Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum

Old 02-28-2013, 11:52 AM   #1
BewareofDawg
P4P Champ
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default BJ Penn

IF he ever fights again, and I think that he will. I think everybody on the planet agrees that it should be at LW. He used to be able to fight at the higher weights because the skills and talents he had far exceeded the bigger fighters. That is not the case anymore. The guys in the higher weights have gotten bigger and more well rounded. BJ is not even bigger than most LWs anymore. LW is the division he HAS TO be in. That all being said, here's what I would like to see.

BJ is at a point now, where he's kinda stuck bw a rock and a hard place. He is still one of the biggest stars in the sport, and past his mental prime....so if and when he fights, he wants big fights and big money. However, he is at a place career wise, where he isn't in a position to fight the Champ or even top 5 guys in the LW division.

Plan:

Fight a rematch with Gomi at LW. Gomi is on a 2 fight win streak, and this would sell big given both guys history in the division and previous fight.

He should beat Gomi at this stage, and then he will generate ALOT of confidence from his fans agian.

Then fight a top 10 guy coming off a win.

If he wins that, and more so, if he stops him which is very likely, then the possibilities are out there for a possible title shot, maybe a fight with Nate Diaz (that would sell huge!).

But I think the Gomi fight is the perfect platform to bring him back on.
BewareofDawg is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 02-28-2013, 12:50 PM   #2
Stoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Default Re: BJ Penn

Gomi would be a welcome retirement fight, no interest in seeing him fight anymore.

In terms of MMA fighting spirit, Penn and Hendo are the ATG's. Sadly, guys like this never know when to retire
Stoo is offline  Top
Old 02-28-2013, 07:21 PM   #3
sugarngold
RIDDUM
East Side Guru

vCash: 157

Hendo is still at the top of his game. He was just fighting the wrong fight against Machida. Lyoto's striking skillset is too evolved for Dan's brawling tactics. He can still crush perhaps 8 of the other top ten fighters at lightheavyweight.

Penn needs to go back to lightweight or retire. The modern welterweights are too big for him because they're all boiled down middleweights. I did think Penn lost to Edgar - but Frankie isn't fighting at lightweight any more. Why not go back and test the waters?

Both Nogueira Brothers, Wanderlei Silva, and Cung Le are all one bad beating away from needing to retire. They're all still pulling out surprises here and there but the wear and tear is showing and the better days are getting further behind.

If Big Nog had lost to Brendan Schaub then he would have had to retire - but since he beat him at least - why not keep fighting? I still don't know what the **** happened in those Frank Mir fights. No matter how many times they fight - I would pick Nog to win.

Frank beat him twice. Frank Mir is another one that needs to start thinking about the next phase of his career as well.

Gomi is on a streak. The UFC needs to keep him if they plan to keep promoting in Japan. This weekend will tell whether Gomi is done or ready for another resurgence. I think Sanchez will be too young and strong for Gomi. If Gomi pulls out a win - it adds to his legacy and moves him into talks for contender status.
sugarngold is offline  Top
Old 02-28-2013, 09:43 PM   #4
greathamza
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 117

Yeah BJ should definitely move to LW or retire at least at LW he could amout to something even tho i hardly see him getting the belt again he could still be a solid top 5-10
greathamza is offline  Top
Old 03-01-2013, 12:32 PM   #5
jimmie
Champion
East Side Guru

I like the Gomi matchup but im pretty sure Sanchez will choke him this weekend.
jimmie is offline  Top
Old 03-01-2013, 12:54 PM   #6
BobDigi5060
East Side MMA
East Side Guru

vCash: 553

He's 34 years old and can't make the LW limit anymore. Sure he could, but it's not going to do him any good. Weakening himself is not going to help his performance. He needs needs a new team around him more than he needs another fight at LW.
BobDigi5060 is offline  Top
Old 03-01-2013, 03:03 PM   #7
Rob_Floyd
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 847

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobDigi5060 View Post
He's 34 years old and can't make the LW limit anymore. Sure he could, but it's not going to do him any good. Weakening himself is not going to help his performance. He needs needs a new team around him more than he needs another fight at LW.
I would say he needs to do both if he wishes to return. Get off the Island, lose the yes men, and work with a team that will actually push him. Take on a top 10-15 guy, and see how it goes.
Rob_Floyd is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum