Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 02-17-2013, 02:43 PM   #16
Addie
MAB.
East Side VIP

vCash: 842
Default Re: Tito Trinidad

Mayorga was made to order for Trinidad. He was tough, but when you stand there and let a fighter of Trinidad's caliber rattle off two flush left hooks onto your dome then you're just asking to get knocked out. Mayorga doesn't have a very effective defense at the best of times, he really didn't need to show off by letting Tito tee-off on him. Cool moment, but what a fool.

As for Vargas, had he really been known to outlast fighters in firefights? I thought he was more of a boxer-puncher who hadn't gone near a ring with anyone like a Trinidad before. I remember a triple left hook that Vargas landed on Trinidad. It started off as an uppercut and then he hooked it. All three shots landed, Trinidad wobbled, and I was very impressed. I didn't think he had the craft to be doing stuff like that.

I just watched Trinidad destroy Blocker in two rounds. The guy was a devastating offensive machine.
Addie is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 02-17-2013, 02:49 PM   #17
lufcrazy
requiescat in pace
East Side VIP

vCash: 330

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Mayorga was made to order for Trinidad. He was tough, but when you stand there and let a fighter of Trinidad's caliber rattle off two flush left hooks onto your dome then you're just asking to get knocked out. Mayorga doesn't have a very effective defense at the best of times, he really didn't need to show off by letting Tito tee-off on him. Cool moment, but what a fool.

As for Vargas, had he really been known to outlast fighters in firefights? I thought he was more of a boxer-puncher who hadn't gone near a ring with anyone like a Trinidad before. I remember a triple left hook that Vargas landed on Trinidad. It started off as an uppercut and then he hooked it. All three shots landed, Trinidad wobbled, and I was very impressed. I didn't think he had the craft to be doing stuff like that.

I just watched Trinidad destroy Blocker in two rounds. The guy was a devastating offensive machine.
That's pretty much my point. If you're there to be hit he's gonna knock you out.
lufcrazy is offline  Top
Old 02-17-2013, 02:51 PM   #18
Addie
MAB.
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by lufcrazy View Post
That's pretty much my point. If you're there to be hit he's gonna knock you out.
How do you feel he handles Duran at 147lbs?
Addie is offline  Top
Old 02-17-2013, 02:52 PM   #19
Addie
MAB.
East Side VIP

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
Addie is offline  Top
Old 02-17-2013, 02:56 PM   #20
lufcrazy
requiescat in pace
East Side VIP

Quote:
How do you feel he handles Duran at 147lbs?
Duran is too highly skilled for me to favour Tito over him. He also has huge power himself and I'm not sure Tito could take a flush counter on the chin.
lufcrazy is offline  Top
Old 02-17-2013, 03:00 PM   #21
PowerPuncher
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

Offensively a machine but his footwork and approach coming forward meant defensive boxers could outmanouver him. He'd do well against come forward guys but probably look poor against boxers. I think he beats Pacquaio, Armstrong, Basilio, McLarnin, Cuveas actually allot of the smaller guys would struggle because of his size. Him against Napoles and Mosley are interesting fights he might win. Walker suits him stylistically too

I do wonder if he was drained for the Delahoya fight and it gave a poor impression of him. Based on that fight though I wouldn't give him much of a shot against Gavilian, Quartey, Mayweather or Prime Whitaker. But maybe he is better than that shows? I don't know
PowerPuncher is offline  Top
Old 02-17-2013, 03:03 PM   #22
Addie
MAB.
East Side VIP

Quote:
Duran is too highly skilled for me to favour Tito over him. He also has huge power himself and I'm not sure Tito could take a flush counter on the chin.
Yeah. I don't think Trinidad could do much with Duran myself. Duran, assuming he trains and wants to win the fight, is strong enough to dictate where this fight is going to be fought at. Close quarters. Thing is, I don't think Duran would outbox him as much as I think he would outfight him, so I suppose I disagree with the idea that nobody can outfight Trinidad at 147lbs. Push the pace, smother Trinidad's work, he can't do anything with you.

Quote:
I do wonder if he was drained for the Delahoya fight and it gave a poor impression of him. Based on that fight though I wouldn't give him much of a shot against Gavilian, Quartey, Mayweather or Prime Whitaker. But maybe he is better than that shows? I don't know
Tito wanted the fight at 147lbs perhaps more than anyone, didn't he? Was he reported to have struggled to make weight when he fought Whitaker?
Addie is offline  Top
Old 02-17-2013, 03:08 PM   #23
salsanchezfan
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Quote:
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
Yeah, that's the one. No one had any idea who this kid was at the time, and he explodes out of nowhere to put up THAT. Hell of an entrance onto the scene.

As an aside, his father Felix Sr. was knocked out by Salvador Sanchez.
salsanchezfan is offline  Top
Old 02-17-2013, 03:29 PM   #24
ripcity
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Location: "Somebody may beat me, but they are going to have to bleed to do it."
vCash: 887

+ Has great power, Moves on his feet really well
- Questionable chin, Despite being very good on his feet, lacks a jab.

My opinion is that he has a chance with anyone at 147-154.
ripcity is offline  Top
Old 02-17-2013, 04:07 PM   #25
lufcrazy
requiescat in pace
East Side VIP

Quote:
Yeah. I don't think Trinidad could do much with Duran myself. Duran, assuming he trains and wants to win the fight, is strong enough to dictate where this fight is going to be fought at. Close quarters. Thing is, I don't think Duran would outbox him as much as I think he would outfight him, so I suppose I disagree with the idea that nobody can outfight Trinidad at 147lbs. Push the pace, smother Trinidad's work, he can't do anything with you.

Tito wanted the fight at 147lbs perhaps more than anyone, didn't he? Was he reported to have struggled to make weight when he fought Whitaker?
I dont think he would slug with Tito. I think his defence and timing would give him the edge as he'd avoid taking a lot of shots whilst landing a lot of his own.
lufcrazy is offline  Top
Old 02-17-2013, 04:36 PM   #26
Addie
MAB.
East Side VIP

Quote:
I dont think he would slug with Tito. I think his defence and timing would give him the edge as he'd avoid taking a lot of shots whilst landing a lot of his own.
I was thinking about this, but how often did we actually see Duran outbox opponents? We saw him over-power and outfight a lot of fighters at 135lbs, and I would say he outfought Ray at 147lbs, but when did we actually see him stay at mid range and make opponent's miss and counter them? Moore and Barkley? Who else. I'm not suggesting it never happened, I'm just curious as to what fights I should be looking out for. I watched him to lose to De Jesus the other day. He seemed to struggle to impose his will on De Jesus after being hit with the left hook early on.

Last edited by Addie; 02-17-2013 at 04:56 PM.
Addie is offline  Top
Old 02-17-2013, 04:48 PM   #27
LittleRed
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 475

Quote:
I was thinking about this, but how often did we actually see outbox opponents? We saw him outpower and outfight a lot of fighters at 135lbs, and I would say he outfought Ray at 147lbs, but when did we actually see him stay at mid range and make opponent's miss and counter them? Moore and Barkley? Who else. I'm not suggesting it never happened, I'm just curious as to what fights I should be looking out for. I watched him to lose to De Jesus the other day. He seemed to struggle to impose his will on De Jesus after being hit with the left hook early on.
Dejesus 3, Palomino, Gimenez.
LittleRed is offline  Top
Old 02-17-2013, 04:56 PM   #28
lufcrazy
requiescat in pace
East Side VIP

Quote:
I was thinking about this, but how often did we actually see outbox opponents? We saw him outpower and outfight a lot of fighters at 135lbs, and I would say he outfought Ray at 147lbs, but when did we actually see him stay at mid range and make opponent's miss and counter them? Moore and Barkley? Who else. I'm not suggesting it never happened, I'm just curious as to what fights I should be looking out for. I watched him to lose to De Jesus the other day. He seemed to struggle to impose his will on De Jesus after being hit with the left hook early on.
How often did he fight a guy who was bigger than he and could outpower him?

when he did he boxed, in this fight he'd be the smaller man reliant on his skills and not his physique.
lufcrazy is offline  Top
Old 02-17-2013, 04:57 PM   #29
Addie
MAB.
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleRed View Post
Dejesus 3, Palomino, Gimenez.
Yeah, Palomino came to mind.
Addie is offline  Top
Old 02-17-2013, 05:03 PM   #30
lora
Fighting Zapata
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

Blocker had already been smashed to bits by Norris when Tito got to him.Good old Terry feasting on smaller fighters again.

Not that it wasn't an impressive destruction by Tito though.Mo probably could have defended the belt for another few years as long as he fought the kind of comp Tito would end up taking on himself, before probably being dethroned by someone like Carr in a competitive fight.
lora is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum