Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 02-19-2013, 02:12 PM   #1
ImElvis666
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 227381
Default If Mayweather has as tough a fight with Guerrero as he did with Cotto....

he'll either lose to the Trout/Canelo winner or he'll avoid them.

Mayweather's undefeated label is the backbone of his marketability. A loss would hurt his income of future fights. I can't see him fancying fighting a big strong light middleweight on the back of a career best win if he struggles with a blown up lightweight/light welterweight in Guerrero.

Last edited by ImElvis666; 02-19-2013 at 07:38 PM.
ImElvis666 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 02-19-2013, 02:59 PM   #2
ImElvis666
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 227381
Default Re: If Mayweather struggles with Guerrero as much as he did with Cotto....

Agree, disagree?
ImElvis666 is offline  Top
Old 02-19-2013, 03:01 PM   #3
MannySteward
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 806
Default Re: If Mayweather struggles with Guerrero as much as he did with Cotto....

Mayweather didn't struggle with Cotto. He convincingly beat him down over 12 rounds. When Mayweather loses a couple of rounds it doesn't mean that he struggled. Cotto is never going to be a walk over for anybody.
MannySteward is offline  Top
Old 02-19-2013, 03:03 PM   #4
Emeritus
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 500

Mayweather didn't struggle with Cotto, you don't win double the rounds of your opponent and use the word "struggle" in the sentence.

Anyway Mayweather is going to tear up Guerrero bank on it!
Emeritus is offline  Top
Old 02-19-2013, 03:23 PM   #5
ArseBandit
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 2738

Guerrero is not Cotto. Leagues apart.
ArseBandit is offline  Top
Old 02-19-2013, 04:01 PM   #6
ReE13
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Guerrero will win in 3 rounds.
ReE13 is offline  Top
Old 02-19-2013, 04:16 PM   #7
rodney
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Didn't struggle with Cotto. Beat him at his own game. Almost Ko.
rodney is offline  Top
Old 02-19-2013, 04:18 PM   #8
Gander Tasco
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodney View Post
Didn't struggle with Cotto. Beat him at his own game. Almost Ko.
If losing 4 rounds and being in a rough, competitive fight for all 12 rounds isn't struggling I dunno what is.
Gander Tasco is offline  Top
Old 02-19-2013, 04:21 PM   #9
dwighttsharpe
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Don't think he would ever avoid Canelo. I do believe he would not be so eager to fight Trout.

Doubt if he will be fighting anyone outside of 147 again, except Canelo. Possibly Martinez as his last fight.
dwighttsharpe is offline  Top
Old 02-19-2013, 04:26 PM   #10
Hatesrats
"Al Grito De Guerra"
East Side VIP

vCash: 3000

Guererro is going to surprise alot of people who are expecting a walkover by Mayweather.
Lets just hope Mayweather don't catch a head but or an elbow in the clinch.
(RG likes to fight in the clinch, unlike most of Floyd's recent opponents)
^Joe Cortez is retired now.
Hatesrats is offline  Top
Old 02-19-2013, 04:28 PM   #11
jeffjoiner
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 5174

Cotto came to fight and laid it all on the line. I'd say Floyd being in an exciting fight did nothing but help his marketability.

Plus, a lot of people want to see Mayweather lose. Being perceived as a little vulnerable will entice them.
jeffjoiner is offline  Top
Old 02-19-2013, 04:28 PM   #12
elchivito
master betty
East Side VIP

vCash: 107

Don't think Floyd struggled, but Cotto was very competitive. I don't think Floyd dominated as much as most think. Cotto been thru the grinder compared to Floyd. To say Cotto is leagues above Guerrero, maybe in boxing skill, sure, but we are barely seeing the best of Guerrero at his prime, at his best, while we've already seen the best of Cotto which has come and gone. If Floyd struggles or even loses to Guerrero that really shouldn't be a bad thing. It's not the first or the last time a superstar loses to an underdog. Some fighters last at the top for years, some only last on top for 2-3 years. Guerrero seems to have found his stride. Guerrero being better than either Canelo or Trout wouldn't surprise me at all he has a better chin than both that's for sure. Guerrero might not have the athleticism or fancy footwork of Canelo or Trout, but sometimes fighters substitute skills with ruggedness and old fashioned determination. And many times will over skill happens. Floyd has alot of skill, but Guerrero seems to have alot of will. Wouldn't suprise me one bit if Guerrero can make him struggle badly, much, much more than Canelo or Trout ever would.
elchivito is offline  Top
Old 02-19-2013, 04:31 PM   #13
ElTrigueno
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Any ref is better than the ref for Mares v Abgeko I or Berto v Guerrero. Matter of fact, bring in Benji Estevez. He deserves to be in the bright lights.
ElTrigueno is offline  Top
Old 02-19-2013, 04:33 PM   #14
BOGART
Belt holder
ESB Addict

I think Guerrero puts up a decent fight against Mayweather. I don't think he beats Floyd but he'll do ok.

I do think this Showtime deal might push the Alvarez fight back a year or two. Mayweather may possibly fight 5 times after Guerrero so he's going to need a number of opponents who are good but probably don't beat him so he can stay undefeated which is a big marketing apsect of Mayweather.

I wouldn't be shocked if Mayweather sticks to 147, where GBP is deep, for awhile while a possible Mayweather-Alvarez is built up and also comes near the end of Mayweather's contract. I think we are more likely to get guys like Khan, Alexander, Malignaggi, etc fighting Mayweather in his next fights instead of Alvarez. Hopefully GBP matches up their top welters for a shot at Mayweather.
BOGART is offline  Top
Old 02-19-2013, 04:33 PM   #15
macalpinerules
Contender
ESB Senior Member

I expect Floyd to have a similar fight with Guerrero as the one he had with Ortiz.
macalpinerules is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum