Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 02-19-2013, 08:09 PM   #1
VG_Addict
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 2030
Default How to beat a counter-puncher.

What does one need to do in order to beat a counter-puncher?
VG_Addict is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 02-19-2013, 10:05 PM   #2
Johnstown
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500
Default Re: How to beat a counter-puncher.

counter his counter...but if he knows you will counter his counter he will than counter your counter..than you must counter his counter after he has countered your counter..than he will without a doubt counter the counter that you did in response to his counter that he did to your counter that you did to his counter....eventually...you will end up having to counter the counter of his counter to his counter that started from your counter of the counter he threw after you countered over the top his straight that he countered from a pivot off your jab that you countered from a right cross that he countered off your left hook that you countered from his out side range right uppercut that he threw in counter to your leaning in jab that you use a counter to pull back side step cross that he used as a counter to your lazy straight right...

anyhow....you just kill yourself instead.
Johnstown is offline  Top
Old 02-19-2013, 10:36 PM   #3
Bogotazo
Amateur
East Side VIP

vCash: 121

As muddled as that was Johnstown, at its thickest, that's really how it works.

Depends on your style obviously. In my experience, feinting, staying low, and working the jab are all keys to success. In an actual fight, being patient enough to make him lead if necessary can also work, but sparring doesn't really need you to wait him out unnecessarily and avoid engaging since you don't "win" sparring. Throw as tight as you can with as few openings possible. If you can incorporate constant upper body movement and in-and-out footwork then stay active. Countering the counter is something for later on.
Bogotazo is offline  Top
Old 02-20-2013, 04:08 AM   #4
Jdsm
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1947

Try and draw leads and counter them, most effectively done by feinting.
Jdsm is offline  Top
Old 02-20-2013, 04:27 AM   #5
pecho26
ESB Lurker
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 515

I dont know if this will work what i will tell you and please correct me if im wrong.
Since im a short pressure brawler i always try and draw them and feint them out,keep em gueesing what i will do.
Stay behind a jab,get em into small area and then bombs away,i stay tight and pressure them but i dont get overly aggressive.
This works for me.
pecho26 is offline  Top
Old 02-21-2013, 01:14 AM   #6
Kill a B
Journeyman

vCash: 830

Knowing what type of counters he throws after a particular shot and ad******g to that is also a big factor.

For example, there is this one guy in our gym who has a very quick right hand that he throws over a lazy jab. I'm a tall guy and I jab a lot and the first time we sparred I had a lot of trouble with him and was getting caught with the overhand right. The second time we sparred I adjusted to that by always taking tiny steps to my right when I jabbed (we are both orthodox). Suddenly, the right hand either landed on my shoulder or did not land at all because of range and I could, just like Johnstown said, counter his counter shots.
Kill a B is offline  Top
Old 02-21-2013, 01:23 AM   #7
Son of Gaul
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 248

Quote:
Originally Posted by VG_Addict View Post
What does one need to do in order to beat a counter-puncher?
Feinting, feinting and more feinting.

Also, a good, active, educated jab can keep a counterpuncher out of range to counter.
Son of Gaul is offline  Top
Old 02-21-2013, 01:24 AM   #8
Son of Gaul
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 248

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdsm View Post
This. Looks like I was late to the party with my post.
Son of Gaul is offline  Top
Old 02-22-2013, 09:32 AM   #9
emallini
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Simple

Find out what his counters are. Throw your jab, see what he does...

Throw your right hand, see what he does... and so on

Obviously keep tight as **** and keep your chin down as you don't want to actually get clocked by the counter.

Once you know what his response will be to your punches you feint.

If he counters your straight right with a check left hook then feint the straight right , bend down and loop a right hook over his left arm.
emallini is offline  Top
Old 02-24-2013, 04:58 AM   #10
brown bomber
2010 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdsm View Post

Or you can just stay busy. Yes you'll eat a few counters but most counter punchers don't like fighting out of their comfort zone.
brown bomber is offline  Top
Old 02-24-2013, 01:23 PM   #11
greynotsoold
Contender
ESB Senior Member

A really good counter puncher isn't going to be looking to counter off every punch you throw. Probably won't be looking to counter off your jab, either (unless he can get you really stepping with it) because you don't commit much to a jab.
So maybe he'll be looking to counter off your right hand, or your hook to the body, or whatever punch he can make you throw that will open you up while keeping you anchored in one spot. So to beat a good counter puncher you need to deduce what punch he is looking to counter, and what he plans on countering it with.
Then either don't throw it- this will force him to come up with a new plan on the fly and make mistakes more likely- or devise your counter to his counter and 'fall' into his trap.
greynotsoold is offline  Top
Old 02-26-2013, 02:11 AM   #12
Kiwi Kid
The Sweet Scientist

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
This is a good little video that might help. It's pretty much about knowing where the counters are coming from
Kiwi Kid is offline  Top
Old 02-27-2013, 12:43 AM   #13
KillSomething
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 202

1. Feints (for obvious reasons)
2. Bodyshots (Once you counter one of his counters with a body punch, he will not be so free to let his hands go and expose his body, even if he has a chance to catch you good)

Example: You jab a lot. You see him thinking about trying to come over top with a right. You throw a lazy jab for him to counter, but anticipating it you just lean back or roll. (you want him to think he can get you if he reaches a liiiiittle farther.) Then you administer the pain. You toss out a lazy jab for him to counter and without waiting to see if he's countering you slip left with your step and simultaneously throw a left hook up into his ribs. Result: he throws up. No seriously, that will actually happen an it makes you feel really good and warm inside.

What you just did there was give him a punch to counter with a specific punch, then counter that punch. But you didn't wait for him to throw to counter him, you did it all in one pre-programmed motion because it has to be that fast if it's gonna work. DO NOT WAIT FOR COUNTERS TO COUNTER. Draw a specific punch (in this case the straight right) and have your counter already in progress to meet him.

Especially to the body. Every time you punch you expose your body in some way. It's a matter of finding the accessible angle and HURTING him for countering you.
KillSomething is offline  Top
Old 02-28-2013, 11:32 AM   #14
luciuslim
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1150

Its all about messing up their timing, try to get a feel for when they set up for counter shots wait, then once they get into sort of an odd rhythm throw a quick jab.
Another good way to mess up a fighter with good head movement is by throwing at their chest or gloves then mix in shots to the head or body. Use primarily the jab because its hardest to counter.
luciuslim is offline  Top
Old 02-28-2013, 07:06 PM   #15
xRedx
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1306

Just go on the inside and start firing hooks and uppercuts. You have to have alot of speed so he'll be too slow to counter.
xRedx is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing