Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 02-21-2013, 07:56 PM   #1
VBOX
JOURNEYMAN
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 90
Default Revisiting Past Fights/Boxing History Puts Things In Perspective

For months leading up to Miguel Cotto's bout with Austin Trout there was a lot of talk on the forum about a rematch with Floyd Mayweather and/or a big showdown with rising star Saul Alvarez. Austin Trout was an afterthought and viewed almost like a stay busy fight, I am not in the mood to cut and paste previous comments but trust me, as a guy that picked Trout going into that fight I found it strange how he was being overlooked, not taken seriously. Fast forward to present day and a fight between Cotto and Mayweather or Alvarez doesn't have nearly as much interest, if any.

Miguel Cotto's boxing ability has not gotten any worse the day after Trout beat him then the day before, and Trout's ability has not gotten better since the weigh in of their fight. So fans go from being excited for the potential matchup between Cotto and another boxing star to him being viewed as a possible gatekeeper.

Cotto may well be overrated and deserves to be a gatekeeper, I don't know, it however makes you think that boxing is sometimes more about names, wins, losses, final results then it is about what's taking place in the ring. It makes me realize that every name of today will be tomorrows has-beens and every nobody of today might end up being one of tomorrows stars.

Feel free to comment or add your own examples of how looking back gives you a different perspective on things.
VBOX is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 02-21-2013, 08:01 PM   #2
Gander Tasco
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 500
Default Re: Revisiting Past Fights/Boxing History Puts Things In Perspective

boxing fans are fickle. They only remember you for your last fight. Some fans were saying Cotto was rejuvenated when he fought Mayweather. Now when he loses to Trout he's back to being shot again. People will just say whatever suits their bias.
Gander Tasco is offline  Top
Old 02-21-2013, 08:17 PM   #3
VBOX
JOURNEYMAN
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 90
Default Re: Revisiting Past Fights/Boxing History Puts Things In Perspective

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gander Tasco View Post
boxing fans are fickle. They only remember you for your last fight. Some fans were saying Cotto was rejuvenated when he fought Mayweather. Now when he loses to Trout he's back to being shot again. People will just say whatever suits their bias.
What have you done for me lately?

Last edited by VBOX; 02-22-2013 at 06:08 PM.
VBOX is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum