather, Jr.
Hector Camacho
Ray Mancini
Jose Luis Ramirez
Edwin Rosario
Stevie Johnston
Jose Luis Castillo
Freddie Pendleton
Miguel Angel Gonzalez
Jim Watt
Greg Haugen
Livingstone Bramble
Diego Corrales
Acelino Frietas
Guts Ishimatsu
Joel Casamayor
Rafael Ruelas
Vinny Pazienza
Tony Lopez
Jesus Chavez



Juan Diaz - Haven't seen enough of him to say, so I'm leaving him out.
sweet_scientist is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 01:49 PM   #7
Manassa
-
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: ESB since '05
Posts: 3,883
vCash: 75
Default Re: How would you rank these lightweights?

I really don't think Henry Armstrong deserves to be second unless you think he was one of the very best lightweights, rather than accomplished. I'm guessing that's the case, seeing as you also rated Julio Cesar Chavez above Carlos Ortiz and Ike Williams (although I would pick both over him anyway).
Manassa is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 02:07 PM   #8
sweet_scientist
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 6,870
vCash: 1000
Default Re: How would you rank these lightweights?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manassa
I really don't think Henry Armstrong deserves to be second unless you think he was one of the very best lightweights, rather than accomplished. I'm guessing that's the case, seeing as you also rated Julio Cesar Chavez above Carlos Ortiz and Ike Williams (although I would pick both over him anyway).
Does Armstrong being second surprise you? Where would you personally put him in a h2h lightweight list?
sweet_scientist is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 02:14 PM   #9
Manassa
-
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: ESB since '05
Posts: 3,883
vCash: 75
Default Re: How would you rank these lightweights?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweet_scientist
Does Armstrong being second surprise you? Where would you personally put him in a h2h lightweight list?
Head-to-head, he's top five. Accomplishments, I usually have him around eighth.
Manassa is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 03:10 PM   #10
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: The Garden Of England
Posts: 21,337
vCash: 1000
Default Re: How would you rank these lightweights?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bxrfan
In order from greatest to least?

Henry Armstrong
Beau Jack
Bob Montgomery
Ike Williams
Jimmy Carter
Joe Brown
Carlos Ortiz
Ismael Laguna
Ken Buchanan
Roberto Duran
Guts Ishimatsu
Esteban DeJesus
Jim Watt
Alexis Arguello
Ray Mancini
Edwin Rosario
Livingstone Bramble
Jose Luis Ramirez
Hector Camacho
Greg Haugen
Vinny Pazienza
Julio Cesar Chavez
Pernell Whitaker
Tony Lopez
Freddie Pendleton
Rafael Ruelas
Miguel Angel Gonzalez
Oscar De la Hoya
Stevie Johnston
Shane Mosley
Jose Luis Castillo
Floyd Mayweather, Jr.
Acelino Frietas
Diego Corrales
Joel Casamayor
Jesus Chavez
Juan Diaz
Just wondering why you left Leonard Gans and Lavigne off was it because of how far bck they fought? Armstrong ,imo is at least a p4p no 4 ,but he did comparatively little at the weight,I eould put Williams then Duran as the top two,there are some on there that are not more than good fighters,certainly not greats,imo.Hard to rate this division it is possibly the deepest of them all.
mcvey is online now  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 03:53 PM   #11
bxrfan
Sizzle
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Ball So Hard University
Posts: 1,531
vCash: 1000
Default Re: How would you rank these lightweights?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcvey
Just wondering why you left Leonard Gans and Lavigne off was it because of how far bck they fought?
Yeah, I don't really follow anything non-heavyweight before Henry Armstrong, because I have to rely more on reports than film.
bxrfan is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 12:32 AM   #12
sweet_scientist
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 6,870
vCash: 1000
Default Re: How would you rank these lightweights?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manassa
Head-to-head, he's top five. Accomplishments, I usually have him around eighth.
That's reasonable.
sweet_scientist is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:51 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013