Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 02-17-2013, 12:33 PM   #1
Addie
MAB.
East Side VIP

vCash: 842
Default Tito Trinidad

What do we all think of Tito Trinidad? I've not seen a great deal of him, admittedly, but I think he was a real offensive force at his peak. Great delivery, hit hard with both hands, and was very smooth when punching in combination. Great variety. If Tito Trinidad could find you with regularity than you were in deep trouble. Still, he wasn't infallible. Not by any stretch. Balance issues and not the sturdiest chin in the world attributed to quite a few knockdowns during his highly successful career. It was not unusual to see Trinidad be put on the seat of his pants during the first couple of rounds, even if he was fighting relatively modest opposition. Campas, for example. Trinidad was outboxed in every fight he lost, and even in some that he won (on the official scorecards). Again, maybe this was due to his lack of footwork and foot speed. That all said, Trinidad was a force during the 90s. No question about it.

Question is, who are the best Welterweights and Junior Middleweights that you'd favour a prime Trinidad to beat?
Addie is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 02-17-2013, 12:48 PM   #2
PhillyPhan69
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Tito Trinidad

I will try and chime in again later.....At one time Tito seemed to have this almost Tyson like Aura about him before his fights and was likely overhyped as to how great he actually was....Since then his stock seems to have plummeted. I think he is better than many do, he is almost prtrayed as a crude slugger anymore but he applied some smart and serious pressure.

I will think about who I might rank and favor him over....

I do think Tito's style would have done very well in the 15 round era. As you stated there were times even in victory he was slightly outboxed...but I think he always felt that he would stalk and catch you sooner or later and then you would be his....Yes, I think he might be regarded higher had he been around for 15 rounders.
PhillyPhan69 is offline  Top
Old 02-17-2013, 12:49 PM   #3
sportofkings
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

Very good fighter in is day, devastating power, solid technique and a very accurate puncher when he got going. As you've already said his chin, and balance wasn't the greatest, and he was vulnerable to a certain degree. I bet he would give a lot of welterweight and light-middleweights in history a really tough fight.

I reckon he'd fall short against most of the elite fighters in history though.
sportofkings is offline  Top
Old 02-17-2013, 12:55 PM   #4
salsanchezfan
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

It's hip now to hate on him and how he couldn't do this or that, had trouble with boxers, etc.

Not that he was anything special at all, but I remember Maurice Blocker being obliterated so completely that he was made to look like an 80-year old man against him. I watched it live and just sat there with my jaw agape. I know Blocker was brittle and past his best, but he was still a reigning world champion. There haven't been that many such demonstrative de-thronings in my memory. A couple at best.

I think he was a very impressive offensive machine. Maybe he didn't have a lot of "shift on the fly" inventiveness about him, but so what. He was exceptional at what he did well.
salsanchezfan is offline  Top
Old 02-17-2013, 12:57 PM   #5
Addie
MAB.
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by salsanchezfan View Post
It's hip now to hate on him and how he couldn't do this or that, had trouble with boxers, etc.

Not that he was anything special at all, but I remember Maurice Blocker being obliterated so completely that he was made to look like an 80-year old man against him. I watched it live and just sat there with my jaw agape. I know Blocker was brittle and past his best, but he was still a reigning world champion. There haven't been that many such demonstrative de-thronings in my memory. A couple at best.

I think he was a very impressive offensive machine. Maybe he didn't have a lot of "shift on the fly" inventiveness about him, but so what. He was exceptional at what he did well.
Joppy was no big shakes, but I thought what Trinidad did to him in his first fight at 160lbs was pretty chilling too.
Addie is offline  Top
Old 02-17-2013, 01:02 PM   #6
kmac
On permanent vacation
ESB Addict

vCash: 683

trinidad i always thought had scary power. in his prime at welter, it was just a matter of time before he got his man out of there. i considered tito to be a poor man's joe louis. tito was always going to have trouble with boxers though. de la hoya got jobbed and hopkins was just too good for tito. old whitaker even hung tough. my favorite fight with tito was vs mayorga. what an awesome action fight.
kmac is offline  Top
Old 02-17-2013, 01:05 PM   #7
Addie
MAB.
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmac View Post
trinidad i always thought had scary power. in his prime at welter, it was just a matter of time before he got his man out of there. i considered tito to be a poor man's joe louis. tito was always going to have trouble with boxers though. de la hoya got jobbed and hopkins was just too good for tito. old whitaker even hung tough. my favorite fight with tito was vs mayorga. what an awesome action fight.
I like the comparison with Louis. He was similar in his approach, but a downgraded version in virtually every aspect.

Mayorga-Trinidad was a fantastic scrap.
Addie is offline  Top
Old 02-17-2013, 01:12 PM   #8
lora
Fighting Zapata
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

You've summed him up well.

Main thing i'd add was that his skills declined as his career went on.Not massively by any means, but he was more Arguello\Louis like in his early-mid Welter years.

The soft challengers and comfortable stoppages he started piling up seemed to go to his head a bit as a puncher, and he became more and more of a basic seek and destroy fighter.Stopped using the jab, movement and picking punches nearly as well, replaced with coming forward in a straight line, planting and just letting his hands go.

DLH really exposed that, but he didn't work on flaws after that fight.

An excellent Welter and still good\very good above that, though i've never agreed with the idea he was best at 154.He was more vulnerable, even if he did score some of his best wins(in terms of quality of opponent) there.

Best fighters i'd pick him to beat more often than not:

Welter....Ike Quartey, Shane Mosley, Ceferino Garcia, Jimmy McLarnin, maybe Ross too because of the size gap, though i don't have a strong opinion one way or the other.Zivic, Saxton, Akins, Jordan, Paret, Federico Thompson, Hedge Lewis, Ernie Lopez, Espada, Cuevas, Breland, Honeyghan, Stracey, McCrory, Jones, McGirt, Forrest, Mayweather jr

That's just off the top of my head and a few i could see going either way quite a lot.Palomino, Brown at their best i've gone back and forth on before.

Light middle...Mazzinghi, Moyer, Kim, Wajima, Mattioli, Hope, Kalule, Moore, Duran, Santos, Drayton,Hilton,Rosi, Aquino, Thomas,Norris,John David Jackson DLH, Mosley, JCV, Whitaker, Simon, Boudouani

A few of those i've gone back and forth on as well.Some real 50\50 fights there, duran might thrash him, but he might also look tepid and get soundly outworked.Drayton, Moore and to a lesser extent, MAtioli, Hope, Aquino and JCV could well surprise in a firefight as they all have a lot more firepower than Vargas.Risky fighters to try and just walk through, as tito was doing by then but i'd favour tito over the last four for sure.santos would be interesting for Puerto Rico angle...he choked badly in an appalling fight with Benitez, but stylistically could be a nightmare for Tito if he can stay relaxed.If kalule had a better chin he'd end up winning comfortably, but i've gone back and forth on it before and i'm not sure he wouldn't end up getting too aggressive and hurt.
lora is offline  Top
Old 02-17-2013, 01:16 PM   #9
lora
Fighting Zapata
ESB Addict

ah and i also think a fight with a non washed up out of retirement Tito and Wright would be a lot closer than some might think.

Winky does have the requisite stylistic advantage and toughness to win a close decision though.
lora is offline  Top
Old 02-17-2013, 01:28 PM   #10
Addie
MAB.
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by lora View Post
You've summed him up well.

Main thing i'd add was that his skills declined as his career went on.Not massively by any means, but he was more Arguello\Louis like in his early-mid Welter years.

The soft challengers and comfortable stoppages he started piling up seemed to go to his head a bit as a puncher, and he became more and more of a basic seek and destroy fighter.Stopped using the jab, movement and picking punches nearly as well, replaced with coming forward in a straight line, planting and just letting his hands go.

DLH really exposed that, but he didn't work on flaws after that fight.

An excellent Welter and still good\very good above that, though i've never agreed with the idea he was best at 154.He was more vulnerable, even if he did score some of his best wins(in terms of quality of opponent) there.

Best fighters i'd pick him to beat more often than not:

Welter....Ike Quartey, Shane Mosley, Ceferino Garcia, Jimmy McLarnin, maybe Ross too because of the size gap, though i don't have a strong opinion one way or the other.Zivic, Saxton, Akins, Jordan, Paret, Federico Thompson, Hedge Lewis, Ernie Lopez, Espada, Cuevas, Breland, Honeyghan, Stracey, McCrory, Jones, McGirt, Forrest, Mayweather jr

That's just off the top of my head and a few i could see going either way quite a lot.Palomino, Brown at their best i've gone back and forth on before.

Light middle...Mazzinghi, Moyer, Kim, Wajima, Mattioli, Hope, Kalule, Moore, Duran, Santos, Drayton,Hilton,Rosi, Aquino, Thomas,Norris,John David Jackson DLH, Mosley, JCV, Whitaker, Simon, Boudouani

A few of those i've gone back and forth on as well.Some real 50\50 fights there, duran might thrash him, but he might also look tepid and get soundly outworked.Drayton, Moore and to a lesser extent, MAtioli, Hope, Aquino and JCV could well surprise in a firefight as they all have a lot more firepower than Vargas.Risky fighters to try and just walk through, as tito was doing by then but i'd favour tito over the last four for sure.santos would be interesting for Puerto Rico angle...he choked badly in an appalling fight with Benitez, but stylistically could be a nightmare for Tito if he can stay relaxed.If kalule had a better chin he'd end up winning comfortably, but i've gone back and forth on it before and i'm not sure he wouldn't end up getting too aggressive and hurt.
A nice detailed post.

I certainly think Mosley and McGirt have the tools to get the better of Trinidad at 147lbs. McGirt with his jab and sharp, accurate punching would pose a lot of problems for Trinidad during his more static and one-dimensional years. Mosley? I don't know, I think Trinidad would struggle with the pace. Mosley had the speed and agility to be throwing a lot of punches. I see him getting his shots off quicker. Trinidad would never be set, and I certainly don't see one or two shots getting Mosley out of there.I'm not sure on either of them, but Trinidad would have his hands full with both. I'm comfortable with saying that.
Addie is offline  Top
Old 02-17-2013, 01:35 PM   #11
The Funny Man 7
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1326

He was extremely efficient, well conditioned, and an amazing finisher. The comparisons to Louis are apt in that regard.

That said, we're not sure how many fights he won with improper handwraps. Also, as much as I respect his abilities, it still rankles me the way he so blatantly fouled Vargas everytime Fernando got a little momentum going in their fight.
The Funny Man 7 is offline  Top
Old 02-17-2013, 01:42 PM   #12
lora
Fighting Zapata
ESB Addict

Mosley will probably have clearly the better of it early, but i just question his will in a shootout with Tito.

He had his whole career arc changed because of some rough stuff and heavy rights from Forrest, turning him into a far more gunshy one punch at a time fighter almost overnight.

I could be selling him short, but i have a hard time seeing him take the kind of shots he'll need to win very well mentally.He's certainly got the combo of durability and power to beat Tito when combined with his other abilities.Just not sure about his toughness and versatility.

An old school non-title ten rounder would be best for Mosley's chances.

McGirt i wouldn't be too shocked either if he negotiated things from the outside, befuddled Felix and earned enough respect with his right hand.However i'm not sure about him physically either, he started to lose his legs and stamina quite quickly at welter and could struggle to maintain the same sharpness for 12 rounds.With Tito's range advantage and pressure i could see him closing the gap and dominating late en route to a close decision win or late stoppage.He's a tougher more talented prospect physically than the dried out looking, declining skills Simon Brown that McGirt schooled.Might have to be the earlier better punchpicking Tito though.
lora is offline  Top
Old 02-17-2013, 02:19 PM   #13
lufcrazy
requiescat in pace
East Side VIP

vCash: 330

If your there to be hit you will struggle to defeat Tito. I mean he outlasted both mayorga and Vargas in great wars of attrition and that speaks volumes to me.

He can be outboxed but I dont think he can be outfought between 147-154. In terms of the best I'd favour him over I think the likes of Griffith and Basilio lose to him.
lufcrazy is offline  Top
Old 02-17-2013, 02:28 PM   #14
lora
Fighting Zapata
ESB Addict

Getting drawn into a war of attrition with Vargas(who was 6\10 sort of fighter for offence and durability) and letting him back into the fight, struggling\needing lowblows to hold him off in the mid-rounds is not something i'd point to as evidence of him being impossible to outfight luf.

More likely it's evidence that a tank like Basilio would manhandle and grind over the top of him eventually.Tito vs Demarco would be a better fight.
lora is offline  Top
Old 02-17-2013, 02:33 PM   #15
lufcrazy
requiescat in pace
East Side VIP

vCash: 330

Quote:
Originally Posted by lora View Post
Getting drawn into a war of attrition with Vargas(who was 6\10 sort of fighter for offence and durability) and letting him back into the fight, struggling\needing lowblows to hold him off in the mid-rounds is not something i'd point to as evidence of him being impossible to outfight luf.

More likely it's evidence that a tank like Basilio would manhandle and grind over the top of him eventually.Tito vs Demarco would be a better fight.
The best two brawlers around were Vargas and mayorga in my opinion. He outfought them both and that says a lot to me.

I think that unless you outmaneuver him and outbox him you aren't gonna beat him imo.

There isn't a single ww who I'd pick to beat him in a straight up war.
lufcrazy is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum