Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 02-23-2013, 12:52 PM   #16
Colonel Sanders
NSB defector
ESB Addict

vCash: 500
Default Re: Jim Jeffries v Pinklon Thomas,Bonecrusher,& Witherspoon ?

Jeffries was a crawler in his prime, wasn't he ? I think Smith having to punch down at a target would give him problems. He was not exactly a good boxer either, and he had no inside game. He was a limited banger.

Jeffries UD15 Smith

I also think Jeffries would do well against the plodding/come forward Whiterspoon. I see a SD here for one or the other. Jeffries has the size and the strength to prevent Tim from bullying him.

Now, Thomas is the biggest problem for Jeffries. The jab, athleticism and overall ability is probably too much. Thomas scores a very late stoppage (rounds 13 onwards) or wins a wide UD.
Colonel Sanders is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 02-23-2013, 01:04 PM   #17
janitor
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamus View Post
Did said light heavy ever have the sack to challenge a prime heavyweight like Spoon or Pinky? Or did he instead fight a Norwegian pastry and an overgrown Leprechaun with a penchant for the booger sugar?
If he had fought any of these guys, he would probably have gone into the fight as the betting favourite.

My point is that you over value the size argument.

Michael Spinks weighed 170lbs a few months before he ripped the title from Holmes. That is less than Bob Fitzsimmons in most of his heavyweight fights.

Of course he had the use of various modern suplements which were unavailable to Fitzsimmons, which alowed him to fill out to 199 lbs.

You will always get fighters like that penetrating the heavyweight division though.

Last edited by janitor; 02-23-2013 at 01:25 PM.
janitor is offline  Top
Old 02-23-2013, 01:24 PM   #18
Seamus
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by janitor View Post
I
Michael Spinks weighed 170lbs a few months before he ripped the title from Jeffries.
I want some of what you are smoking.

Quote:
You will always get fighters like that penetrating the heavyweight division though.
Yes, for tiny little windows. They are opportunists who see old or middling titlists and grab the brass ring during these brief moments of vulnerability.
Seamus is online now  Top
Old 02-23-2013, 01:43 PM   #19
janitor
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Yes, for tiny little windows. They are opportunists who see old or middling titlists and grab the brass ring during these brief moments of vulnerability.
Hasn't it always been thus?

No light heavyweight has ever atained any degree of dominance in the heavyweight division.
janitor is offline  Top
Old 02-23-2013, 04:36 PM   #20
brnxhands
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 495

He would lose to all of them
brnxhands is offline  Top
Old 02-23-2013, 08:13 PM   #21
Seamus
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Hasn't it always been thus?

No light heavyweight has ever atained any degree of dominance in the heavyweight division.
Sure, it makes stuff exciting!

We (or most of us) love the underdog.

But longevity in the division is predicated upon durability, which is almost impossible without the requisite size.
Seamus is online now  Top
Old 02-24-2013, 04:45 AM   #22
turpinr
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
What's going to be at the forward, aft, starboard and port side of my mind is how Jeffries struggled against the lilly white Liliputians of his day.
jeffries was indestructible against middle weights
turpinr is offline  Top
Old 02-24-2013, 07:48 AM   #23
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Sanders View Post
Jeffries was a crawler in his prime, wasn't he ? I think Smith having to punch down at a target would give him problems. He was not exactly a good boxer either, and he had no inside game. He was a limited banger.

Jeffries UD15 Smith

I also think Jeffries would do well against the plodding/come forward Whiterspoon. I see a SD here for one or the other. Jeffries has the size and the strength to prevent Tim from bullying him.

Now, Thomas is the biggest problem for Jeffries. The jab, athleticism and overall ability is probably too much. Thomas scores a very late stoppage (rounds 13 onwards) or wins a wide UD.
I agree the slow pace of Bonecrusher, and Witherspoon would suit Jeffries, he said he had problems with the smaller Sharkey because Sharkey was always on him.
Ruhlin the biggest decent man Jeffries fought backpedalled in their title fight. How Jeffries would handle that thudding jab of Pink's is a poser to me too?

Last edited by mcvey; 03-16-2013 at 05:07 AM.
mcvey is offline  Top
Old 02-24-2013, 07:53 AM   #24
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
If he had fought any of these guys, he would probably have gone into the fight as the betting favourite.

My point is that you over value the size argument.

Michael Spinks weighed 170lbs a few months before he ripped the title from Holmes. That is less than Bob Fitzsimmons in most of his heavyweight fights.

Of course he had the use of various modern suplements which were unavailable to Fitzsimmons, which alowed him to fill out to 199 lbs.

Spinks scaled 175 for his last lhvy defence ,3 months prior to the Holmes fight .He put on 24lbs of muscle in 12 weeks.
Imagine Fitz, or Choynski with Mackie Shilstone supervising their diets and conditioning?
mcvey is offline  Top
Old 02-24-2013, 03:05 PM   #25
janitor
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcvey View Post
Spinks scaled 175 for his last lhvy defence ,3 months prior to the Holmes fight .He put on 24lbs of muscle in 12 weeks.
Imagine Fitz, or Choynski with Mackie Shilstone supervising their diets and conditioning?
A 200lb Fitzsimmons is a terifying thought, and it is probably true to say that it could be done today.
janitor is offline  Top
Old 03-15-2013, 08:50 PM   #26
Nate 2011
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 500

I think Jeffries loses to all three. Bonecrusher, obviously the hardest puncher of the trio, would take Jeffries out inside the distance maybe not as dramatically as Jack Johnson did but he'd beat him inside the distance. And both Thomas and Witherspoon would beat him with a combinational textbook of boxing and inside fighting but they'd both beat him by decision. Witherspoon would probably have the toughest time of the three getting it done, due to his eratic tendancy of always not coming to into the ring in good shape and Pinklon "Pinky" would box J.Jeffries shoes off!
Nate 2011 is offline  Top
Old 03-16-2013, 06:59 AM   #27
janitor
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate 2011 View Post
I think Jeffries loses to all three. Bonecrusher, obviously the hardest puncher of the trio, would take Jeffries out inside the distance maybe not as dramatically as Jack Johnson did but he'd beat him inside the distance. And both Thomas and Witherspoon would beat him with a combinational textbook of boxing and inside fighting but they'd both beat him by decision. Witherspoon would probably have the toughest time of the three getting it done, due to his eratic tendancy of always not coming to into the ring in good shape and Pinklon "Pinky" would box J.Jeffries shoes off!
You make me wonder how Jeffries ever managed to win a fight.

I dount that yopu could find a genuinely great fighter from any era who would loose to "all three" of these men.
janitor is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum