Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum

Old 03-03-2013, 02:36 PM   #1
Thracian
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 500
Default Pride > ufc

Any doubt here that at 205 and heavyweight, PRIDE was much deeper than the UFC during the respective primes of the UFC & PRIDE?
Thracian is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 03-03-2013, 02:49 PM   #2
sugarngold
RIDDUM
East Side Guru

vCash: 157
Default Re: Pride > ufc

The UFC had a solid 205 division. You have to remember that Wanderlei started his reign of terror in Pride AFTER losing to Tito in the UFC.

Pride had a lock on the heavyweights without a doubt. There's no comparing Tim Sylvia/Arlovski to Nogueira/Fedor/Crocop/Herring/Coleman.
sugarngold is offline  Top
Old 03-03-2013, 03:32 PM   #3
scurlaruntings
ESB 2002 Club
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thracian View Post
Any doubt here that at 205 and heavyweight, PRIDE was much deeper than the UFC during the respective primes of the UFC & PRIDE?
Considering all PRIDE had when it originally started was a heavy division then they added Middleweight (Light Heavy) and so on it stands to reason they had the better talent. Apart from Chuck Couture and Tito 205 in the UFC was a wasteland. By that time even Shamrock didn't count.
scurlaruntings is offline  Top
Old 03-03-2013, 03:36 PM   #4
Thracian
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Rampage wrecked Liddell in PRIDE.

Jon Jones is the top 205er right now, and would probably beat Shogun in any era, prime vs prime, but its cool to see Wanderlei and Hunt getting these wins against good UFC opponents.

The TUF scrubs of today are not even worth mentioning, even compared to past-it PRIDE fighters.
Thracian is offline  Top
Old 03-03-2013, 03:40 PM   #5
scurlaruntings
ESB 2002 Club
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thracian View Post
Rampage wrecked Liddell in PRIDE.

Jon Jones is the top 205er right now, and would probably beat Shogun in any era, prime vs prime, but its cool to see Wanderlei and Hunt getting these wins against good UFC opponents.

The TUF scrubs of today are not even worth mentioning, even compared to past-it PRIDE fighters.
Under PRIDE rules prime for prime no chance.
Jones length will always cause any fighter at 205 problems but he has his work cut out seriously under PRIDE rules and looses one of his best assets, elbows.
Old 03-03-2013, 03:42 PM   #6
Peter__1987

vCash:

I'm a big a PRIDE fan as anyone but I think it's a bit of a case of nostalgia ruling your head when you suggest Shogun from PRIDE would of beat JBJ.

He would of got smashed as well.
Old 03-03-2013, 04:10 PM   #7
Rob_Floyd
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 847

Quote:
Originally Posted by scurlaruntings View Post
Under PRIDE rules prime for prime no chance.
Jones length will always cause any fighter at 205 problems but he has his work cut out seriously under PRIDE rules and looses one of his best assets, elbows.
Under Pride rules there is still no scenario against Jones where Shogun would be able to use stomps/knees to a grounded opponent/soccer kicks. There would be, however, a lot of opportunities for Jones to do so.

Not to say that a prime Shogun wouldn't have a much better chance.
Rob_Floyd is offline  Top
Old 03-03-2013, 04:13 PM   #8
scurlaruntings
ESB 2002 Club
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_Floyd View Post
Under Pride rules there is still no scenario against Jones where Shogun would be able to use stomps/knees to a grounded opponent/soccer kicks. There would be, however, a lot of opportunities for Jones to do so.
You must have a crystal ball. As seeing as there is a MASSIVE difference between fighting in a cage and a ring, as well as under rules JJ has never fought under before, i don't see how you're able to make that conclusion, when JJ has never used a soccer kick or knee's to a downed opponent in his entire career.
Old 03-03-2013, 04:13 PM   #9
Thracian
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

I love Shogun, and it would definitely be a closer fight than they had in 2011.

2005 Shogun vs 2012 Jones would be epic!
Thracian is offline  Top
Old 03-03-2013, 04:17 PM   #10
Rob_Floyd
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
You must have a crystal ball. As seeing as there is a MASSIVE difference between fighting in a cage and a ring, as well as under rules JJ has never fought under before, i don't see how you're able to make that conclusion, when JJ has never used a soccer kick or knee's to a downed opponent in his entire career.
We are talking in hypotheticals, here. I think Jones would probably be able to pick up those tools. It's not like soccer kicks are a very subtle art.

There is no way of knowing that Jones wouldn't be equally as effective in a ring as in a cage.
Old 03-03-2013, 04:28 PM   #11
Rob_Floyd
Belt holder
ESB Addict

I think Arona would be a more stylistically interesting fight, to be honest.
Old 03-03-2013, 04:31 PM   #12
scurlaruntings
ESB 2002 Club
East Side VIP

Quote:
We are talking in hypotheticals, here. I think Jones would probably be able to pick up those tools. It's not like soccer kicks are a very subtle art.

There is no way of knowing that Jones wouldn't be equally as effective in a ring as in a cage.
Indeed they were not. But both soccer kicks and foot stomps were an integral part of the Chute Boxe arsenal. Jones without his elbows would certainly have great difficulty in a ring when he's used to the cage. Granted we're talking about a lot of unknown intangibles here but there's no way prime for prime you can just nonchalantly dismiss Shogun when he was easily one of the most precocious talents to ever grace 205 in MMA history.
Old 03-03-2013, 04:32 PM   #13
EL BULLY
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:

Not to say that a prime Shogun wouldn't have a much better chance.
Jones has never been on his back and he's never been knocked down so the chance of him landing soccer kicks is infinitely more likely than him having to eat any. JBJ is too big, too strong and too good at 205 for any fighter from any organisation at any time in my opinion. Does this mean UFC is better than Pride or vice versa? No. This argument is a bit like comparing VHS to Betamax, it's the quality of the films that count, not the format.
EL BULLY is offline  Top
Old 03-03-2013, 04:32 PM   #14
scurlaruntings
ESB 2002 Club
East Side VIP

Quote:
I think Arona would be a more stylistically interesting fight, to be honest.
No chance. Arona was great on the mat. But on his feet and even his submission game was poor. I wouldn't envisage him taking Jones down at all. And if the fight remained on its feet he'd get stopped.
Old 03-03-2013, 04:34 PM   #15
Rob_Floyd
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Indeed they were not. But both soccer kicks and foot stomps were an integral part of the Chute Boxe arsenal. Jones without his elbows would certainly have great difficulty in a ring when he's used to the cage. Granted we're talking about a lot of unknown intangibles here but there's no way prime for prime you can just nonchalantly dismiss Shogun when he was easily one of the most precocious talents to ever grace 205 in MMA history.
My intention wasn't to dismiss him at all. I love Shogun; I just would just give the edge to Jones even under Pride rules, if I had to bet.

Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum