Old 02-17-2013, 05:06 PM   #31
lora
Fighting Zapata
ESB Addict

vCash: 500
Default Re: Tito Trinidad

Quote:
Originally Posted by lufcrazy View Post
The best two brawlers around were Vargas and mayorga in my opinion. He outfought them both and that says a lot to me.

I think that unless you outmaneuver him and outbox him you aren't gonna beat him imo.

There isn't a single ww who I'd pick to beat him in a straight up war.
Madness.

the sugar rays, Hearns, Napoles, Basilio etc would punch holes in him eventually.

He's just not durable enough or got the kind of sturdy legs needed to be in lengthy shootouts with the real elites.

Robinson would tear his head clean off.

And Vargas wasn't a brawler, not really.He was more of a generic textbook fighter, or at least tried to be, but one who was easy to draw into wars because of his warrior mindset, unspectacular skills and poor defence.Best performances were when he fought disciplined.
lora is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 02-17-2013, 05:10 PM   #32
Addie
MAB.
East Side VIP

vCash: 842

In fairness, the Basilio that couldn't beat the painfully average Chuck Davey is getting ****in' obliterated if he fights Trinidad, Lora. Chuck Davey was almost a non-fighter, it was embarrassing.
Addie is offline  Top
Old 02-17-2013, 05:16 PM   #33
lora
Fighting Zapata
ESB Addict

Basilio took a while to get going,true(whereas Tito had hit his prime by his third year imo), and Davey did indeed suck, but we're taking both in their prime here.

Davey could probably beat or at least trouble some of the lesser versions of Tito as well.The one that fought Wright was truly awful.Or any post hopkins comeback version.
lora is offline  Top
Old 02-17-2013, 05:18 PM   #34
El Bujia
Champion
East Side Guru

I'm a Tito fan. Love his punching technique. To touch on some earlier points, I'd give McGirt a much better shot than Mosley at beating him. The Simon Brown fight in particular makes me favor Buddy, as I don't really consider Tito any better than Brown. Not a black mark on Tito, though, as I've always been high on Brown (though I don't think he was the same fighter when he fought McGirt as he was early on).
El Bujia is offline  Top
Old 02-17-2013, 05:19 PM   #35
Lester1583
Can you hear this?
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by lora View Post
He's just not durable enough or got the kind of sturdy legs needed to be in lengthy shootouts with the real elites.
Valdez-Tito were somewhat similar in style - would have been a great fight.

Valdez would have tested Luf's theory of impossibility of out-slugging Tito.
Lester1583 is offline  Top
Old 02-17-2013, 05:20 PM   #36
El Bujia
Champion
East Side Guru

Valdez would've murderized Tito's face.
El Bujia is offline  Top
Old 02-17-2013, 05:22 PM   #37
Addie
MAB.
East Side VIP

vCash: 842

Quote:
Basilio took a while to get going,true(whereas Tito had hit his prime by his third year imo), and Davey did indeed suck, but we're taking both in their prime here.

Davey could probably beat or at least trouble some of the lesser versions of Tito as well.The one that fought Wright was truly awful.
Fair enough. It's hard to believe when watching Basilio get decisioned by the awkward fairy Chuck Davey that he'd go on to give Gavilan and Robinson real fights. Davey got exposed for what he really was when he fought Gavilan. Funny game, Boxing.

...And didn't Davey stop Ike Williams? Apparently Williams later claimed he threw the fight. Thoughts?
Addie is offline  Top
Old 02-17-2013, 05:24 PM   #38
lora
Fighting Zapata
ESB Addict

Valdez had the slick Kalule upperbody movement though.

To be honest i think valdez would obliterate Tito at middle.Easier time that he had with Tonna or Briscoe.

On the other hand Tito vs the earlier less seasoned version that had plenty of fights around the Welter\junior middle range could be a lot more interesting.
lora is offline  Top
Old 02-17-2013, 05:34 PM   #39
El Bujia
Champion
East Side Guru

Yeah, Valdez had the awesome upper body work combined with low level footwork. Looked a lot better against someone like Briscoe (or I'd assume Tito) than the cuties.
El Bujia is offline  Top
Old 02-17-2013, 05:40 PM   #40
lufcrazy
requiescat in pace
East Side VIP

vCash: 330

Quote:
Madness.

the sugar rays, Hearns, Napoles, Basilio etc would punch holes in him eventually.

Robinson would tear his head clean off.

And Vargas wasn't a brawler, not really.He was more of a generic textbook fighter, or at least tried to be, but one who was easy to draw into wars because of his warrior mindset, unspectacular skills and poor defence.Best performances were when he fought disciplined.
Despite you claiming madness, I agree with every single word here bar one
lufcrazy is offline  Top
Old 02-17-2013, 05:55 PM   #41
dinovelvet
Up Top To The Head
East Side Guru

vCash: 86

Tito was a great fighter. At 147 he was able to outbox Pernel he was more technically proficient than Duran and i see him causing him all sorts of problems just like Leonard did in the rematch. Would be a great fight and could go either way imo.
dinovelvet is offline  Top
Old 02-17-2013, 06:16 PM   #42
lufcrazy
requiescat in pace
East Side VIP

vCash: 330

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinovelvet View Post
Tito was a great fighter. At 147 he was able to outbox Pernel he was more technically proficient than Duran and i see him causing him all sorts of problems just like Leonard did in the rematch. Would be a great fight and could go either way imo.
lufcrazy is offline  Top
Old 02-17-2013, 06:57 PM   #43
BoxingFanPhil
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Entertaining fighter.
BoxingFanPhil is offline  Top
Old 02-17-2013, 07:12 PM   #44
cuchulain
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
What do we all think of Tito Trinidad? I've not seen a great deal of him, admittedly, but I think he was a real offensive force at his peak. Great delivery, hit hard with both hands, and was very smooth when punching in combination. Great variety. If Tito Trinidad could find you with regularity than you were in deep trouble. Still, he wasn't infallible. Not by any stretch. Balance issues and not the sturdiest chin in the world attributed to quite a few knockdowns during his highly successful career. It was not unusual to see Trinidad be put on the seat of his pants during the first couple of rounds, even if he was fighting relatively modest opposition. Campas, for example. Trinidad was outboxed in every fight he lost, and even in some that he won (on the official scorecards). Again, maybe this was due to his lack of footwork and foot speed. That all said, Trinidad was a force during the 90s. No question about it.

Question is, who are the best Welterweights and Junior Middleweights that you'd favour a prime Trinidad to beat?

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
cuchulain is online now  Top
Old 02-17-2013, 07:14 PM   #45
El Bujia
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinovelvet View Post
Yeah, it's like with Earnie Shavers. Couldn't crack an egg with his punch but what a skillful fighter. Iron chin, too.

On the real though, you ever watched Tito fight? Or any of the guys you just mentioned?
El Bujia is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum