Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-25-2013, 07:23 AM   #16
S_o_F
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Liverpool
Posts: 424
vCash: 520
Default Re: Kristian Laight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nafflad26 View Post
I went to the Coldewell show at the Magna Centre, Rotherham on Friday night and Johnny Greaves fought and went the distance but he has no desire to win the fight and he basically just covered up and defended for all 4 rounds. I have no problem with these journey men fighting and without them then boxing wouldn't be able to exist but they need to show a little bit of adventure and at least attempt to win the fight instead of trying to survive for the distance of the fight. It doesn't make it interesting for the fans.
Its doesn't, but this is a form of there regular income, so if they do get stopped its an automatic medical suspension which would prevent them fighting again quickly. Not sure how long the suspension is for though
S_o_F is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-26-2013, 07:44 PM   #17
Saintpat
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,981
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Kristian Laight

Interesting posts and thanks for the insight -- but to me if a guy loses 140 fights with 7 wins the line was crossed long ago that he needs (at the behest of officials who license fighters) to move on and find something at which he is more competent.

And for those who do not fight to win, do not even ATTEMPT to win a round, much less the fight, there is no place in the sport for that. Can you imagine a futbal team so incompetent that it went 7-and-140 over a period of time, that never attempted to kick the ball in the goal? Or a runner who doesn't try to win a race on the professional track circuit? It's mad.
Saintpat is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 07:54 PM   #18
icemax
Indian Red
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Yorkshire
Posts: 13,619
vCash: 664
Default Re: Kristian Laight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintpat View Post
...and find something at which he is more competent.
Have you actually seen him fight or are you just looking at the numbers? The most important number on his record is the number of stoppage losses
icemax is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 09:08 PM   #19
Saintpat
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,981
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Kristian Laight

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_o_F View Post
Its doesn't, but this is a form of there regular income, so if they do get stopped its an automatic medical suspension which would prevent them fighting again quickly. Not sure how long the suspension is for though

Well that's the problem isn't it, a completely defeatist attitude.

If he opens up to throw some punches, he might actually WIN, and then he can fight again quickly.

At the suggestion of the poster above, I did find some video of Laight and this is what I saw: every time his opponent threw a punch, he immediatley covered up up completely in a defensive stance and I didn't note any point at which he even ventured a tentative counterpunch out of this posture; and every time HE threw a punch, he immediately covered up completely in a defensive stance in anticipation that his opponent might try to, you know, hit him back (although he rarely landed when he did summon up enough courage to throw a punch).

A normal boxer would learn long before 140 losses that covering up in this manner is not leading to success, and the boxer would learn to try a different tactic -- perhaps taking the lead, perhaps countering when the opponent threw punches at him, perhaps ANYTHING besides fighting like a turtle in a shell.

But that assumes that the professional boxer is trying to win -- a standard which EVERY professional athlete in every sport should be held to.

Were I in charge of the licensing commission or council, I would tell Mr. Laight before his next fight: "If you lose, you will be suspended for 6 months. If you win, you can fight again as soon as you like."

This would force him to try to win, and then we would see for sure what kind of skill and ability he actually has. If he tries and loses and he has had some 150 fights and nearly 800 rounds of experience, then he obviously shouldn't be allowed to fight professionally -- especially considering his opponents on average seem to have 3 fights or less experience over the course of his last 30 fights or more.
Saintpat is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 09:18 AM   #20
dempseys right
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 413
vCash: 500
Default Re: Kristian Laight

You,ve got it in reverse, why would an olympian need to fight him? ive seen laight box and win but lose plenty of times, if you aint getting the decision any how, why keep going for it? but he,s probably earned more money in the last year than darren hamilton and steve williams together.
dempseys right is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 12:15 PM   #21
BlackBrenny
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 6,467
vCash: 75
Default Re: Kristian Laight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintpat View Post
Can someone explain to me how a fighter with a record of 7-140-6 gets licensed?

I thought this had to be a misprint, but, alas, this guy has lost ONE HUNDRED AND FORTY fights and he's allowed to step into a ring? Against an Olympic prospect no less?

Are there no standards, no safety concerns, in England? Do they license mice to fight cats also?

This is the greatest disgrace I have encountered in many a year. If Mr. Laight were as bad at haircutting as he is at boxing, he surely wouldn't be licensed. If he drove as bad as he fights, he surely wouldn't be licensed to drive a taxicab. If he cooked as bad as he fought, no restaurant would let him anywhere near a kitchen.

At last is there no decency in British boxing?

If he's so shit then how come so few people can stop him? 140 losses doesn't mean 140 beatings, you say "if he drove as bad as he fought, if he cut hair as bad as he fought"

have you actually seen the guy fight? he doesn't fight bad at all
BlackBrenny is online now  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 12:16 PM   #22
BlackBrenny
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 6,467
vCash: 75
Default Re: Kristian Laight

Quote:
Originally Posted by dempseys right View Post
ive seen laight box and win but lose plenty of times.
yep, try telling that to the boxrec warriors though
BlackBrenny is online now  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 12:18 PM   #23
IntentionalButt
Nash Equilibrium Debunker
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Boston
Posts: 116,184
vCash: 10000
Default Re: Kristian Laight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintpat View Post
Can someone explain to me how a fighter with a record of 7-140-6 gets licensed?
He serves a purpose, and has a job to do.

If more than a small percentage (2%) of his losses were by KO and he was taking heaps of abuse with his brain rattling around the pan - yes, it would be a crime for him to continue getting licensed.

As it happens, he and many like him provide an invaluable service to boxing's infrastructure (especially in the UK) and make a fair living at it. I've got no moral compunctions with it, and these professional losers deserve less pity than
IntentionalButt is online now  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 12:24 PM   #24
BlackBrenny
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 6,467
vCash: 75
Default Re: Kristian Laight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintpat View Post
Well that's the problem isn't it, a completely defeatist attitude.

If he opens up to throw some punches, he might actually WIN, and then he can fight again quickly.

At the suggestion of the poster above, I did find some video of Laight and this is what I saw: every time his opponent threw a punch, he immediatley covered up up completely in a defensive stance and I didn't note any point at which he even ventured a tentative counterpunch out of this posture; and every time HE threw a punch, he immediately covered up completely in a defensive stance in anticipation that his opponent might try to, you know, hit him back (although he rarely landed when he did summon up enough courage to throw a punch).

A normal boxer would learn long before 140 losses that covering up in this manner is not leading to success, and the boxer would learn to try a different tactic -- perhaps taking the lead, perhaps countering when the opponent threw punches at him, perhaps ANYTHING besides fighting like a turtle in a shell.

But that assumes that the professional boxer is trying to win -- a standard which EVERY professional athlete in every sport should be held to.

Were I in charge of the licensing commission or council, I would tell Mr. Laight before his next fight: "If you lose, you will be suspended for 6 months. If you win, you can fight again as soon as you like."

This would force him to try to win, and then we would see for sure what kind of skill and ability he actually has. If he tries and loses and he has had some 150 fights and nearly 800 rounds of experience, then he obviously shouldn't be allowed to fight professionally -- especially considering his opponents on average seem to have 3 fights or less experience over the course of his last 30 fights or more.

that's exactly the point, Laight is a fighter you put a young prospect in with to get some rounds, he's a survival expert, the challenge isn't to beat him, the challenge is to stop him...do you realise that a lot of 4-0 padded record guys would be stopped early by these young prospects?

I'll give you another example, Naseem Hamed stopped 31 of 36 opponents he beat, one of the few guys to take him the full six in an early fight was a fellow called peter buckley, who was 18-18-5 at the time, Buckley retired with a 32-256-12 record, having only been stopped 10 times (by the likes of Acelino Freitas and a premature stoppage to Hamed in the rematch) in Hameds next fight after Buckley, he fought a 4-0 fighter called Alan Ley...and promptly knocked him out cold in the second round


and one last thing OP, do you realise how many times these guys get robbed when they do like you say and actually try and win? they almost ALWAYS fight in the opponents back yard, 140 "losses" is never actually 140 losses
BlackBrenny is online now  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 12:43 PM   #25
ishy
P4P King
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Yorkshire
Posts: 22,626
vCash: 500
Default Re: Kristian Laight

Take it you're American Saintpat?

People like Laight aren't in the game to win. Rather than looking at how many he's lost look at the amount of stoppage defeats he's got. That's what he's there for, to give novices rounds without really testing them. The prospect gets the win and some rounds under their belt, Laight gets a payday and by not getting stopped he can fight again in a week's time.

Guys like Laight know their level and stick to it. The truth is he could perhaps beat a few of these guys but if he starts putting a few wins together the calls stop and the work dries up.

We get guys coming over here from Eastern Europe with decent looking records. They get in the ring against one of our prospects and gets stopped in a couple of rounds by someone who's been the distance with Laight or Sid Razak or Johnny Greaves.

In the US they put world class amateurs, fighters who have had numerous bouts at elite amateur level, against novice journeymen with less than 10 pro fights and no amateur background. That's probably even worse matchmaking.
ishy is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 01:57 PM   #26
zxcvbnm
#TeamHWFuture
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: London
Posts: 2,076
vCash: 544
Default Re: Kristian Laight

British journeymen are the best in the world (aside from maybe in SE Asia, where solid Muay Thai fighters are often used to pad records). The lads our fighters pad their records with are far better than the guys fighters from the US and Europe pad theirs with. In the US you get good prospects put in with guys who have had 2/3 fights. You end up with farces like this.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Basically over here we give hundreds of fights to a handful of guys who know how to look after themselves, elsewhere they give a handful of fights to hundreds of guys who don't know how to look after themselves. Both of these methods pad records, but fighting a guy who knows how to look after himself benefits the prospect a whole lot more than fighting a guy who doesn't.
zxcvbnm is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 02:21 PM   #27
IntentionalButt
Nash Equilibrium Debunker
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Boston
Posts: 116,184
vCash: 10000
Default Re: Kristian Laight

Quote:
Originally Posted by zxcvbnm View Post
British journeymen are the best in the world (aside from maybe in SE Asia, where solid Muay Thai fighters are often used to pad records). The lads our fighters pad their records with are far better than the guys fighters from the US and Europe pad theirs with. In the US you get good prospects put in with guys who have had 2/3 fights. You end up with farces like this.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Basically over here we give hundreds of fights to a handful of guys who know how to look after themselves, elsewhere they give a handful of fights to hundreds of guys who don't know how to look after themselves. Both of these methods pad records, but fighting a guy who knows how to look after himself benefits the prospect a whole lot more than fighting a guy who doesn't.
Very well put.
IntentionalButt is online now  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 03:08 PM   #28
IntentionalButt
Nash Equilibrium Debunker
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Boston
Posts: 116,184
vCash: 10000
Default Re: Kristian Laight

I especially love it when guys like this square off against each other - because then you know "Alright, **** off, you I can beat..."

They probably view one another with the same competitive motivation and colleagues' respect as do rivals at the elite level.

ie, Peter McDonagh vs. Karl Taylor or Jason Nesbitt, Daniel Thorpe vs. Peter Buckley, etc.

Laight hasn't really had many such opportunities, and he's earned 'em. His few wins are against novices.
IntentionalButt is online now  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 03:26 PM   #29
ishy
P4P King
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Yorkshire
Posts: 22,626
vCash: 500
Default Re: Kristian Laight

Someone floated the idea of a journeyman Prizefighter. Now that would be fun.
ishy is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 03:30 PM   #30
IntentionalButt
Nash Equilibrium Debunker
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Boston
Posts: 116,184
vCash: 10000
Default Re: Kristian Laight

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishy View Post
Someone floated the idea of a journeyman Prizefighter. Now that would be fun.


I doubt any of them would be half as negative as usual.

With their hopes kindled by a bigger purse than any have seen, we might get some real fire.
IntentionalButt is online now  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:26 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013