Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-18-2013, 08:25 PM   #91
Smashgar
McMustache Nuthugger
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: USA
Posts: 532
vCash: 356
Default Re: Watching this made me realize (Roy Jones jr.)

Attention British
A few facts of which you should
be aware, so that you may KSAB.


1) Prior to the turn of the 21st century, the WBO belt was not regarded as an actual world championship by anyone who wasn't rooting for a fighter who held one.

2) WBO titleholders were not even listed as champions in Ring Magazine the way WBA/WBC/IBF beltholders were. It was given no more respect than the WBF or something like that is given now.

3) Some retard may try to tell you that nationalism has something to do with this. This is, of course, horseshit.

4) When Lennox Lewis held the undisputed heavyweight championship, no one in the US cared that he didn't have the WBO belt. He was still undisputed.

5) Conversely, even when huge US stars like Oscar De La Hoya briefly held WBO belts in the nineties, they were still not regarded as legitimate championships.

6) Nobody outside of the British Isles ever regarded guys like Eubank or Collins (or Calzaghe, for most of his career) as world champions in the first place. Nobody was in a hurry to fight them, fans did not demand fights with them, because they were stay-at-homes without real belts.

7) Deal with it.
Smashgar is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-18-2013, 09:10 PM   #92
turbotime
Future Hall Of Famer
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: LA/Canada
Posts: 18,309
vCash: 816
Default Re: Watching this made me realize (Roy Jones jr.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by orriray59 View Post
Olympic gold medalist (**** the judges) has no fundamentals.

Welcome to ESB. Dear Lord.
This.

Roy Jones is the best fighter to ever be recorded on film. Deal with it.
turbotime is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 09:12 PM   #93
turbotime
Future Hall Of Famer
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: LA/Canada
Posts: 18,309
vCash: 816
Default Re: Watching this made me realize (Roy Jones jr.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by True_Hero View Post
Collins would have beaten Roy, not easily but he'd have done him.
****ing Euros
turbotime is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 07:42 AM   #94
Loudon
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Sheffield
Posts: 5,448
vCash: 500
Default Re: Watching this made me realize (Roy Jones jr.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smashgar View Post
Attention British

A few facts of which you should
be aware, so that you may KSAB.

1) Prior to the turn of the 21st century, the WBO belt was not regarded as an actual world championship by anyone who wasn't rooting for a fighter who held one.

2) WBO titleholders were not even listed as champions in Ring Magazine the way WBA/WBC/IBF beltholders were. It was given no more respect than the WBF or something like that is given now.

3) Some retard may try to tell you that nationalism has something to do with this. This is, of course, horseshit.

4) When Lennox Lewis held the undisputed heavyweight championship, no one in the US cared that he didn't have the WBO belt. He was still undisputed.

5) Conversely, even when huge US stars like Oscar De La Hoya briefly held WBO belts in the nineties, they were still not regarded as legitimate championships.

6) Nobody outside of the British Isles ever regarded guys like Eubank or Collins (or Calzaghe, for most of his career) as world champions in the first place. Nobody was in a hurry to fight them, fans did not demand fights with them, because they were stay-at-homes without real belts.

7) Deal with it.

Loudon is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 08:41 AM   #95
simon850
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Reading, UK
Posts: 2,509
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Watching this made me realize (Roy Jones jr.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOTINDAFACE View Post
Toney and Hopkins in their prime tops every win Floyd ever had
Lamotta's win over Robinson tops every win any fighter has ever had since.

Your theory is flawed.
simon850 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 08:42 AM   #96
dannyboy147
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Aberdeen,Sunny Scotland
Posts: 1,699
vCash: 75
Default Re: Watching this made me realize (Roy Jones jr.)

He looked great against cab drivers

Amazing reflexes...freak of nature indeed, the guy is a drugs cheat. Lets not forget.
dannyboy147 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 08:48 AM   #97
SouthpawJab
On his way up!! 4-0!!
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Memphis
Posts: 4,389
vCash: 462
Default Re: Watching this made me realize (Roy Jones jr.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon850 View Post
Lamotta's win over Robinson tops every win any fighter has ever had since.

Your theory is flawed.
How in the hell is that relevant?
SouthpawJab is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 08:50 AM   #98
SouthpawJab
On his way up!! 4-0!!
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Memphis
Posts: 4,389
vCash: 462
Default Re: Watching this made me realize (Roy Jones jr.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by knockout artist View Post
Roy Jones is more comparable to Pacquiao than Mayweather in my opinion
Nah. A lot more comparable to an Ali or Ray Leonard.
SouthpawJab is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 08:53 AM   #99
Arcane
One More Time
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 7,643
vCash: 488
Default Re: Watching this made me realize (Roy Jones jr.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smashgar View Post
Attention British
A few facts of which you should
be aware, so that you may KSAB.


1) Prior to the turn of the 21st century, the WBO belt was not regarded as an actual world championship by anyone who wasn't rooting for a fighter who held one.

2) WBO titleholders were not even listed as champions in Ring Magazine the way WBA/WBC/IBF beltholders were. It was given no more respect than the WBF or something like that is given now.

3) Some retard may try to tell you that nationalism has something to do with this. This is, of course, horseshit.

4) When Lennox Lewis held the undisputed heavyweight championship, no one in the US cared that he didn't have the WBO belt. He was still undisputed.

5) Conversely, even when huge US stars like Oscar De La Hoya briefly held WBO belts in the nineties, they were still not regarded as legitimate championships.

6) Nobody outside of the British Isles ever regarded guys like Eubank or Collins (or Calzaghe, for most of his career) as world champions in the first place. Nobody was in a hurry to fight them, fans did not demand fights with them, because they were stay-at-homes without real belts.

7) Deal with it.
What is this bullshit? what the **** does the WBO have to do with legitimate criticisms of Jones?
Arcane is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 08:58 AM   #100
oibighead
G.O.A.T.
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: London
Posts: 6,261
vCash: 75
Default Re: Watching this made me realize (Roy Jones jr.)

He is the naseem hamed of the higher weights but with no chin
oibighead is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 09:01 AM   #101
True_Hero
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 1,113
vCash: 500
Default Re: Watching this made me realize (Roy Jones jr.)

Roy Jones Jr... (or should I say ROID Jones Jr ammirite? ) was a coward who ducked fights with Benn, Calzaghe and Collins.

Fact.

He or his management team, just didn't want the big American boxer of the time to get defeated by a European fighter. He was a coward who ducked fights and a drugs cheat. I lolled when Calzaghe cut this overrated, overhyped clown open
True_Hero is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 09:09 AM   #102
Loudon
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Sheffield
Posts: 5,448
vCash: 500
Default Re: Watching this made me realize (Roy Jones jr.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by True_Hero View Post
Roy Jones Jr... (or should I say ROID Jones Jr ammirite? ) was a coward who ducked fights with Benn, Calzaghe and Collins.

Fact.

He or his management team, just didn't want the big American boxer of the time to get defeated by a European fighter. He was a coward who ducked fights and a drugs cheat. I lolled when Calzaghe cut this overrated, overhyped clown open
Ha! Just PLEASE tell me that your trolling and having a laugh.

If you're not, you need urgent Psychiatric help.
Loudon is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 09:11 AM   #103
True_Hero
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 1,113
vCash: 500
Default Re: Watching this made me realize (Roy Jones jr.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loudon View Post
Ha! Just PLEASE tell me that your trolling and having a laugh.

If you're not, you need urgent Psychiatric help.
Nope, I don't like cowards. Any fighter who ducks another loses my respect unless there is a legitimate excuse.

Roid Jones Jr was a coward who ducked euro fighters. Fact.

He was also a drugs cheat, another type of person I have no respect for. Fact.
True_Hero is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 09:14 AM   #104
Loudon
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Sheffield
Posts: 5,448
vCash: 500
Default Re: Watching this made me realize (Roy Jones jr.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyboy147 View Post
He looked great against cab drivers

Amazing reflexes...freak of nature indeed, the guy is a drugs cheat. Lets not forget.
What about the following?

Castro
Malinga
Tate
Toney
Griffin II
Hill
Reggie Johnson
Woods
Gonzalez
Ruiz

He looked GREAT against all of those.

I suppose they were cab drivers too?
Loudon is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 09:25 AM   #105
Loudon
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Sheffield
Posts: 5,448
vCash: 500
Default Re: Watching this made me realize (Roy Jones jr.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by True_Hero View Post
Nope, I don't like cowards. Any fighter who ducks another loses my respect unless there is a legitimate excuse.

Roid Jones Jr was a coward who ducked euro fighters. Fact.

He was also a drugs cheat, another type of person I have no respect for. Fact.
Roy ducked/dismissed Collins.

Eubank has openly admitted that he never chased the big fights.

You can have a whole page full of links if you wish, on the lengths that Roy's advisors and HBO went to, to try and make a fight with Dariusz.

Nigel Benn was a Don King fighter, and according to Roy wanted a three fight option on him. Fred and Stan Levin, who were Roy's handlers at the time, did not want to deal with Don King. It's called boxing politcs.

Joe Calzaghe as explained yesterday, fought in a different weight class, and in a different country, and showed no desire to chase Roy down for the fight.

Let's stick to facts.

Joe had a 15 year fight career.

Apart from a brief period between 94-96 when Joe was in his early 20's, he NEVER fought in the same division as Roy, up until his final year in 2008.

For around 12 years of Joe's 15 fight career, he fought in a different weight class.

You can't duck someone who's unknown on the world stage, who fights in a different weight class.

What don't you understand?

Roy was the best fighter in the World fighting at 175.

Joe fought in Europe defending his WBO belt at 168.

How could it have been a duck?

When Roy was at his peak, Joe was a NOBODY!

Joe could have moved up to 175 and gone to America years before he eventually did in 2002.

But he didn't!

I suppose Roy aso ducked Sven Ottke?
Loudon is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:55 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013