Old 02-24-2013, 12:01 PM   #16
lordgore
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1176
Default Re: Maloney's got to take responsibility

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGEREDGE View Post
it wasnt looking that way until the knockdown. price was in total control. thompson never landed a shot till then

its not like he got totally schooled then ko'd
Price couldn't hurt Thompson,the upset was en route.Price looked so one dimensional it was painful to watch,could see the look on Tony's face from the start of round 2 .. that punch was coming.
lordgore is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 02-24-2013, 12:05 PM   #17
ElCep
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chosen View Post
Last night was a case of match making gone horribly wrong.

All you have to do is look at Price's 2012 opponents, John McDermott, Sam ***ton, Audley Harrison and Matt Skelton. Those are camera fights, guys you match your boxer with to make him look spectacular, they're old and offer little if no threat. Tony Thompson is a genuine heavyweight world title contender, he's classes above those other guys. Maloney screwed up, completely underestimated Thompson and put Price in with a guy miles better than anyone he's ever faced, in a fight he didn't have the experience for.

Price should leave Maloney. He's been managed terribly in terms of progression of his ability
You are talking Tony Thompson up massively. The guy is a 41-year old gatekeeper who turned up in the worst shape of his career and ended up scoring a KO with a tap on Price's ear. It was a small step up in class, but it was the right guy at the right time, on paper. What the fight has strongly hinted is that Price isn't a world level fighter. There's no shame in that.
ElCep is offline  Top
Old 02-24-2013, 12:13 PM   #18
Peter__1987

vCash:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ero-sennin View Post
This. Hindsight is a wonderful thing. I don't know a single person that expected Thompson to win. Price was supposed to win easy. In fact, people were clowning Price for fighting such an old guy.
Yep.

Doesn't half make me laugh when people on here go on about a fighter, he's gonna be this, and he's gonna be that, and he's gonna be world champ and then he gets flattened and it's "Oh he got stepped up too quick".

Well what do you want really? did you not realise if he was gonna win a world title he was gonna have to fight someone half decent sooner or later?

The Thompson fight wasn't too big of a step up, it was a test, and Price failed the test miserably and people are now realising they got carried away with themselves when he was flattening old men.

Sorry, but those are the cold hard facts.
Old 02-24-2013, 12:17 PM   #19
wallworkjake123
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGEREDGE View Post
it wasnt looking that way until the knockdown. price was in total control. thompson never landed a shot till then

its not like he got totally schooled then ko'd
Watch the fight again, count how many CLEAN punches Price landed, don't listen to the crowd they cheer'd every time Price threw a punch.

Even in the second round when TT had his back to the ropes and Price threw a barrage of punchers, only one or two body shots connected.

TT is a very smart counter-puncher, that punch was no fluke.
wallworkjake123 is offline  Top
Old 02-24-2013, 12:24 PM   #20
Smoggy7188
Belt holder
ESB Addict

funny how people suddenly turn up with opinions after fights but before fights when their are discussions about the fight they are nowhere to be seen...
Smoggy7188 is offline  Top
Old 02-24-2013, 12:32 PM   #21
Peter__1987

vCash:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoggy7188 View Post
funny how people suddenly turn up with opinions after fights but before fights when their are discussions about the fight they are nowhere to be seen...
I've voiced my opinions on Price and his opponents several times in the past, I couldn't really be arsed getting into any pre fight discussion on here as well I wasn't really interested in talking about Price fighting another bloke over 40.
Old 02-24-2013, 12:34 PM   #22
wallworkjake123
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
I admit to predicting Price to beat TT by KO, but ever since the Skelton fight I've been convinced Fury would beat Price.
wallworkjake123 is offline  Top
Old 02-24-2013, 12:34 PM   #23
Smoggy7188
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter__1987 View Post
I've voiced my opinions on Price and his opponents several times in the past, I couldn't really be arsed getting into any pre fight discussion on here as well I wasn't really interested in talking about Price fighting another bloke over 40.
if i was bashing you mate i would have quoted you before putting what i put...
Smoggy7188 is offline  Top
Old 02-24-2013, 12:34 PM   #24
Peter__1987

vCash:

Quote:
if i was bashing you mate i would have quoted you before putting what i put...
OK Mate.
Old 02-24-2013, 01:35 PM   #25
fortysixando
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulieMc View Post
It's not 100% Maloney's fault. He's a businessman, not a trainer or cornerman. If anything I'd blame David's trainers. They must have surely known that his chin is weak but they haven't done anything about it. They clearly haven't taught him the basics of defence because his head movement is horrible, he leaves himself wide open. Great trainers like Manny Steward see their fighters weakness and work around them like he did with Wladimir. That's what Price needs now. A different approach in the gym and a different style of fighting, he can't risk a disaster like last night happening again. If it does then it's game over unfortunately. Leaving Franny Smith is something he should seriously consider.
couldnt agree more tbf.i no it might seem knee jerk reaction but changing trainers would be a good option.adam booth would be the man
fortysixando is offline  Top
Old 02-24-2013, 01:45 PM   #26
smegmaa
Undefeated Champ
ESB Addict

I think Shane McGuigan and co could mould Price into something!
smegmaa is offline  Top
Old 02-24-2013, 01:45 PM   #27
matt007
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 75

It always happens here, when a boxer lose all hell break lose. He got caught with a shot, its his fault end of.
matt007 is offline  Top
Old 02-24-2013, 01:55 PM   #28
realsoulja
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 234

Thompson trained for a tall jabber in Wlad just recently which may have got him prepared for Price, while Price trained for Skelton which is a league below Thompson. This is all hindsight anyway, I thought Price was ready and so did the rest, he would beat Thompson on another night.
realsoulja is offline  Top
Old 02-24-2013, 03:42 PM   #29
billythekiduk

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chosen View Post
Last night was a case of match making gone horribly wrong.

All you have to do is look at Price's 2012 opponents, John McDermott, Sam ***ton, Audley Harrison and Matt Skelton. Those are camera fights, guys you match your boxer with to make him look spectacular, they're old and offer little if no threat. Tony Thompson is a genuine heavyweight world title contender, he's classes above those other guys. Maloney screwed up, completely underestimated Thompson and put Price in with a guy miles better than anyone he's ever faced, in a fight he didn't have the experience for.

Price should leave Maloney. He's been managed terribly in terms of progression of his ability
Bollocks. Price can't take a shot and before the fight was a massive favourite.
billythekiduk is offline  Top
Old 02-24-2013, 03:46 PM   #30
El Greeno
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 360

The reason Price lost was nothing to do with matchmaking.
El Greeno is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum