Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 02-26-2013, 04:31 PM   #1
SkillspayBills
Mandanda Running E-Pen
East Side VIP

vCash: 500
Lightbulb Your The Referee Thread

Right we talk of early stoppages, fights going on to long. KD's that should of been. Warnings that should of been given.

Let's put ourselves in the referee's shows and spark some decent debate.

I would of used the Thompson punch if it was borderline but it's a totally legal punch IMO so i tried to find a similarish punch which was more nearer to being illegal when Enzo Mac caught Hobson in second fight and stopped him early. It was near to back of head but referee felt it was legal and Enzo won.

So had a look about and opted for Guerrero vs Berto. 1:13 onwards do you allow it as KD or call a foul and give Berto time to recover while reading riot act to Guerrero?.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
Add your own as we go along, This one's pretty cut and dry. Just couldn't get the Enzo-Hobson II clip..
SkillspayBills is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 02-26-2013, 04:33 PM   #2
SkillspayBills
Mandanda Running E-Pen
East Side VIP

Default Re: Your The Referee Thread

''I am the weferee'' .
Old 02-26-2013, 04:43 PM   #3
DrMo
Team GB
East Side VIP

vCash: 122

He's hitting & holding, its a clear foul & no KD. I'd have a little word with Guerrero & get the fight back on ASAP.

Here's the big one....would you have stopped Taylor vs Chavez?
DrMo is offline  Top
Old 02-26-2013, 04:48 PM   #4
Bill C84
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 81

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMo View Post
He's hitting & holding, its a clear foul & no KD. I'd have a little word with Guerrero & get the fight back on ASAP.

I think I would of, I would have had to, it doesn't matter if its the 1st second of a round or last second of a fight, if a fighter was gone then his safety has to come first.

Difficult one though.
Bill C84 is offline  Top
Old 02-26-2013, 04:56 PM   #5
DrMo
Team GB
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill C84 View Post
I think I would of, I would have had to, it doesn't matter if its the 1st second of a round or last second of a fight, if a fighter was gone then his safety has to come first.

Difficult one though.
Yeah thats how I feel about it, a very controversial decision but I'm always reluctant to criticise a ref for stopping a fight a second too early. Thats always better than stopping a fight too late imo.
DrMo is offline  Top
Old 02-26-2013, 04:59 PM   #6
Daruf
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 704

I would always stop Taylor - Chavez.... ref is not the timekeeper, and you have a fighter completely unresponsive after twice being asked if hes ok.
Daruf is offline  Top
Old 02-26-2013, 05:24 PM   #7
SkillspayBills
Mandanda Running E-Pen
East Side VIP

Taylor vs Chavez the age old question..

I'd have to say although i cannot see Taylors facial expressions and if eyes are clear from Camera angle. He didn't respond to the questions asked of him, He was taking a prolonged beating and was finally wilting so much so he went down and was distressed.

The question is: Is he in a condition to defend himself?. Well he's not answering back, He's just gone down. I'd favor the referee on this and stop the fight.

My reasoning is also boxing (12 rounds) is a 36 minute contest, contested over 3 minute rounds. There was time on the clock for a fatal blow to be thrown. As the referee your not in the bussiness of time management your job is to make sure fighters leave the ring safely. Meldrick was pretty much gone he's used ropes to help himself up. He's continued to hold the ropes as well and look away from ref. Swelling around the face as well..

Sorry Meldrick *Waves fight off and shakes head compassionately*

It's so sad looking at Meldricks life since and how things turned out..
Old 02-26-2013, 05:32 PM   #8
Daruf
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 704

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkillspayBills View Post
Taylor vs Chavez the age old question..

I'd have to say although i cannot see Taylors facial expressions and if eyes are clear from Camera angle. He didn't respond to the questions asked of him, He was taking a prolonged beating and was finally wilting so much so he went down and was distressed.

The question is: Is he in a condition to defend himself?. Well he's not answering back, He's just gone down. I'd favor the referee on this and stop the fight.

My reasoning is also boxing (12 rounds) is a 36 minute contest, contested over 3 minute rounds. There was time on the clock for a fatal blow to be thrown. As the referee your not in the bussiness of time management your job is to make sure fighters leave the ring safely. Meldrick was pretty much gone he's used ropes to help himself up. He's continued to hold the ropes as well and look away from ref. Swelling around the face as well..

Sorry Meldrick *Waves fight off and shakes head compassionately*

It's so sad looking at Meldricks life since and how things turned out..
For the people that still argue about Steele should have given Taylor a break i wonder what they would have said if the same ref had let it continue and Chavez did get another salvo off that disabled or injured or even killed Taylor.

Im guessing they would have crucified him.
Daruf is offline  Top
Old 02-26-2013, 05:35 PM   #9
SkillspayBills
Mandanda Running E-Pen
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daruf View Post
For the people that still argue about Steele should have given Taylor a break i wonder what they would have said if the same ref had let it continue and Chavez did get another salvo off that disabled or injured or even killed Taylor.

Im guessing they would have crucified him.
Agree totally he was in a no win situation there, People obviously felt Steele was under the work of King but to me 5 seconds is a long time in a ring and boxers only need half a second to land something big. I'm glad Steele called it off because he's not there to look at red lights showing time he's there to manage fighters.
Old 02-26-2013, 05:40 PM   #10
Trail
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:

Yes, Taylor was out of there. There's a gent on here who goes under the name of John Garfield, he was ringside that night, he said Taylor was a dead man walking in the latter rounds.

"YOU OKAY TAYLOR?" - Richard Steele

No response, the guy had been knocked from pillar to post, whether there had been ten minutes left, or two seconds, it was justified...and don't give me all that crap about how Taylor 'dominated', he was good for six rounds, and then he gassed. The punch that almost sparked him out (almost) in the last round was/is pretty much as good as it gets.
Trail is offline  Top
Old 02-26-2013, 05:48 PM   #11
Trail
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Agree totally he was in a no win situation there, People obviously felt Steele was under the work of King but to me 5 seconds is a long time in a ring and boxers only need half a second to land something big. I'm glad Steele called it off because he's not there to look at red lights showing time he's there to manage fighters.
You hit the nail on the head there..
Trail is offline  Top
Old 02-26-2013, 05:52 PM   #12
Bill C84
Champion
East Side Guru

Its a job I wouldn't like to do plus I don't think I would be any good at it, its ok looking back at footage and saying when a fight should be stopped but **** being in that ring wrapped up in the moment and having to make that call, that's a responsibility I couldn't cope with.
Bill C84 is offline  Top
Old 02-26-2013, 06:00 PM   #13
GazOC
Guest Star for Team Taff
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Sad as I am I timed how long it took for Don Curry to walk the full diagonal of the ring to get to Milton McCrory to deliver the fight ending combo. Something like 1 second and Curry was in no particular rush either so there was enough of time for that Chavez-taylor fight to end in tragedy.

And its not as if Steele was the timekeeper in any case!
GazOC is offline  Top
Old 02-26-2013, 06:03 PM   #14
DrMo
Team GB
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill C84 View Post
Its a job I wouldn't like to do plus I don't think I would be any good at it, its ok looking back at footage and saying when a fight should be stopped but **** being in that ring wrapped up in the moment and having to make that call, that's a responsibility I couldn't cope with.
I'd like to see you referee Cleverly's next fight. I'm sure you'd be fair
DrMo is offline  Top
Old 02-26-2013, 06:12 PM   #15
Bill C84
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
I'd like to see you referee Cleverly's next fight. I'm sure you'd be fair
Of course.