Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 02-13-2008, 09:26 AM   #1
bill poster
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Manny's preparation for Hearns 2 big fights

I would argue that Hearns would have stopped Leonard if he had come in at the proper weight. Manny should NEVER have let this happen.

Also, the supposed leg massage before the Hagler fight.. Excuse or not, Manny should have been in that room!!

bill poster is offline  Top
Old 02-14-2008, 01:53 AM   #2
Dave's Top Ten
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Default Re: Manny's preparation for Hearns 2 big fights

If ever there was a bogus excuse for losing a fight it has to be that ****ing massage story. I mean yeah, if he hadn't had the leg rub Hagler woulda got KTFO. Yep
Dave's Top Ten is offline  Top
Old 02-14-2008, 02:01 AM   #3
Russell
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 118

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave's Top Ten
If ever there was a bogus excuse for losing a fight it has to be that ****ing massage story. I mean yeah, if he hadn't had the leg rub Hagler woulda got KTFO. Yep
Or Hearns would of been able to keep his feet and Hagler would of been stopped because his face was being destroyed.

Anyone who can't even fathom was happen has a problem of one kind of another.

The very first thing Gil Clancy said during the first Hearns/Leonard fight was that I don't like that weight.
Russell is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 02-14-2008, 02:42 AM   #4
Dave's Top Ten
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell
Or Hearns would of been able to keep his feet and Hagler would of been stopped because his face was being destroyed.

Anyone who can't even fathom was happen has a problem of one kind of another.

The very first thing Gil Clancy said during the first Hearns/Leonard fight was that I don't like that weight.
Well I just don't buy the whole weakened leg thing, especially coz of this mysterious leg massage. If you watch the fight, Hearns stumble in the 2nd round was because Hagler stood on his foot (which the ref noted) and in the third round Hearns stumbled changing direction (this was after two rounds of hell). Hearns' leg strength was never his strong point anway, let's face it. Managers etc have to come out with excuses for their fighter so they can maintain credibility in the shadow of defeat. That's understandable. Doesn't mean we have to believe the BS though....
Old 02-14-2008, 02:50 AM   #5
Russell
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Hearns NEVER opted for the bullshit route.

The guy refused to take a nasal medication he felt it would be an unfair advantage in the ring.

You do remember how Hearns conducted himself in the ring after being robbed against Leonard, correct?
Russell is offline  Top
Old 02-14-2008, 04:09 AM   #6
Dave's Top Ten
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell
Hearns NEVER opted for the bullshit route.

The guy refused to take a nasal medication he felt it would be an unfair advantage in the ring.

You do remember how Hearns conducted himself in the ring after being robbed against Leonard, correct?
"Managers etc have to come out with excuses for their fighter "...you see I never mentioned Hearns himself. Tommy was a class act, agreed. The thread is about Steward. Nuff said.
Old 02-14-2008, 04:25 AM   #7
Russell
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Eh, the story hasn't changed over the years. The leg rubdown was it from day one as far as I know.

Sometimes it's bullshit, sometimes it's not.

I think the story legitmate.
Russell is offline  Top
Old 02-14-2008, 05:47 AM   #8
Doppleganger
Il Genio
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 800

The story is legit AFAIK and from round 2 onwards Tommy did not have his legs, so there is credence to the story. I don't think it would have altered the fight though as I think the injury that did was the breakage to Tommy's right hand. Hearns stunned Hagler early and nearly had him on the floor. I often wonder what would have happened had Tommy been able to hit Hagler often like that. I guess also that there is a possibility that the fight may have been stopped on cuts in Hearn's favour had he been able to stick out another 2-3 rounds.

As far as the first fight goes Tommy was light and the ref may have been slightly premature but don't take anything away from Sugar Ray. He came back from a losing situation and he won the fight fair and square. It was the body punches from Leonard in round 6 that did Tommy in not the fact he came in 2 pounds light. I think Tommy would have beaten him in a quick rematch though and I think Leonard was in no hurry to give him one, as we found out.
Doppleganger is offline  Top
Old 02-14-2008, 06:49 AM   #9
Sonny's jab

vCash:

Leg massage excuse is a pile of shit, IMO.

Hearns had skinny wobbly legs when in against many of those stronger middleweight fighters. Usually it took a few rounds to happen, but this was a brutal fight, the physical and emotional pressure was severe.
He used up a hell of a lot of NERVOUS ENERGY in that first round, and he was in against a SOLID ROCK fighter.

Hearns was in good shape for Hagler, but he simply wasn't good enough. It's not the same as throwing him in with an out-of-shape Duran or a welterweight, or an ordinary middleweight.
Hagler was just the better man.

Manny Steward talks crap. Just like Lou Duva and Angelo Dundee talk crap. Lots of bullshitters in boxing. And lots of fans to eat it up.
Old 02-14-2008, 06:49 AM   #10
Russell
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Yeah, I've got near zero to no problems with the first Leonard matched. Leonard was utterly outboxed in there for half the fight but then basically willed himself to a win.

Your legs not being there and breaking your hand are two big strikes against you that need to be taken into consideration, though.
Russell is offline  Top
Old 02-14-2008, 02:46 PM   #11
TIGEREDGE
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Could Be True About The Leg Massage. But Manny Does Talk Shit Sometimes
TIGEREDGE is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum