Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 02-24-2013, 05:19 PM   #1
Flexe
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 350
Default Audley 'A-Force' Harrison

How highly was Harrison rated before his first loss? Was he touted to be the next heavyweight champion of the world? Were the general boxing public behind him? Did boxing fans believe he was the 'Real Deal' in his early days and would go on to do great things?

School me on him. I'm intrigued to know more about this man.
Flexe is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 02-24-2013, 05:35 PM   #2
craney91
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500
Default Re: Audley 'A-Force' Harrison

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flexe View Post
How highly was Harrison rated before his first loss? Was he touted to be the next heavyweight champion of the world? Were the general boxing public behind him? Did boxing fans believe he was the 'Real Deal' in his early days and would go on to do great things?

School me on him. I'm intrigued to know more about this man.
When he won gold, all I remember back then, because I would have been 9 at the time. Was looking up to him, and really believing in him. I remember staying up to watch all his fights. BBC were really building him up. I know the country was really behind him for a while, and then it started to turn sour. The adults started to point and laugh saying he was crap, my grandad used to give him loads of shit, here I was this 9 year old boy, thinking he was gonna be world champion one day and prove everybody wrong. I believed in Audley, he won a gold medal, he was gonna do it, I can still remember to this day when he did it, with the cornrows he had, he looked like a giant to me. He was one of my hero's, along with Michael Owen who was playing for Liverpool at the time.

And then it all went downhill from there really. A-Force crumbled, but I still wanted to believe. I still believed in the Haye fight. Audley was part of my childhood, I think any English kid interested in boxing back then was attached to Audley. Its a real shame it turned out the way it did. Seeing Audley get beat the way he was, felt like a bit of my childhood was taken away. They was destroying the dream by beating Audley.

It wasnt supposed to go like this.
craney91 is offline  Top
Old 02-24-2013, 05:40 PM   #3
richard mossley
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1022

People always questioned his fighting heart. McGuigan would b his biggest critic after every fight.
richard mossley is offline  Top
Old 02-24-2013, 06:09 PM   #4
TBooze
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 469

To be fair from day one, Bunce called it. Audley turned it on once in his career, in the 2000 Olympics. He always had the ability but he was a dog, he had bottled amateur World Championships, and he bottled his pro career.

He claimed post Olympics he would be British Champion within six fights, he eventually fought for the crown 12 years later, and was duly flattened inside three minutes...
TBooze is offline  Top
Old 02-24-2013, 06:13 PM   #5
craney91
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBooze View Post
To be fair from day one, Bunce called it. Audley turned it on once in his career, in the 2000 Olympics. He always had the ability but he was a dog, he had bottled amateur World Championships, and he bottled his pro career.

He claimed post Olympics he would be British Champion within six fights, he eventually fought for the crown 12 years later, and was duly flattened inside three minutes...
craney91 is offline  Top
Old 02-24-2013, 06:15 PM   #6
rowedav
He Glassed Me
ESB Full Member

vCash: 959

Audleys best performance by far was in the Danny Williams rematch. Absolutely destroyed him in 3 rounds. I remember thinking "**** me, this is what he's capable of" and thought he'd go far after that...but for one reason or another he hasn't.
rowedav is offline  Top
Old 02-25-2013, 01:35 AM   #7
AudleyKlitschko
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 75

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
BORKED
AudleyKlitschko is offline  Top
Old 02-25-2013, 01:53 AM   #8
Lilo
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBooze View Post

What did Bunce say? He won the Commonwealth Gold as well a couple of ABA wins. Seems a bit unfair to say that IMO
Lilo is offline  Top
Old 02-25-2013, 01:57 AM   #9
AudleyKlitschko
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

He was robbed 4-3 against SSS.

And 6-6 in the Euro against the home fighter.

He won every international tournament he entered.

One where Povetkin got Silver @ heavy and Haye pulled out of the final through injury at light heavy.
Old 02-25-2013, 02:02 AM   #10
AudleyKlitschko
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

He beat Sinan Samil Sam

He beat Sergei Lyakhovich
Old 02-25-2013, 02:10 AM   #11
destruction
Contender
ESB Senior Member

I think pretty much everyone thought he was the real deal and would one day become World champion. He was Olympic Gold medalist and people made comparisons to Lennox Lewis and what he achieved as a former olympic champion.

With the boastful and confident way that he talked and the BBC TV deal everyone at one point, thought this is a future world champion.

The way he was dropped by the BBC before even becoming British Champion pointed to the first signs that all was not right, and the rest is history.

He lacked fighting heart, did not throw enough punches for fear of getting hit, and hated being hit and lacked any sort of chin or durability.
destruction is offline  Top
Old 02-25-2013, 04:03 AM   #12
KermitTheFrog
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

It seemed to all turn sour about halfway through the BBC deal when the quality of opponents wasn't really improving much and the sports press soon reported as much. Interestingly, I watched his first pro fight on YouTube last night and heard the boos after the first round stoppage. Hard to tell if they were aimed at the opponent or was general dissatisfaction at the choice of an obviously sub-par opponent. It didn't take long for the discontent to start though.
KermitTheFrog is offline  Top
Old 02-25-2013, 04:09 AM   #13
MattMattMatt
Belt holder
ESB Addict

The suspicions started on his pro-debut to be fair. Take another look now and you'll see what I mean, he was so reticent to open up against a visibly hurt journeyman. Easy to say in hindsight I guess, but I do recall noticing a lack of killer instinct that early on.
MattMattMatt is offline  Top
Old 02-25-2013, 04:13 AM   #14
The Genius
Contender
ESB Senior Member

I truly believe that Harrison is capable of beating some decent names. He needs to stay active.
The Genius is offline  Top
Old 02-25-2013, 12:32 PM   #15
TBooze
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 469

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilo View Post
What did Bunce say? He won the Commonwealth Gold as well a couple of ABA wins. Seems a bit unfair to say that IMO
Buncey pointed out after the Olympics, that Audley had finally shown the potential many thought he had. But this has happened before with Audley showing glimpses of potential (98 Commonwealth games), only for him to bottle it at the 99 World's.

So Bunce asked the question; is the real Audley Harrison the Olympic Champion who is quite capable of domestic domination within the first couple of years into his pro career? Or is the real Audley Harrison, the fighter who fought in the 99 World's like he was scared of his own shadow?

Bunce suggested that he feared it was the latter.
TBooze is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum