Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 03-06-2013, 05:36 PM   #1
Celtic Warrior
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 1050
Default Used to be a front foot pressure fighter, but now I naturally box of the front foot

When I started boxing a few years ago and until quite recently I was a natural pressure fighter.

But nowadays I find myself boxing of the back foot when someone puts the slightest pressure on me.

I think this is because I'm a better boxer and much more relaxed in the ring now. But this worked to my detriment in my last fight.

Anyone else have this experience?

I'm thinking I should get back to pressure fighting, feel that I'm better this way but I can't seem to shake myself out of this grove.
Celtic Warrior is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 03-06-2013, 07:06 PM   #2
KillSomething
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 202
Default Re: Used to be a front foot pressure fighter, but now I naturally box of the front fo

Same here. When I started out I had a Mexican coach who was really big on the pressure style, being a tough guy, etc. Then I went to a gym where the coaches were more scientific, but I mostly stuck with the pressure style. Basically my skill level wasn't high enough to be effective in any way but pressuring and out-athleting the other guy, but it was really really effective because it suited my talents (good engine, good power, tall, bodypuncher, etc.)

I ended up going through a lot of personal stuff and some injuries and stopped going to the gym for a long time (about 2 years), but I never stopped shadowboxing (and drilling the skills my second coaches taught me). I got extremely out of shape, though, so knowing that I couldn't rely on athleticism I started watching a lot of boxing, picking up little tricks from different fighters, and drilling them in shadowboxing.

When I finally went back to the gym to spar I was in terrible shape but my skill level had increased and I hadn't gotten any shorter. So I tried a countering style (similar to Hopkins and Archie Moore) and it worked really well as long as I could maintain it. Basically fence with the jab and use footwork to set up angles and counterpunches. Since my output was like 1/4 what it used to be I had to make all the punches count.

My plan is to mix it up and use both styles because they both work. You could try this: Counter off the front foot. Basically walk people down on the end of your jab and counter anything they give you. If they pressure you (which they always will sooner or later), just stand your ground and beat them back then go back to countering. It's ok to back up but only to draw them onto a counter. Basically mantain your distance but control the center of the ring and BEAT THE HELL OUT OF THEM if they try to take it from you.
KillSomething is offline  Top
Old 03-07-2013, 03:44 AM   #3
Celtic Warrior
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Default Re: Used to be a front foot pressure fighter, but now I naturally box of the front fo

That's good advice.

'Hold the centre of the ring' is a term I often hear but need to put into practice.
Old 03-07-2013, 10:39 AM   #4
scrap
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

I sometimes think people dont understand, the Term Fighting of the Back Foot. People who back of sometimes, are still on the Front Foot. While those who go forward, are correctly on there Back Foot. See it a lot. One way of finding out how your balance is, is switch to Southpaw for a minute, see if the posture is different, and balance.
scrap is offline  Top
Old 03-07-2013, 05:14 PM   #5
BagsWithDust
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celtic Warrior View Post
That's good advice.

'Hold the centre of the ring' is a term I often hear but need to put into practice.
same here, my coaches always tell me that if you are a fighter who has good legs and likes to box on the outside, "stay in the ****ing middle". as a boxer if you can control the fight in the middle and never make it back to the ropes then you are pretty well off
BagsWithDust is offline  Top
Old 03-12-2013, 05:19 PM   #6
Celtic Warrior
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

[quote=scrap;14902610]I sometimes think people dont understand, the Term Fighting of the Back Foot. People who back of sometimes, are still on the Front Foot. While those who go forward, are correctly on there Back Foot. See it a lot. One way of finding out how your balance is, is switch to Southpaw for a minute, see if the posture is different, and balance.[/QUOTE

Any tips on correcting this Scrap. I've an issue with putting my weight on my front foot and it's messing up my balance.
Old 03-12-2013, 06:22 PM   #7
scrap
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ] Nice way of doing it
scrap is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing