Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 02-24-2013, 10:54 AM   #1
The Chosen
Bada Bing! Bada Boom!
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000
Default Maloney's got to take responsibility

Last night was a case of match making gone horribly wrong.

All you have to do is look at Price's 2012 opponents, John McDermott, Sam ***ton, Audley Harrison and Matt Skelton. Those are camera fights, guys you match your boxer with to make him look spectacular, they're old and offer little if no threat. Tony Thompson is a genuine heavyweight world title contender, he's classes above those other guys. Maloney screwed up, completely underestimated Thompson and put Price in with a guy miles better than anyone he's ever faced, in a fight he didn't have the experience for.

Price should leave Maloney. He's been managed terribly in terms of progression of his ability
The Chosen is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 02-24-2013, 11:01 AM   #2
Bill C84
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 81
Default Re: Maloney's got to take responsibility

Maybe Maloney was holding him back for a reason, the reason being what happened last night?
Bill C84 is offline  Top
Old 02-24-2013, 11:24 AM   #3
p.Townend
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 100

I dont think there is much point in pointing fingers of blame. Price did take a massive step up last night and maybe the jump in class was a little bit to much but on paper it looked like a reasonable match. I dont think many people expected to be on here today discussing a Price defeat. Up and coming fighter with decent power v ageing,overweight former title challenger. It is a recipie that has been used over and over,I was reminded a little of Tyrell Biggs coming over here to fight Gary Mason and expected that sort of result.

The guys he faced in the build up to last night were decent enough and they were names Brit fans know,its a business and they wanted to get people in to watch. Fighting a Pole or a Russian people have not heard of would not have sold and in such a weak division who do you go with? There seems to be a sea of fighters all at about the same level then the top 15 or so who are a little better then the brothers. The only one I thought was pointless was Skelton and I mean no disrespect to Matt Skelton here,Price had beaten ***ton then had a night against an old Brit with a decent enough record in Audley.Skelton was just a repeat of that fight and they should have tried for a younger fighter.

People wanted him to step up a level and Maloney delivered the fight.
p.Townend is offline  Top
Old 02-24-2013, 11:27 AM   #4
Smoggy7188
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

I get the feeling Maloney saw fury was fighting a big name next and thought he needed to keep price up with fury so got thompson in instead of following the progression of opponents that price has fought so far.
Smoggy7188 is online now  Top
Old 02-24-2013, 11:30 AM   #5
Peter__1987

vCash:

Come on man, was Tony Thompson THAT big of a step? guy is 41 years old, not like Maloney threw him in the lions den.

I don't mean to be harsh on Price as I really like the guy but come on, it's Maloney's fault now that Price can't take a punch?
Old 02-24-2013, 11:32 AM   #6
PaulieMc
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 416

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoggy7188 View Post
I get the feeling Maloney saw fury was fighting a big name next and thought he needed to keep price up with fury so got thompson in instead of following the progression of opponents that price has fought so far.
I agree. Fury is starting to get the big names and attention from the champions and the public, Maloney probably felt he needed to get Pricey a well-known opponent too in order to keep up. His last few opponents (Harrison and Skelton) were absolute dire for a bloke who was supposedly going to win the world titles in the next year.
PaulieMc is offline  Top
Old 02-24-2013, 11:38 AM   #7
madpuppy
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

One loss is not a tragedy. Who knows, yesterday may be the best thing that has happened to Price and he actually starts boxing off his jab and pick his shots better, rather than going in all gung ho, trying to blast guys out in the first round.
madpuppy is offline  Top
Old 02-24-2013, 11:41 AM   #8
Smoggy7188
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter__1987 View Post
Come on man, was Tony Thompson THAT big of a step? guy is 41 years old, not like Maloney threw him in the lions den.
From a run of his previous opponents, Thompson was a big step up. Price went from level 4 to level 2 heavyweights in one swoop. Thompson aint no bum, people saw his weight and thought price will bang his way through him and thompson wont throw anything back. Did i think thompson would win? no. did i think price would blast him out? no. Thompson is a tricky boxer and i thought it would go past 6rounds and price would break him down eventually through boxing on the outside and using his long levers and peppering thompson. what i didnt take into consideration or forget about (and other posters on here) was that the fighters price has fought so far got hurt and fell apart. thompson was never gonna do that. young fighters today get fed fights today where they rely on there power and forget about their defence.
Smoggy7188 is online now  Top
Old 02-24-2013, 11:42 AM   #9
JohnH
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chosen View Post

