Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 02-22-2013, 07:06 AM   #1
atberry
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default New York presser, Aug '94, (Eubank, Benn & American Superstars)

Don King held a press conference in Aug '94, that included Eubank, Benn, Gerald McClellan, Terry Norris, Frankie Liles and Jorge Castro. Watching the Showtime footage of it, here are some Eubank quotes from it;

"I'm not fighting for belts, I'm not fighting for glory, I'm not fighting for the Hall of Fame. I'm fighting for hard cash. Blood money. That's it. That's why I bank more than any boxer out there, other than heavyweights, and I wouldn't have it any other way."

"These are all reasonably tough fighters who can punch well and hard, some outstanding fighters here. But I grew up here as a boxer, I grew up in New York City at the start of my boxing career, and (Merqui) Sosa, (Alex) Ramos, (a) fellow called Johnnie Banks Walker, (and a) fellow called Milton Guest; they were killers, animals.

"These were the spar partners of the two best fighters in the world in Hagler and McCallum. Me dealing with these kind of guys seven days a week for five years straight put me in good stead many years ago, and I'm stronger now than I've ever been.

"If it comes down to two men exchanging punches in the middle of the ring, toe-to-toe, I will always end up the victor. So let them dissapprove of me, let them dislike me - it'll give me more chance of defeating them, and in turn, increase my earning capacity in the United States.

"That's if indeed particular fights come to fruition in accordance with the business side of things, of course.

"I've already beaten Nigel over there, and in fact, I didn't just beat him, I beat him to within an inch of his life!"

"Nigel, did I not beat you to within an inch of your life!?"

"I'm a polite man, a respectful man, particular towards other exhibitors of fighting, but seeing as you probe me, and you probe me to answer and I have a duty to answer questions, let me put it like this - I am the complete fighting machine when I get in a ring.

"I can box, I can fight, I can punch. Mr Norris is a boxer, is he a puncher at the super-middleweight level, I doubt it. Jorge here is I believe a fighter, OK, in that whatever he might lack in boxing-punching he makes it for with fighting.

"Gerald McClellan - you're an awesome puncher, but you've never been 12 rounds. You've never been in the 9th, 10th, 11th and 12th rounds of a fight of attrition.

"And this gentleman (Liles), one of his biggest strength perhaps is that he's southpaw. I defeated the best southpaw in Europe by nine rounds a few months ago, away from home I might add, and this European had the best winning record in Europe apart from myself, and I beat him by nine rounds - I know how to deal with a southpaw."

"I'll fight on the Moon if the money is right. I have no qualms about coming back to North America to box in the next 12 months, be it New York, New Jersey or Nevada. And I have no qualms about travelling to South America to box, somewhere like Mexico or Argentina."
atberry is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 02-22-2013, 02:06 PM   #2
jdempsey85
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1032
Default Re: New York presser, Aug '94, (Eubank, Benn & American Superstars)

Wheres the video christopher?

You dont want to be known as the senor pepe of the british forum

Last edited by jdempsey85; 02-22-2013 at 03:46 PM.
jdempsey85 is offline  Top
Old 02-22-2013, 02:18 PM   #3
Semtex
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 580

where is the footage?
Semtex is offline  Top
Old 02-22-2013, 05:27 PM   #4
atberry
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

I'll upload it on Monday.
atberry is offline  Top
Old 02-22-2013, 07:34 PM   #5
HeavyT
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

Whats your connection to eubank? Interesting read nonetheless.
HeavyT is offline  Top
Old 03-06-2013, 12:08 PM   #6
jdempsey85
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1032

Quote:
Originally Posted by atberry View Post
I'll upload it on Monday.
have u put this up yet?
jdempsey85 is offline  Top
Old 03-06-2013, 12:12 PM   #7
PaulieMc
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 416

There is only one Chris Eubank.
PaulieMc is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum