Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum

Old 02-17-2013, 05:54 AM   #1
dyna
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1551
Default Wladimir Klitschko Displays Judo Skills

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

He also talked about mma recently and said , "To be honest I didn't really like [MMA] before. But when I was watching it, I got into the style of MMA and I think I have a lot of respect for MMA fighters. It's a very tough sport... You have to be so multi-functional, you have to be a wrestler, you have to be a good kickboxer, you have to be a good boxer, you have to be with good condition." "I want to try the fitness. Just get in an MMA gym and just practice certain things. I used to wrestle, and I did judo when I was younger. As training, as fitness, perfect. Fighting, no."
dyna is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 02-17-2013, 06:04 AM   #2
achillesthegreat
FORTUNE FAVOURS THE BRAVE
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Wladimir Klitschko Displays Judo Skills

Generally these guys are fighters and have the ability to crossover. What makes or breaks their success is their approach. Wlad could have done it and even thrived in an era of Sylvia and Arlovski.

Mercer, Toney etc are examples of how not to approach a new fighting discipline.
achillesthegreat is offline  Top
Old 02-17-2013, 07:16 AM   #3
Nipple
I hate my username
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

Great find!

Wlad would have probably KILLED Tim Sylvia.
Nipple is offline  Top
Old 02-17-2013, 10:27 AM   #4
greathamza
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 117

Its not really new that he respected mma and trained some just to keep in shape and for fun
greathamza is offline  Top
Old 02-17-2013, 01:41 PM   #5
RJJFan
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 448

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nipple View Post
Great find!

Wlad would have probably KILLED Tim Sylvia.
Timmy isn't even in the same planet as Wlad when it comes to fighting.
RJJFan is offline  Top
Old 02-17-2013, 02:41 PM   #6
Delroc
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1233

HAHA at the armbar at the end of the throw. Wlad is cool as hell
Delroc is offline  Top
Old 02-17-2013, 03:15 PM   #7
scurlaruntings
ESB 2002 Club
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by achillesthegreat View Post
Generally these guys are fighters and have the ability to crossover. What makes or breaks their success is their approach. Wlad could have done it and even thrived in an era of Sylvia and Arlovski.

Mercer, Toney etc are examples of how not to approach a new fighting discipline.
Forget about Toney Mercer or even Shannon Briggs who also made a brief foray into the K-1. Those guys are fossils. But they're bread and butter is boxing. That said first and foremost they are fighters. Hence why they were willing to make the cross over into the K-1 or MMA. For that they still deserve credit.
That being said when i concur with your first point. They are fighters first. If you like fighting, broadly speaking you will enjoy most aspects of it. I know i sure as shit do. Contrary to the UFC and UFC fanboy mantra there's plenty of pro's who enjoy either or many disciplines as fans of said sport.
scurlaruntings is offline  Top
Old 02-17-2013, 04:02 PM   #8
macp1
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

If Wlad had chosen MMA instead of the fame, fortune, and global popularity found from boxing, he has the athletic ability and fighting skills to obviously have been a champion.
macp1 is offline  Top
Old 02-20-2013, 12:24 PM   #9
achillesthegreat
FORTUNE FAVOURS THE BRAVE
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by scurlaruntings View Post
Forget about Toney Mercer or even Shannon Briggs who also made a brief foray into the K-1. Those guys are fossils. But they're bread and butter is boxing. That said first and foremost they are fighters. Hence why they were willing to make the cross over into the K-1 or MMA. For that they still deserve credit.
That being said when i concur with your first point. They are fighters first. If you like fighting, broadly speaking you will enjoy most aspects of it. I know i sure as shit do. Contrary to the UFC and UFC fanboy mantra there's plenty of pro's who enjoy either or many disciplines as fans of said sport.
Agree. I am a fight fan.

True, complete credit to Toney, Mercer, Briggs etc because to not approach something with any real discipline and still do it shows they are fighters.
achillesthegreat is offline  Top
Old 02-20-2013, 12:36 PM   #10
scurlaruntings
ESB 2002 Club
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by achillesthegreat View Post
Agree. I am a fight fan.

True, complete credit to Toney, Mercer, Briggs etc because to not approach something with any real discipline and still do it shows they are fighters.
To be fair they were also doing it for the money
scurlaruntings is offline  Top
Old 02-24-2013, 08:56 AM   #11
coog
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyna View Post

He also talked about mma recently and said , "To be honest I didn't really like [MMA] before. But when I was watching it, I got into the style of MMA and I think I have a lot of respect for MMA fighters. It's a very tough sport... You have to be so multi-functional, you have to be a wrestler, you have to be a good kickboxer, you have to be a good boxer, you have to be with good condition." "I want to try the fitness. Just get in an MMA gym and just practice certain things. I used to wrestle, and I did judo when I was younger. As training, as fitness, perfect. Fighting, no."
The KLitschko brothers were raised on Russian military bases and their dad had them in everything and Judo is like the national sport of Russia I have never met a Russian that didn't have some knowledge of the sport. Since shooting on a heavyweight is not normally done or attempted. and it is predominately stand up and greco I would thi nk that the brothers would be mma champs fairly easily if they wanted especially vlad he would jab and counter people to death.
coog is offline  Top
Old 02-24-2013, 09:46 AM   #12
luuk166

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deckard View Post

No one know's who Wlad is. More people know of GSP, Anderson Silva, Couture than Wladimir ****ing Klitschwho.
are you ****ing serious?
luuk166 is offline  Top
Old 02-24-2013, 10:14 AM   #13
Stoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:

No one know's who Wlad is. More people know of GSP, Anderson Silva, Couture than Wladimir ****ing Klitschwho.
It took a week but we have a bite!

Stoo is offline  Top
Old 02-24-2013, 10:22 AM   #14
Stoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

If you are debating whether the billions of people on this Earth who you will never meet know who the handful of fighters mentioned who you will never meet are then you need to get out more.

Go, leave the house, take a notepad and pen. Travel the world, ask everyone, yes I mean every single person on the planet. Then you can call someone an idiot for an unfounded and unresearched opinion which contradicts your unfounded and unreasearched opinion

Other wise this is no better than a religious debate in the lounge. ''My God is better than yours'' and all that malarky...

If anyone is living in a cocoon of delusion it's the people in this thread debating who is more ****ing famous

It doesnt matter, end of story
Stoo is offline  Top
Old 02-24-2013, 11:21 AM   #15
StillWill
Dr. Eisenfaust
ESB Addict

vCash: 174

Quote:
Okay then "Non one know's who Wlad is* except people in Germany and boxing aficionados.

If you think Wlad is well known you're living in your own little cocoon of delusion.

"The match drew a lot of international attention with around 500 mln viewers from 150 countries around the world watching the live telecast."

"The biggest heavyweight fight since Lennox Lewis-Mike Tyson in 2002 had a television audience of 500 million people in 150 countries."

"The Haye fight was in over a 150 countries; the unification fight with Wladimir got over 16 million viewers in Germany, which was the highest rating they ever got for a Klitschko fight. It was a phenomenal rating; it’s higher than the German soccer team."

If you can find an mma match with a fraction of those numbers.. lol. Wlad also makes more in one fight(15 mill euros) than practically the whole ufc roster combined
StillWill is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum