Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum

View Poll Results: Who do you want to win?
GSP 26 53.06%
Diaz 23 46.94%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-06-2013, 04:51 AM   #16
BUMPY KNUCKLES
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75
Default Re: GSP vs Diaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter__1987 View Post
Nick Diaz's boxing is downright pathetic?

Tell that to BJ Penn, Robbie Lawler & Paul Daley (to name a few).
BJ Penn was hardly in the best shape for that fight.
BUMPY KNUCKLES is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 03-06-2013, 04:57 AM   #17
scurlaruntings
ESB 2002 Club
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Nick Diaz's boxing is downright pathetic?

Tell that to BJ Penn, Robbie Lawler & Paul Daley (to name a few).
Just because he's stopped a few guys doesn't mean his boxing is good
Under Queensbury rules he wouldn't even make a low grade journeymen. Time and again all we hear about is his boxing. But this is a guy who does almost everything wrong from a boxing perspective.

BORKED

This is the video Diaz didn't want you to see. Him being humiliated by Henry (RIP). Bear in mind they're sparring and Henry is obviously pulling his punches.
scurlaruntings is offline  Top
Old 03-06-2013, 05:04 AM   #18
BUMPY KNUCKLES
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Diaz boxing is awful, but not as awful as Rogan making out like hes some sort of great technician. It's the the relentless pressure that makes it effective.
BUMPY KNUCKLES is offline  Top
Old 03-06-2013, 05:09 AM   #19
scurlaruntings
ESB 2002 Club
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUMPY KNUCKLES View Post
Diaz boxing is awful, but not as awful as Rogan making out like hes some sort of great technician. It's the the relentless pressure that makes it effective.
Diaz is only able to pressure his opponents because of his chin. He's more than willing to take one to give one. Even if that means eating a lot of leather. That relentless pressure is usually what breaks his opponents down. Not his boxing. His only advantage is his length. And because the quality of boxing is so poor in the UFC/MMA he's able to get away with techniques that make him look far better than what he actually is.
Old 03-06-2013, 05:15 AM   #20
Peter__1987

vCash:

Quote:
Originally Posted by scurlaruntings View Post
Under Queensbury rules he wouldn't even make a low grade journeymen. Time and again all we hear about is his boxing. But this is a guy who does almost everything wrong from a boxing perspective.

BORKED

This is the video Diaz didn't want you to see. Him being humiliated by Henry (RIP). Bear in mind they're sparring and Henry is obviously pulling his punches.

He's sparring a BOXER on that video, what do you expect?

When I or anyone else says "his boxing is good" We're obviously referring too his boxing skills in an MMA match.

An MMA fighter getting tooled by a BOXER in a BOXING MATCH, Wow I'm so surprised
Old 03-06-2013, 05:18 AM   #21
scurlaruntings
ESB 2002 Club
East Side VIP

Quote:

He's sparring a BOXER on that video, what do you expect?

When I or anyone else says "his boxing is good" We're obviously referring too his boxing skills in an MMA match.

An MMA fighter getting tooled by a BOXER in a BOXING MATCH, Wow I'm so surprised
Hmmm we're talking about his BOXING. Let me underline that one for you again and put it in caps. His BOXING.
Now go back and read my original post. As i never mentioned anything about his boxing in an 'MMA match' I'm talking about his boxing from a purist perspective which is abundantly clear from my previous posts.
Secondly this isn't about Henry tooling him. Its about his technique, again which i made clear in my previous posts. Keep up.
Old 03-06-2013, 05:25 AM   #22
Rob_Floyd
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 847

Quote:

BORKED

I'm glad that the title of the video specifies that the sparring took place before Omar Henry's death.
Rob_Floyd is offline  Top
Old 03-06-2013, 05:27 AM   #23
Peter__1987

vCash:

Quote:
Hmmm we're talking about his BOXING. Let me underline that one for you again and put it in caps. His BOXING.
Now go back and read my original post. As i never mentioned anything about his boxing in an 'MMA match' I'm talking about his boxing from a purist perspective which is abundantly clear from my previous posts.
Secondly this isn't about Henry tooling him. Its about his technique, again which i made clear in my previous posts. Keep up.
We're in the MMA Forum talking about an MMA fighter.
Old 03-06-2013, 05:28 AM   #24
scurlaruntings
ESB 2002 Club
East Side VIP

Quote:
We're in the MMA Forum talking about an MMA fighter.
Riiiiiight...
Old 03-06-2013, 05:32 AM   #25
Koa
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobDigi5060 View Post
Always been a Diaz brothers fan, but respect GSP. A Great ambassador for the Sport and has brought many new fans along with him.

I believe we will see him at his best and cause so much damage changing levels and fighting at pace with Diaz that this one won't go to the cards. Either GSP by TKO or Diaz with a beautiful submission. Either way this will be a good one!
I don't think GSP has an oz of killer in him, really he just goes for the easiest openings he can exploit without putting himself at much risk.

I see this going one way.. GSP destroying Diaz with leg kicks, if GSP starts getting stockton slapped, he takes it to the ground and plays it very safe..

End of the night, if he can establish the leg kick, he has a chance of finishing Diaz, if not.. Just a grind out win for GSP.. He talks like he has fire in him, but I've only seen him hurt guys incidentally. He has decent finishing instincts, but nothing special, nothing Wanderleiesque.

Just a super hard working, grinding fighter who plays it safe. That's what he's given us since he became champ, that's what I expect to happen with Diaz.
Koa is offline  Top
Old 03-06-2013, 05:33 AM   #26
Peter__1987

vCash:

Quote:
Riiiiiight...
Back to the general forum.
Old 03-06-2013, 07:24 AM   #27
WATERBOY
I Worship Steven Tucker
ESB Senior Member

Diaz will eat a lot of jab buttys!
WATERBOY is offline  Top
Old 03-06-2013, 09:46 AM   #28
Travis Fulton
The Ironman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_Floyd View Post
I'm glad that the title of the video specifies that the sparring took place before Omar Henry's death.
lol
Travis Fulton is offline  Top
Old 03-06-2013, 09:47 AM   #29
Godfather
I put the G in God
ESB Jr Member

Quote:

BORKED

Diaz certainly isn't a textbook boxer. However, his boxing style is designed for MMA. He throws loads of punches but only about 1/5th of them have full power. His stamina, timing, chin and power are all very good. Obviously Henry was going to make him look stupid in a boxing ring. Put a boxer in MMA and he'd have to change his style for the threat of take downs.

From an MMA perspective Diaz has world class boxing. Not elite but definitely world class. But his style of boxing wouldn't suit a lot of fighters. Its designed for his levels of stamina, the size of his limbs and his chin.

EDIT - I just read your response to Pete's response. My post is mostly redundant. But I think its worth saying that there's more than one type of boxing, so its not unreasonable to say Diaz boxing isn't overrated from an MMA perspective.
Godfather is offline  Top
Old 03-06-2013, 10:38 AM   #30
Peter__1987

vCash:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godfather View Post

EDIT - I just read your response to Pete's response. My post is mostly redundant. But I think its worth saying that there's more than one type of boxing, so its not unreasonable to say Diaz boxing isn't overrated from an MMA perspective.
Good post.

What I was getting at, is when we say "Diaz has great boxing" we are referring to his boxing skills in the sport he ACTUALLY COMPETES in which is MMA.

I would of thought this was straight forward and wouldn't need clarifying, obviously not.

It's like, If I came in here and said "Jose Aldo has great Muay Thai" I'm obviously referring to his Muay Thai skills within MMA and in comparison to the average Muay Thai skillset of his weight division in MMA.

That doesn't mean he wouldn't get ****ing murdered off Buakaw.

I would of thought this was all obvious, but boxing fanboys are annoying as ****.

Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum