Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 02-13-2008, 04:12 AM   #1
eliqueiros
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 289
Default Who would win Trinidad or Duran?

Who would win between a prime Trinidad and a prime Duran at welterweight? Two stalkers with hands of stone?
eliqueiros is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 02-13-2008, 04:32 AM   #2
Pat_Lowe
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Who would win Trinidad or Duran?

Duran has so many more dimensions to his game. I have little doubt he could take Trinidad's punch, it took someone with extreme speed AND power in Hearns to knock him out. Can Trinidad take Duran's power? I don't think so
Pat_Lowe is offline  Top
Old 02-13-2008, 04:35 AM   #3
eliqueiros
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 289

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat_Lowe
Duran has so many more dimensions to his game. I have little doubt he could take Trinidad's punch, it took someone with extreme speed AND power in Hearns to knock him out. Can Trinidad take Duran's power? I don't think so
I guess it would become a question of chins.
eliqueiros is offline  Top
Old 02-13-2008, 04:41 AM   #4
Pat_Lowe
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliqueiros
I guess it would become a question of chins.
Well yes because in the end thats all that determines whether a knockout occurs or not. But Duran is better defensively and offensively. He was not plodding like Trinidad. I see Trinidad as more of a mid range fighter, similar to Tyson in that they needed space to deliver their power. Duran would force the fight and take it to Trinidad on the inside where he is superior.
Pat_Lowe is offline  Top
Old 02-13-2008, 04:53 AM   #5
JohnThomas1
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

I like Duran here, at his best. The thing to remember with these 147 and above Duran fights is that he was VERY hot and cold, sometimes sizzling and sometimes just utter shyte comparatively. In picking him solidly over Cotto, and to win vs Tito i am envisioning a tip top Duran, but the thing is this was an off, off, off, on thing.

Duran at 147 and above is troubled much much more by slick boxers and movers than come forward fighters. Tito could box a little bit and could make things awkward with the right tactics but if Duran is properly prepared i like him in this one.
JohnThomas1 is offline  Top
Old 02-13-2008, 05:18 AM   #6
Russell
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 118

It'd be a good fight, I just don't think Trinidad had enough to resort to here.
Russell is offline  Top
Old 02-13-2008, 12:37 PM   #7
abraq
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Duran.
abraq is offline  Top
Old 02-13-2008, 02:02 PM   #8
radianttwilight
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Duran, his style is all wrong for Tito.
radianttwilight is offline  Top
Old 02-13-2008, 03:06 PM   #9
Longhhorn71
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnThomas1
I like Duran here, at his best. The thing to remember with these 147 and above Duran fights is that he was VERY hot and cold, sometimes sizzling and sometimes just utter shyte comparatively. In picking him solidly over Cotto, and to win vs Tito i am envisioning a tip top Duran, but the thing is this was an off, off, off, on thing.

Duran at 147 and above is troubled much much more by slick boxers and movers than come forward fighters. Tito could box a little bit and could make things awkward with the right tactics but if Duran is properly prepared i like him in this one.
I concur with JT.
Longhhorn71 is offline  Top
Old 02-13-2008, 05:24 PM   #10
Robbi
Marvelous
East Side Guru

Duran's relentless style against Palamino and Leonard would spell big trouble for Trinidad. While Duran never possessed devastating power at any point in is career, not just as a welterweight, he does have enough pop to put Trinidad on the canavas.

Duran would be presented with the same type of opportunities Leonard gave him in Montreal. Trinidad doesn't have the mobility, finesse, and the boxing ability to frustrate Duran. He's always been a flat-footed come forward bomber who's tight, rigid, and measured with his approach. I feel Duran would force Trinidad onto the backfoot. And Trinidad usually just covers up when he's under attack, rather than fire back with punches when he's moving back at the same time. He needs to be set before teeing off with power punches.

Trinidad was a dangerous fighter after hitting the canvas. He was floored many times throughout his career, and only got knocked out once against Hopkins. But fighters who floored Trinidad at 147lbs such as Stephens, Campas, Lusheing, and Carr aren't fighters with the same killer instinct as Duran.

Duran TKO 6
Robbi is offline  Top
Old 02-14-2008, 01:04 PM   #11
Shake
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

While Tito is a monstrous puncher at 147, Duran did very well against come-forward fighters, while Trinidad had trouble with people moving side-to-side.

While not a side-to-side mover per-se, Duran could employ in-and-out movement very well, and was much better on the inside than Trinidad. He would not stick around at mid-range and trade with Tito, that's one thing I'm sure of.

I'd favor Duran by decision in a competitive fight.
Shake is offline  Top
Old 02-14-2008, 06:57 PM   #12
red cobra
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Duran would have outboxed, outpunched, outchinned, and just outeverythinged Tito.
red cobra is offline  Top
Old 02-14-2008, 09:46 PM   #13
Sweet Pea
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Re-watch the first 7 rounds of Tito/Whitaker, and watch a shot Whitaker out-fight the bigger man in close quarters, and then imagine a Montreal Duran. Nuff said.

Tito was tough, but I could see him getting stopped here, a la Cuevas, likely a bit later though.
Sweet Pea is offline  Top
Old 02-14-2008, 10:20 PM   #14
Russell
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 118

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbi
Duran's relentless style against Palamino and Leonard would spell big trouble for Trinidad. While Duran never possessed devastating power at any point in is career, not just as a welterweight, he does have enough pop to put Trinidad on the canavas.

Duran would be presented with the same type of opportunities Leonard gave him in Montreal. Trinidad doesn't have the mobility, finesse, and the boxing ability to frustrate Duran. He's always been a flat-footed come forward bomber who's tight, rigid, and measured with his approach. I feel Duran would force Trinidad onto the backfoot. And Trinidad usually just covers up when he's under attack, rather than fire back with punches when he's moving back at the same time. He needs to be set before teeing off with power punches.

Trinidad was a dangerous fighter after hitting the canvas. He was floored many times throughout his career, and only got knocked out once against Hopkins. But fighters who floored Trinidad at 147lbs such as Stephens, Campas, Lusheing, and Carr aren't fighters with the same killer instinct as Duran.

Duran TKO 6
I agree that Duran could stop Trinidad, but in six? Way too early.

Have to factor in that Trinidad has four inches on Duran, as well as a half foot reach advantage.

Not going to win him the fight, but I think it'd take more than six for Duran to wear him down and knock him out.
Russell is offline  Top
Old 02-15-2008, 12:05 AM   #15
Robbi
Marvelous
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell
I agree that Duran could stop Trinidad, but in six? Way too early.

Have to factor in that Trinidad has four inches on Duran, as well as a half foot reach advantage.

Not going to win him the fight, but I think it'd take more than six for Duran to wear him down and knock him out.
The height and reach factors don't mean too much considering the styles. It's not as if Trinidad was a fighter who liked to keep opponents at the tail end of his punches. Mid-range and inside were the areas where Trinidad tee'd off with his heavy weaponry.

Duran had the slickness; waist and head movement, and the ability to feint his way inside. Mind now, Trinidad would be more than happy to get involved with Duran. He doesn't have any other option actually, as he was always a technically rigid aggressor with knockout on his mind too often. Open and vulnerable. Duran's not quite as hittable as people tend to think when he's looking to get from long range onto an opponents chest.

Trinidad does have a slight advantage on the outside, but his style invites Duran inside.
Robbi is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum