Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > European Boxing Forum

Old 03-18-2013, 12:38 PM   #1
Cletis VanDamme
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 928
Default Victor Postol (ukr) vs Hank Lundy (usa) on thursday

Light welters Victor Postol (#8 WBC) and Henry "Hank" Lundy (#9 WBC) are supposed to face off on Thursday 21st March in Kiev, Ukraine.

Anyone know if this fight still on ?

Postol : W 21(10) L 0
undefeated with his most meaningful win being Demarcus Corley in October last year when he won a rather clear UD.
also faced a couple of 2nd to 3rdtier fighters such as Felix Lora and Frenchman Yvan Mendy.

Lundy : W 22(11) L 2
You should know who Lundy is if you follow the ESPN Friday Night Fights series.
Best wins are a stoppage victory vs David Diaz and a controversial SD vs Richar Abril
Lundy's only defeats were a stoppage L against Molina and a hard fought MD to Raymundo Beltran in July last year.

Any thoughts or info, please share.
Cletis VanDamme is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 03-18-2013, 12:40 PM   #2
IntentionalButt
Nash Equilibrium Debunker
East Side VIP

vCash: 10000
Default Re: Victor Postol (ukr) vs Hank Lundy (usa) on thursday

Why shouldn't it still be on?
IntentionalButt is offline  Top
Old 03-18-2013, 12:48 PM   #3
Cletis VanDamme
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntentionalButt View Post
Why shouldn't it still be on?
No idea, just expecting the worst and since i haven't read anything about it around here...
Old 03-18-2013, 12:49 PM   #4
IntentionalButt
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cletis VanDamme View Post
Postol : W 21(10) L 0
undefeated with his most meaningful win being Demarcus Corley in October last year when he won a rather clear UD.
also faced a couple of 2nd to 3rdtier fighters such as Felix Lora and Frenchman Yvan Mendy.

You just going off Boxrec? It was closer than the scorecards. Corley shook him up at times. I'd say Corley and Lundy have comparable pop and Lundy is a switch-hitter, able to emulate the southpaw stance...

Anyway, Viktor's most impressive victories to me are his near-shutout of Jose Piston Lopez (beat Paez Jr., gave Soto a hard night) and the clean sweep against professional prospect-pushing pain-in-the-ass Felix Lora...although it was again closer and more difficult than you would think by the cards. The extra points margin isn't from Postol dropping Lora a bunch of times as you might assume. It was a couple of deductions for supposed fouls, plus one disputed official KD ruling.
Old 03-18-2013, 12:55 PM   #5
Cletis VanDamme
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
You just going off Boxrec? It was closer than the scorecards. Corley shook him up at times. I'd say Corley and Lundy have comparable pop and Lundy is a switch-hitter, able to emulate the southpaw stance...

You wish so?
I just hadn't heard of this guy before and dare to think i'm not the only one and since besides a rnd round demolition of an overmatched journeyman, that's the only fight (Corley) of his i could find.
If others don't mind 40 min of boredom, they can watch it:
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
part2:

Anyway, thanks for the rest of your post.

Last edited by Cletis VanDamme; 03-18-2013 at 01:09 PM.
Old 03-18-2013, 03:13 PM   #6
kmanaG
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 500

I really feel that Lundy's team don't like him.
kmanaG is offline  Top
Old 03-18-2013, 03:51 PM   #7
hoopsman
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Location: Re-reading "Legacy of Ashes"-- Someone has to, right Wige?
vCash: 1000

I like Postol in this one.

IB's right about the Corley bout. Postol won, and relatively comfortably, but it was not a walkover.
hoopsman is offline  Top
Old 03-19-2013, 10:24 AM   #8
Cletis VanDamme
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmanaG View Post
I really feel that Lundy's team don't like him.
Because he'll be fighting abroad ?
That's a winnable fight for him, i'm not impressed with Postol tbh.
Old 03-19-2013, 01:10 PM   #9
kmanaG
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 500

Quote:
Because he'll be fighting abroad ?
That's a winnable fight for him, i'm not impressed with Postol tbh.
First they try to get him killed by Matthysse
Now they send him to the Ukraine, not just abroad but a country with a questionable record in terms of racism as well as against a moderately hard puncher.

It might be winnable (though I'll admit I'm more of a fan of Postol than some of you lot) but he's not exactly fighting in a "friendly" area.
kmanaG is offline  Top
Old 03-22-2013, 11:21 AM   #10
IntentionalButt
East Side VIP

Quote:
You should know who Lundy is if you follow the ESPN Friday Night Fights series.
Best wins are a stoppage victory vs David Diaz and a controversial SD vs Richar Abril

Just saw this...

Absolute rubbish.

There was no controversy whatsoever. Where did you hear that?

I was in the audience. It was a non-televised card. There are very few people on ESB who can reliably tell you what happened there.

Lundy was the clear victor. Nobody in attendance thought otherwise.

I know it's hard for some people to fathom given how their careers have panned out lately with Abril becoming a champion and Lundy faltering a few times - but Abril was fed to Lundy (then an unbeaten prospect) on short notice to replace Brad Solomon and while he made it a difficult and somewhat awkward & dirty scrap, he clearly lost. I don't know if someone told you it was a sketchy decision, or if you're just assuming based on it being a SD and Abril's history of bad luck in his other losses (unpopular split decisions against Rios & Prescott) - but please don't spread lies.

Abril lost, fair and square.
Old 03-23-2013, 05:07 AM   #11
Zacker
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 214

Quote:
Just saw this...

Absolute rubbish.

I was in the audience. It was a non-televised card. There are very few people on ESB who can reliably tell you what happened there.

I know it's hard for some people to fathom given how their careers have panned out lately with Abril becoming a champion and Lundy faltering a few times - but Abril was fed to Lundy (then an unbeaten prospect) on short notice to replace Brad Solomon and while he made it a difficult and somewhat awkward & dirty scrap, he clearly lost. I don't know if someone told you it was a sketchy decision, or if you're just assuming based on it being a SD and Abril's history of bad luck in his other losses (unpopular split decisions against Rios & Prescott) - but please don't spread lies.

Oh, but we trust your judgement unquestioningly on everything concerning Armenians, cats and Richard Abril, don't we?
Zacker is offline  Top
Old 03-23-2013, 05:13 AM   #12
Zacker
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 214

Excerpt from pavel yakovlev'svreport from ringside.

REACTION TO THE DECISION
The reaction to the judges’ decision was mixed. At the press table, numerous representatives felt that Abril’s boxing was sufficient to have won him the decision. Other media representatives, however, argued that because neither fighter connected with many meaningful punches, Lundy was rightfully the default winner of the fight. Those particular journalists gave Lundy credit for his aggression, which they felt was the controlling factor in the bout.
Again, scoring boxing matches is a subjective process, so those journalists favoring Lundy must be paid their respect. One journalist summarized the verdict thusly: “If it were an amateur bout, then Abril would be the clear winner. But this is the pros, and scoring is different. That’s why I picked Lundy.”
However, on one point all fans and media concurred: the scorecard reading 98-91 in favor of Lundy was wildly inaccurate. Abril’s representatives reported to The CBZ that Massachusetts’s boxing commissioner Dan Fitzgerald advised them to file a complaint with the state, after which authorities would review films of the fight.
In Abril’s dressing room, the mood was one of disgust and anger. Everyone in Abril’s retinue – in addition to several media representatives present – were convinced that Abril had won the vast majority of the rounds in the bout.

Willie Delgado, who is Abril’s promoter, explained, “Abril didn’t want to come here. He thought he would get robbed in Boston. But I talked him into it, saying that Boston has a rich boxing history, and that he could show Boston fans how good he is. Because of that, Abril changed his mind.” Delgado concluded by saying, “Now I’ll never come here again.” Delgado also expressed concern that the decision could discourage Cuban amateurs from aspiring to fight professionally in the United States. As a Miami area promoter, Delgado is hoping to recruit talented Cuban amateurs in the future.
Zacker is offline  Top
Old 03-23-2013, 11:02 AM   #13
Cletis VanDamme
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Just saw this...

Absolute rubbish.

I tried to transcript the little info i had about the fight: reading reactions, some people had it a close one for Lundy and some thought Abril should have gotten the nod.

I didn't feel like describing it as "controversial" was out of line:

" Abril was handed the first loss of his career by Prescott via split decision in June 2008. He maintains to this day that he’s undefeated because he believes he beat Prescott, as well as Henry Lundy, who was awarded a disputed decision victory over him."

controversial :
1. Of, producing, or marked by controversy
2. Fond of controversy; disputatious

You might want to check my initial post again, there must be some other outrageously wrong statements you want to keep whining about.

Last edited by Cletis VanDamme; 03-23-2013 at 11:19 AM.

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > European Boxing Forum