All you have to do is look at Price's 2012 opponents, John McDermott, Sam ***ton, Audley Harrison and Matt Skelton. Those are camera fights, guys you match your boxer with to make him look spectacular, they're old and offer little if no threat. Tony Thompson is a genuine heavyweight world title contender, he's classes above those other guys. Maloney screwed up, completely underestimated Thompson and put Price in with a guy miles better than anyone he's ever faced, in a fight he didn't have the experience for.

Price should leave Maloney. He's been managed terribly in terms of progression of his ability
I agree that Price needs to leave Maloney, I've been saying it for a long while now. Price's progression was/is far too slow and that is down to Maloney.

It's 5 years since Price won Bronze at the Olympics and IMO 16 fights in that time is nowhere near enough, especially given the quality of the opponents. Maloney classes himself as a boxing guru and should have seen (like everybody else did) that Price could not always rely on power he needed to get a stronger defence which would have meant a change of trainer. He didn't.

The Thompson fight was the step up Price needed to take if he wasn't going to be left behind by Fury, however the build up fights to this point were not good enough and Maloney left his fighter exposed.

Price with Eddie Hearn would be a match made in heaven I believe...
JohnH is offline  Top
Old 02-24-2013, 11:45 AM   #10
dftaylor
Writer, fanatic
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chosen View Post

I don't really see how this is Maloney's fault. Yes, the series of old men didn't help, but no one thought Thompson was going to spring the upset. It was actually pretty smart match-making since TT looked utterly shot against Wlad.

Maloney wasn't to know that Price just can't hold a shot.
dftaylor is offline  Top
Old 02-24-2013, 11:46 AM   #11
a force 1989
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Don't think age is all that when it comes to heavyweights, Thompson's only the same / similar age to Vitali. It was a big step up but I think it was Price who asked for it more than Maloney making a balls up
a force 1989 is offline  Top
Old 02-24-2013, 11:49 AM   #12
PaulieMc
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 416

It's not 100% Maloney's fault. He's a businessman, not a trainer or cornerman. If anything I'd blame David's trainers. They must have surely known that his chin is weak but they haven't done anything about it. They clearly haven't taught him the basics of defence because his head movement is horrible, he leaves himself wide open. Great trainers like Manny Steward see their fighters weakness and work around them like he did with Wladimir. That's what Price needs now. A different approach in the gym and a different style of fighting, he can't risk a disaster like last night happening again. If it does then it's game over unfortunately. Leaving Franny Smith is something he should seriously consider.
PaulieMc is offline  Top
Old 02-24-2013, 11:49 AM   #13
Primadonna Kool
Champion
East Side Guru

You can't blame Maloney, this is a sport, its not the music industry, Boxing is not the X-Factor, you still have to somewhere down the line step up and face the best of the best to progress.

David Price stepped up, and he fell! But he will get back up!

Because the only right thing any man would do.
Primadonna Kool is offline  Top
Old 02-24-2013, 11:53 AM   #14
ero-sennin
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter__1987 View Post

I don't mean to be harsh on Price as I really like the guy but come on, it's Maloney's fault now that Price can't take a punch?

This. Hindsight is a wonderful thing. I don't know a single person that expected Thompson to win. Price was supposed to win easy. In fact, people were clowning Price for fighting such an old guy.
ero-sennin is offline  Top
Old 02-24-2013, 11:55 AM   #15
TIGEREDGE
Belt holder
ESB Addict

it wasnt looking that way until the knockdown. price was in total control. thompson never landed a shot till then

its not like he got totally schooled then ko'd
TIGEREDGE is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum