Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 02-15-2013, 10:54 AM   #1
shs101

vCash: 500
Default shoulder roll as southpaw

As title says I'm curious to see if the shoulder roll works as a southpaw vs orth matchup....or should I say effectively? Anyone have examples or fights that show this. I'm looking to add it to my game also if anyone has advice
shs101 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 02-15-2013, 12:00 PM   #2
emallini
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: shoulder roll as southpaw

Its very very hard to use it against southpaws unless your excellent at it and have great timing and experience. Your wide open for the straight left so have to postion your body at an angle. Watch Toney vs Jirov and maybe Mayweather vs Ortiz
emallini is offline  Top
Old 02-15-2013, 01:03 PM   #3
Johnstown
Belt holder
ESB Addict

hard to do..that was one of the reasons why i always felt mayweather might have had more trouble with pac when on fire a few years ago....just think about the angle...trying to roll back from a straight right jab is tough..much hard to get the distance you do for rolling from a convential right hand....

a conventional left jab also travels at a different angle that makes the defense more effective for a convential.

i think you are well advised to employ a high guard with a south paw, and to relly more on straight slipping (slipping to the left while stepping left) than shoulder rolls.
Johnstown is offline  Top
Old 02-15-2013, 04:07 PM   #4
r1p00pk
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 253

we meet again omgwtf
r1p00pk is offline  Top
Old 02-15-2013, 04:27 PM   #5
boxbible
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

When Campillo is on, he does the shoulder roll very well. Also, Pernell Whitaker. The master.
boxbible is offline  Top
Old 02-15-2013, 09:15 PM   #6
SouthpawJab
On his way up!! 4-0!!
ESB Addict

vCash: 462

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnstown View Post
hard to do..that was one of the reasons why i always felt mayweather might have had more trouble with pac when on fire a few years ago....just think about the angle...trying to roll back from a straight right jab is tough..much hard to get the distance you do for rolling from a convential right hand....

a conventional left jab also travels at a different angle that makes the defense more effective for a convential.

i think you are well advised to employ a high guard with a south paw, and to relly more on straight slipping (slipping to the left while stepping left) than shoulder rolls.
Actually, the lead shoulder would take away the right hand.

The only real concern with Southpaws is

A. Their jab is right under your jab

B. That left hand comes from an angle you aren't used to.
SouthpawJab is offline  Top
Old 02-15-2013, 09:16 PM   #7
Johnstown
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthpawJab View Post
Actually, the lead shoulder would take away the right hand.

The only real concern with Southpaws is

A. Their jab is right under your jab

B. That left hand comes from an angle you aren't used to.
lead shoulder takes away a convential right hand..the angle of a south paw however..makes it much harder to shoulder roll out of range of a left jab..try it sometime.
Johnstown is offline  Top
Old 02-15-2013, 11:23 PM   #8
SweetScience
Accuracy is the key!
ESB Senior Member

Judah vs Mayweather. First 4 rounds floyd had trouble against judah
SweetScience is offline  Top
Old 02-22-2013, 01:28 AM   #9
twinwonw
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 400

I'm a southpaw and used to use shoulder roll because it became a habit, but I kept getting tagged with orthodox fighter's right. It can take away their jab and lead hooks easily, but if you go against a good fighter then he will know how to get through your shell defence.

I advise you to keep your both hands up most of the time unless you have tried using the shoulder roll and it works well for you.
twinwonw is offline  Top
Old 03-08-2013, 04:51 AM   #10
DS-Southpaw

vCash: 681

I'm a southpaw and use a modified version of the philly shell / shoulder roll. The reason I use it is because I'm a counter-puncher and it's easier (for me) to counter from this stance. This is how I do it:

Stance:
Keep the back of your left hand on your chin and your right a little higher than that to take away your opponents jab. Also make sure you don't square up.

This is how I defend/counter against my opponents main shots:

Jab:
To effectively take away my opponents jab (and this making it harder for him to set up shots) I use the following techniques.
- Slap it down (just touch it, don't crush it) with your right and shoot your jab over his. I usually move to my right when I shoot the counter jab to move away from his cross.
- Catch with your right and shoot your left. Simple but very effective!
- Catch it with your left. I only resort to this when I can't use my lead hand to catch/counter. When you catch it with your left immediately put your left hand on your left temple and keep an eye out for his cross. The reason I do this is because the opponent will usually try and shoot either his cross or right hook after finally "landing" his jab. Either square up (twist to your right) or drop if he's too fast.
- Pivot by kicking your left foot back, this will also make him miss his cross and you can shoot your right hook. Make sure to keep your left in front of your face when you do this in case you mistime his shot.
- Slip to your right and shoot your cross at the same time. This is something I see Pacquiao do often and is very effective, especially if your cross is powerful.

Tips:
- Never roll the jab. If you do roll his jab by accident it's very hard to block/parry his cross/right hook. So when you see a shot coming simply drop and pivot out.
- You can lean back when your opponent jabs, but make sure you come back to your normal(balanced) position when he pulls his arm back. If you keep leaning back he'll be able to walk you down and keep you off balance.

Right cross:
This is where it gets a little tougher as this is the hardest shot to block using a philly shell/shoulder roll stance as a southpaw vs an orthodox fighter. This is how I deal with it.
- Duck under his cross. This is the easiest way to get away from his cross. Simply drop down and come back up immediately. His momentum will make him become off balance simply because he has to commit to his cross in order for it to actually reach your face. This should leave you with enough time to come back with a left uppercut or hook to the body.
- Parry his cross with your left. This does require some sense of timing and isn't as subtle as parrying the jab. You really have to push him to your right to make him lose his balance. Doing this successfully a few times will make him throw it less and less as he'll feel very vulnerable (even though it is very hard to counter after you parry his right this aggressively) if your balance is good enough you can counter with your own cross, but you need really good balance for this.
- Block by keeping your left on your temple and twisting your body to your right, when you feel his cross land on your glove twist it back to your left and shoot a power jab to try and break his combo. Be mindful of his left hook when you do this though, so keep your shoulder up! This also works against his right hook and is very effective against flurries.
- Catch with your left (hold your glove against your right cheek and turn your head to the left). This isn't my preferred method of blocking but it'll work if you didn't see the cross in time (which is why I keep my left on my chin). You can twist to your left and throw a right hook to punish him for the cross.

Tips:
- This is usually your opponents most devastating punch against you, so always watch for his cross.

Left hook:
This punch is easily blocked or rolled. You can go entire fights without your opponent landing this once!
- Roll it off with your right shoulder. It's OK to lean back a LITTLE bit when doing this, this'll make him think he connects and fall off balance sometimes as its easier to roll his shot off this way. After you roll the shot you're already in a position where your body is wound-up ready to shoot your cross or left uppercut. I usually opt for the uppercut as its easier to see his right hand and it's harder for him to block it.
- Block with your right elbow when he goes to your body and shoot your right uppercut immediately when he touches your elbow

Tips:
- Make sure you don't roll too far. You still want to be able to counter back fast enough to break his combo
- I never duck under this shot as it's way easier to roll and counter
DS-Southpaw is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing