Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum

View Poll Results: Who do you want to win?
GSP 26 53.06%
Diaz 23 46.94%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-06-2013, 11:02 AM   #31
scurlaruntings
ESB 2002 Club
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: GSP vs Diaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter__1987 View Post
Good post.

What I was getting at, is when we say "Diaz has great boxing" we are referring to his boxing skills in the sport he ACTUALLY COMPETES in which is MMA.

I would of thought this was straight forward and wouldn't need clarifying, obviously not.

It's like, If I came in here and said "Jose Aldo has great Muay Thai" I'm obviously referring to his Muay Thai skills within MMA and in comparison to the average Muay Thai skillset of his weight division in MMA.

That doesn't mean he wouldn't get ****ing murdered off Buakaw.

I would of thought this was all obvious, but boxing fanboys are annoying as ****.
O FFS you prat the shit isn't difficult. Iv repeated myself umpteen times that i'm talking about his boxing from a BOXING PERSPECTIVE. NOT MMA. How many times do i have to repeat this and why is that concept so ****ing difficult to grasp? Fanboy my ass. You lack reading comprehension.
scurlaruntings is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 03-06-2013, 11:06 AM   #32
scurlaruntings
ESB 2002 Club
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godfather View Post
Diaz certainly isn't a textbook boxer. However, his boxing style is designed for MMA. He throws loads of punches but only about 1/5th of them have full power. His stamina, timing, chin and power are all very good. Obviously Henry was going to make him look stupid in a boxing ring. Put a boxer in MMA and he'd have to change his style for the threat of take downs.

From an MMA perspective Diaz has world class boxing. Not elite but definitely world class. But his style of boxing wouldn't suit a lot of fighters. Its designed for his levels of stamina, the size of his limbs and his chin.

EDIT - I just read your response to Pete's response. My post is mostly redundant. But I think its worth saying that there's more than one type of boxing, so its not unreasonable to say Diaz boxing isn't overrated from an MMA perspective.
Don't disagree mate but as you've gathered i wasn't talking about that. I also don't think its possible to call his boxing world class by any standard. As MMA is not the barometer to measure 'boxing' by. Competent absolutely. World class by a BOXING standard, no chance. I think you might be mistaking his effectiveness with his BOXING ability.
I iterate again from a boxing purist perspective he does pretty much everything wrong. If his boxing was world class than by extension that would translate to a fight under Queensbury rules. But its clear as day it does not. The same is true for Silva and also and AA.

Last edited by scurlaruntings; 03-06-2013 at 11:52 AM.
Old 03-06-2013, 11:23 AM   #33
HeGlassedMe
ufc is the new pet rock
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 109

Diaz via body shot KO.
HeGlassedMe is offline  Top
Old 03-06-2013, 11:42 AM   #34
Peter__1987

vCash:

Quote:
Originally Posted by scurlaruntings View Post
O FFS you prat the shit isn't difficult. Iv repeated myself umpteen times that i'm talking about his boxing from a BOXING PERSPECTIVE. NOT MMA. How many times do i have to repeat this and why is that concept so ****ing difficult to grasp? Fanboy my ass. You lack reading comprehension.
WE'RE IN A ****ING MMA FORUM TALKING ABOUT AN MMA FIGHTER YOU ****ING TIT.

If you want to talk about boxing, go to the ****ing boxing forum.

Wanker.
Old 03-06-2013, 11:44 AM   #35
scurlaruntings
ESB 2002 Club
East Side VIP

Quote:
WE'RE IN A ****ING MMA FORUM TALKING ABOUT AN MMA FIGHTER YOU ****ING TIT.

If you want to talk about boxing, go to the ****ing boxing forum.

Wanker.
O be quiet you child. You don't have the mental capacity to even understand what i'm saying. Take your own advice and **** off to the GF. You have nothing to contribute here.
Old 03-06-2013, 11:47 AM   #36
Peter__1987

vCash:

Quote:
O be quiet you child. You don't have the mental capacity to even understand what i'm saying. Take your own advice and **** off to the GF. You have nothing to contribute here.

Ah **** it, I can't be arsed.

You think GSP will smash him then?
Old 03-06-2013, 11:50 AM   #37
scurlaruntings
ESB 2002 Club
East Side VIP

Quote:

Ah **** it, I can't be arsed.

You think GSP will smash him then?
I hope GSP caves his face in beyond recognition. But Diaz is a live underdog. And i wouldn't be surprised at all if he stopped GSP. GSP's got his hands full that much i do know.
Old 03-06-2013, 11:56 AM   #38
Peter__1987

vCash:

Quote:
I hope GSP caves his face in beyond recognition. But Diaz is a live underdog. And i wouldn't be surprised at all if he stopped GSP. GSP's got his hands full that much i do know.
I've got a feeling GSP may stand with him, which makes it very interesting.

He's been doing Muay Thai with JWP Hasn't he?

If they stand up and bang it out it's gonna be ****ing interesting.

A Diaz title run would be hilarious
Old 03-06-2013, 12:02 PM   #39
scurlaruntings
ESB 2002 Club
East Side VIP

Quote:
I've got a feeling GSP may stand with him, which makes it very interesting.

He's been doing Muay Thai with JWP Hasn't he?

If they stand up and bang it out it's gonna be ****ing interesting.

A Diaz title run would be hilarious
GSP has a problem. He doesn't like getting hit. And he's not the same hungry GSP pre Matt Huges. The one that just tore through Huges, Trigg and Sherk. That GSP is gone. What we have now is a Greg Jackson safety first GSP.
The mat really isn't the place to go with Diaz as he has a very good guard. GSP has a great sub defense but out of the two he's at a disadvantage minus his grappling. On his feet the advantage again has to go to Diaz, primarily because of his chin, relentless pressure and length. I don't want to see a Diaz title run. The dudes just too unprofessional. Plus he's a bone head. But yeah i agree i think GSP's strategy will be to keep it standing as his been training with Bute.
Old 03-06-2013, 03:15 PM   #40
Godfather
I put the G in God
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 75

You guys clearly know more about this than me so you'll hopefully school me on this. I thought, seeing as Diaz is very strong on his back and has the stronger striking, GSP would look to follow a similar game plan to Condit except he'd look to put more power in his leg kicks. Also I imagined he'd focus on going to the body. He'd fake for a take down, Diaz prepares himself, then GSP lets a few shots go to the body. Could this happen? I think its the only way he could force a stoppage and nullify Diaz's offence.
Godfather is offline  Top
Old 03-06-2013, 03:20 PM   #41
Rob_Floyd
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 847

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godfather View Post
You guys clearly know more about this than me so you'll hopefully school me on this. I thought, seeing as Diaz is very strong on his back and has the stronger striking, GSP would look to follow a similar game plan to Condit except he'd look to put more power in his leg kicks. Also I imagined he'd focus on going to the body. He'd fake for a take down, Diaz prepares himself, then GSP lets a few shots go to the body. Could this happen? I think its the only way he could force a stoppage and nullify Diaz's offence.
I don't know that he'll go for a lot of body shots, but I do think he's going to try to replicate Condit to a degree.

Probably see a few instances of his superman jab/low kick combo.

Diaz has paper skin, and GSP has a very accurate jab that he uses with great consistency. I think there is a good chance that we will see a stoppage due to cuts.
Rob_Floyd is offline  Top
Old 03-06-2013, 04:03 PM   #42
Travis Fulton
The Ironman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 500

didn't GSP say at some point that the Bendo/NateDiaz fight was a perfect blueprint for him to apply to his fight against nick ?
Travis Fulton is offline  Top
Old 03-08-2013, 04:02 AM   #43
Koa
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Fulton View Post
didn't GSP say at some point that the Bendo/NateDiaz fight was a perfect blueprint for him to apply to his fight against nick ?
I the glaring, gaping hole in Diaz' defense is his legs. GSP tends to like to look for one glaring weakness and exploit it.. Just like with Koschek and the jab, but this time we may end up watching GSP try to chop Diaz down like a skinny tree.

The jab is still there, but it's not the best tool vs. Diaz. So yeah, the trick is to keep distance and flog the legs as Diaz tries to close with his version of Calslappy boxing.

With Diaz, you always know what he's going to do.
Koa is offline  Top
Old 03-08-2013, 04:09 AM   #44
Rob_Floyd
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 847

If Nick could withstand Cyborg's low kick assault, surely he can deal with GSP's.

Though they may have an effect over the course of five rounds if he sticks with him.

I really think GSP will be looking to open up cuts one way or another.
Rob_Floyd is offline  Top
Old 03-08-2013, 07:20 AM   #45
yaca you
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Kicks are certainly where GSP has the edge. He will probably be able to take Diaz down at will, but then he will have to deal with Nicks submissions from guard. Kicks are the key here from GSP, not just to the leg and body but also the highkick will play a big role if george chooses to use it. By threatening with the highkick often it will make diaz have to keep his hands high and limit his punching offense somewhat. You combine the highkick with the repeated lowkicks and you have a good double threat that Diaz cant ignore.

I do expect a lot of takedowns from Gsp to also disrupt Diaz's come forward pressure style and of course score points. But I dont think Gsp will want it on the ground for long similar to what he did with Jake Shields.

This is a good matchup. more than likely this will go like the usual gsp fight a of "how to control your opponent for 5 rounds", but their is a good chance of something spectacular happening.

I would like to see Diaz take this by tko. It would really make the welterweight division which is very deep much more exciting.
yaca you is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum