Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-22-2013, 04:28 PM   #31
thawk888
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Northeastern United States
Posts: 8,996
vCash: 500
Default Re: Did HBO get rid of Floyd??

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Lucho View Post
fact is. at the end of the day...
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
thawk888 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-22-2013, 04:31 PM   #32
rayrobinson
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 5,121
vCash: 500
Default Re: Did HBO get rid of Floyd??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeritus View Post
Clearly the deal isn't the same as you are comparing apples and oranges.

The $84 Million your quoting is with PPV revenue this $250 Million deal refers to his guarantee he has PPV upside to come.

If the deal was the same why would he move?
This is the point of my whole question, rather than Floyd getting a better deal from Showtime, which it doesnt and I havent read anywhere that the 250 is a guarentee before PPV's.

Or is it that HBO didnt think it was worth investing further in a 36 year old fighter who fights once a year.

The numbers look big because as usual in the states they give the overall figures for a contract unlike say in the UK where we break contracts down more simplistically.

This doesnt look like Floyd is getting anything more than he was with HBO and I just want to know why and as of yet 30 posts have not changed my opinion.
rayrobinson is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 04:31 PM   #33
richie leon
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 1,668
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Did HBO get rid of Floyd??

Yes, obviously. HBO purposefully got rid of the guy who sold well over a million PPV's for each of his last 4 fights LOL
richie leon is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 04:39 PM   #34
rayrobinson
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 5,121
vCash: 500
Default Re: Did HBO get rid of Floyd??

Quote:
Originally Posted by richie leon View Post
Yes, obviously. HBO purposefully got rid of the guy who sold well over a million PPV's for each of his last 4 fights LOL
Clearly you dont understand what my point is , it doesnt matter how many PPV's Floyd sells its whether he makes a profit on those PPV's and enough of a profit to be valuable enough for HBO to want to invest further in.

Gross margins dont mean shit if you net is in the toilet.
rayrobinson is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 04:39 PM   #35
jeffjoiner
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Trying to make a dollar
Posts: 9,604
vCash: 5174
Default Re: Did HBO get rid of Floyd??

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkboat View Post
They did a mathematical calculation that resulted in Mayweather no being worth $250 million dollars to HBO.

Will be interesting to see if he fights as often a CBS thinks he will.
It's all business on both sides.

If any concern should arise it's that Showtime's boxing budget could be severely hamstrung by the Mayweather contract.
jeffjoiner is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 04:42 PM   #36
El Lucho
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 849
vCash: 1436
Default Re: Did HBO get rid of Floyd??

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayrobinson View Post
Maybe I am wrong but the offer looks to be the same, I dont see any figures to say Floyd is getting more from Showtime?

250 for 6 with Showtime against 84 for his last two with HBO.

i dont think this is a stupid question and the reason I ask questions is because I dont know the answer and would like to be educated.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vidic View Post
'Did HBO get rid of Floyd' (the most profitable athlete on the planet) was the stupid part

the 250m I assume is a guarantee, and Floyd in addition to that will still have his bonuses like PPV upside

So lets say he has a guaranteed purse of 41m for each fight he takes (his previous highest against Cotto was 32m). He will then have PPV upside in addition to that..

Also, I am not sure that the 6 fight deal is actually a fixed contract but rather showtime protecting their investment so that FLoyd cannot fight for another broadcaster, he may only end up fighting 4 times or so
Quote:
Originally Posted by thawk888 View Post
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
fact is also, that would floyd have taken all challenges like the much smaller pac did..
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

than he surely would have landed on the ground like pac did

I am not saying he would have lost against them all, but one of those above mentioned would have put him to sleep and thats why he stayed as far away as he could from those above or waited till some quality names got old like mosley or cotto and even small, old cotto bloodied floyd and won around 3-4 rounds, than think about it what a prime margarito, a prime 6'3 pw or prime pac, let alone sergio wouldve done

pac is a midget 5'6 and fought anybody, without holding back, yes he paid for it not holding back and getting into action, he paid by being kod by marquez. but I prefer somebody boxing/fighting like a warrior and enteraining crowd like pac does than somebody winning in mostly boring fashion and holding back by punching 1 punch at a time and hiding away from real challenges. floyd is a big 5'8 tall boxer and to compare himself to pac, he shouldve moved and fought guys 2-3 inches taller than him, because that is exactly what pac did.
El Lucho is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 04:51 PM   #37
Emeritus
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: UK
Posts: 5,056
vCash: 500
Default Re: Did HBO get rid of Floyd??

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayrobinson View Post
This is the point of my whole question, rather than Floyd getting a better deal from Showtime, which it doesnt and I havent read anywhere that the 250 is a guarentee before PPV's.
The truth be told is I think you want to make this deal into some negative.......Forbes are reporting that this deal could be the biggest in history......

Nothing that anyone types here is going to change your mind, we all know that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayrobinson View Post
Or is it that HBO didnt think it was worth investing further in a 36 year old fighter who fights once a year.
HBO released a statement saying they had put an aggressive bid in so clearly they wanted him to stay, what more do you want them to say?

In addition it makes no difference that he fights once per year, he & HBO make more in that one event that all the other fighters who fight 2/3 times per year. The only exception might be for if Manny fights twice in a year.

"We made an aggressive and responsible pay per view offer and now we move on"

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayrobinson View Post
The numbers look big because as usual in the states they give the overall figures for a contract unlike say in the UK where we break contracts down more simplistically.
The numbers look big because they ARE big.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayrobinson View Post
This doesnt look like Floyd is getting anything more than he was with HBO and I just want to know why and as of yet 30 posts have not changed my opinion.
Like I said you are not comparing like for like, and besides you are not privy to what Mayweather earns none of us are, clearly Floyd would not move unless he was getting a better deal, I think it's safe to say he is getting a better deal and Im pretty sure it will be proved when his guarantee is submitted for his May 4th fight but even when it is you will have yet another excuse why not to take it on face value.
Emeritus is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 04:55 PM   #38
El Lucho
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 849
vCash: 1436
Default Re: Did HBO get rid of Floyd??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeritus View Post
The truth be told is I think you want to make this deal into some negative.......Forbes are reporting that this deal could be the biggest in history......

Nothing that anyone types here is going to change your mind, we all know that.



HBO released a statement saying they had put an aggressive bid in so clearly they wanted him to stay, what more do you want them to say?

In addition it makes no difference that he fights once per year, he & HBO make more in that one event that all the other fighters who fight 2/3 times per year. The only exception might be for if Manny fights twice in a year.

"We made an aggressive and responsible pay per view offer and now we move on"



The numbers look big because they ARE big.....



Like I said you are not comparing like for like, clearly Floyd would not move unless he was getting a better deal, I think it's safe to say he is getting a better deal and Im pretty sure it will be proved when his guarantee is submitted for his May 4th fight but even when it is you will have yet another excuse why not to take it on face value.

what are you guys caring how much money he gets?

does he give some $ to yall?

what should matter for you fans is who he fights and when I hear floyd mentioning names like guerrero and alexander instead of pac, sergio, canelo than fu$/&k floyd.
El Lucho is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 04:55 PM   #39
thawk888
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Northeastern United States
Posts: 8,996
vCash: 500
Default Re: Did HBO get rid of Floyd??

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Lucho View Post
fact is also, that would floyd have taken all challenges like the much smaller pac did..


than he surely would have landed on the ground like pac did

I am not saying he would have lost against them all, but one of those above mentioned would have put him to sleep and thats why he stayed as far away as he could from those above or waited till some quality names got old like mosley or cotto and even small, old cotto bloodied floyd and won around 3-4 rounds, than think about it what a prime margarito, a prime 6'3 pw or prime pac, let alone sergio wouldve done

pac is a midget 5'6 and fought anybody, without holding back, yes he paid for it not holding back and getting into action, he paid by being kod by marquez. but I prefer somebody boxing/fighting like a warrior and enteraining crowd like pac does than somebody winning in mostly boring fashion and holding back by punching 1 punch at a time and hiding away from real challenges. floyd is a big 5'8 tall boxer and to compare himself to pac, he shouldve moved and fought guys 2-3 inches taller than him, because that is exactly what pac did.
You're a Pactard through and through. Martinez is a middleweight. Mayweather fought Oscar DeLaHoya at 154. Was that less dangerous than Margarito? Paul Williams fight could've happened. Pacquiao never wanted the fight, and Canelo has a long line of Welter and Jww's on his ATG resume.

You're a ****boy and you have no logic to your argument. Pacquiao got laid out by a fighter Mayweather toyed with. You mad?
thawk888 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 05:00 PM   #40
rayrobinson
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 5,121
vCash: 500
Default Re: Did HBO get rid of Floyd??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeritus View Post
The truth be told is I think you want to make this deal into some negative.......Forbes are reporting that this deal could be the biggest in history......

Nothing that anyone types here is going to change your mind, we all know that.



HBO released a statement saying they had put an aggressive bid in so clearly they wanted him to stay, what more do you want them to say?

In addition it makes no difference that he fights once per year, he & HBO make more in that one event that all the other fighters who fight 2/3 times per year. The only exception might be for if Manny fights twice in a year.

"We made an aggressive and responsible pay per view offer and now we move on"



The numbers look big because they ARE big.....



Like I said you are not comparing like for like, and besides you are not privy to what Mayweather earns none of us are, clearly Floyd would not move unless he was getting a better deal, I think it's safe to say he is getting a better deal and Im pretty sure it will be proved when his guarantee is submitted for his May 4th fight but even when it is you will have yet another excuse why not to take it on face value.
You really have taken this the wrong way , I asume you think I attacking Floyd in someway . I am not my question is still the same, HBO look to be dropping Floyd and this is not good for the future of boxing and HBO's future in the sport, and at presented no figures presented to me show anything different.

This 6 fight deal maybe one of the biggest in the History of sport , but is it any bigger than Floyds previous 6 fights with HBO?? Im not sure it is.

Until we actually see the net figures from Floyd fight in May will we actually know if Floyd moved for more money , or if he moved for similiar money he was previously getting.

Also HBO saying they put in an agressive offer doesnt mean anything until we actually see the numbers they put in.
rayrobinson is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 05:08 PM   #41
Bazooka
Pimp C Wants 2 Be Me
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 22,203
vCash: 75
Default Re: Did HBO get rid of Floyd??

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayrobinson View Post
This is not a leading question ,

However reports state that Floyd new contract with ShowTime will be worth up to $250 mill for 6 fights.

Yet Floyd made 85 mill in his last two fights with HBO, therefore the move for Floyd doesnt make any real difference to him financially.

Im just wondering if it was HBO who pulled the plug on this arrangement and are moving away from these type of PPV events.

It seems strange that both Floyd and Manny move within a short space of time.

I just hope HBO are not pulling out of boxings biggest names.

Peace.
I remember when Jones Jr fought Devalle they said Roy had a contract with HBO that they referred to as the contract from hell that Roy could basically pick and choose who he wanted to fight and that HBO in the future would not be allowing fighters to have such contracts.

Floyds contract is pretty much on par with that or at least the string of opponents he has elected to face, so I am sure HBO is not at all dis heartened to see Floyd leave their network.

I also think allot of it has to do with Mayweather allowing the pacquiao fight to just walk on by, HBO stood to make millions and that fight just never came about.
Bazooka is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 05:09 PM   #42
Emeritus
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: UK
Posts: 5,056
vCash: 500
Default Re: Did HBO get rid of Floyd??

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayrobinson View Post
You really have taken this the wrong way , I asume you think I attacking Floyd in someway . I am not my question is still the same, HBO look to be dropping Floyd and this is not good for the future of boxing and HBO's future in the sport, and at presented no figures presented to me show anything different.

This 6 fight deal maybe one of the biggest in the History of sport , but is it any bigger than Floyds previous 6 fights with HBO?? Im not sure it is.

Until we actually see the net figures from Floyd fight in May will we actually know if Floyd moved for more money , or if he moved for similiar money he was previously getting.

Also HBO saying they put in an agressive offer doesnt mean anything until we actually see the numbers they put in.
No one on ESB can present you with any figures and you know that. So what are you really asking?

How did HBO look to be dropping Floyd? You have plucked that out of the air?! So HBO say they made an aggressive offer, infact everyone involved says the same but you're still not happy? Why am I not surprised? Because you want to be privy to confidential figures?

Come on man, I'm not trying to be funny but I don't believe what you are saying it doesn't make any sense.
Emeritus is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 05:11 PM   #43
El Lucho
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 849
vCash: 1436
Default Re: Did HBO get rid of Floyd??

Quote:
Originally Posted by thawk888 View Post
You're a Pactard through and through. Martinez is a middleweight. Mayweather fought Oscar DeLaHoya at 154. Was that less dangerous than Margarito? Paul Williams fight could've happened. Pacquiao never wanted the fight, and Canelo has a long line of Welter and Jww's on his ATG resume.

You're a ****boy and you have no logic to your argument. Pacquiao got laid out by a fighter Mayweather toyed with. You mad?
I have logic. my logic is that a midget is fighting guys like margarito who are 5'11, meaning 5 inches taller than him and floyd is not taking somebody on much bigger than him or else he would have taking on sergio, pw etc.. second point pac is taking on anybody, floyd is not. this is my logic and if it was not true than why does not floyd take on all challenges like pac did. and yes prime margarito @154 who challenged floyd in vegas was more dangerous than old version ODLH (not a young ODLH version).

just answer me one question. if floyd is such a warrior and pac at the end of the day accepted to every ****ing demand floyd asked him. why did floyd just take the 50-60 mill and beat up the much smaller pac? believe me, you cannot give me a intelligent answer to this, because it cannot get any more obvious than floyd just being afriad he could lose (because 50-60 mill + ppv mney is more than 30 mill vs guerrero), because of pacs punchign power and high energy level. and your logic is poor, because just because pac lost to marquez who lost to floyd does not mean pac would ultimatly lose to floyd, because styles make fights. forrest beat mosley. forrest lost to mayorga, in your logic mayorga should have beaten mosley, because mayorga beat the man, who beat mosley and did mayorga beat mosley
El Lucho is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 05:13 PM   #44
rayrobinson
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 5,121
vCash: 500
Default Re: Did HBO get rid of Floyd??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazooka View Post
I remember when Jones Jr fought Devalle they said Roy had a contract with HBO that they referred to as the contract from hell that Roy could basically pick and choose who he wanted to fight and that HBO in the future would not be allowing fighters to have such contracts.

Floyds contract is pretty much on par with that or at least the string of opponents he has elected to face, so I am sure HBO is not at all dis heartened to see Floyd leave their network.

I also think allot of it has to do with Mayweather allowing the pacquiao fight to just walk on by, HBO stood to make millions and that fight just never came about.
This , and it only took 40 posts . thank you.
rayrobinson is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 05:16 PM   #45
rayrobinson
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 5,121
vCash: 500
Default Re: Did HBO get rid of Floyd??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeritus View Post
No one on ESB can present you with any figures and you know that. So what are you really asking?

How did HBO look to be dropping Floyd? You have plucked that out of the air?! So HBO say they made an aggressive offer, infact everyone involved says the same but you're still not happy? Why am I not surprised? Because you want to be privy to confidential figures?

Come on man, I'm not trying to be funny but I don't believe what you are saying it doesn't make any sense.
i simply want to know if HBO are tired of boxing or were tired of Floyd , because I dont think it was about money, because you do not let Floyd go if he makes you money and the current numbers that we are seeing Showtime present are not massively different to what he was getting at HBO.

Look at Bazooka's post , it makes interesting reading.
rayrobinson is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:42 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013