Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 03-05-2013, 10:58 AM   #1
macalpinerules
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500
Default Success against Mayweather through the years

Fighters who have had the most success against mayweather

1) Jose Luis Castillio - No question. On the professional level no fighter has had more success against Mayweather in a single fight.

2) Oscar De La Hoya - troubled mayweather early on with a jab. Some ring Observers had him up at the midway point of the fight. Also, his defense was underrated that night, he was able to catch most of what mayweather threw at him. Floyd won but did not look good or dominant.

3)Zab Judah - I think it's safe to say Judah is the only to legitimately knock Mayweather down. He troubled Mayweather with his speed early on, and Mayweather had a very concerned look unlike the other times when he smiles when guys do well against him.

4) Miguel cotto - Landed some solid jabs and body shots. Made Mayweather dig deep and stand his ground. Mayweather won easily but he acknowledged that it was one of his toughest professional fights.

5)Shane Mosley - Almost shut the lights out. That's about it. Worth a mention as it was close to over.

6) Demarcus Corley - Same thing as Mosley. In one instance he had mayweather close to the edge. Nothing more.

7) Ricky Hatton - Maybe Hatton should be higher but I just feel his offense was severely lacking that night. However, Hatton put tremendous pressure on Floyd and made him fight at the highest pace of his career. And who knows, If Cortez decided to say "fight and get free" instead of "break" it might have been as tough as the Castillio affair. Hatton was really determined that night and walked through perfectly placed right hands for 9 rounds.

Castillio wins the success against Mayweather designation.
macalpinerules is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 03-05-2013, 11:00 AM   #2
HoldMyBeer
Champion
East Side Guru

Default Re: Success against Mayweather through the years

fighters learn from experience, floyd adapated beautifully in their second fight and it's been a strength of his since

a lot of good, young fighters have these fights on their way up the ladder
HoldMyBeer is offline  Top
Old 03-05-2013, 11:21 AM   #3
Mind Reader
RIP Captain Phil
East Side Guru

vCash: 760

Quote:
Originally Posted by macalpinerules View Post

1) Jose Luis Castillio - No question. On the professional level no fighter has had more success against Mayweather in a single fight.

2) Oscar De La Hoya - troubled mayweather early on with a jab. Some ring Observers had him up at the midway point of the fight. Also, his defense was underrated that night, he was able to catch most of what mayweather threw at him. Floyd won but did not look good or dominant.

3)Zab Judah - I think it's safe to say Judah is the only to legitimately knock Mayweather down. He troubled Mayweather with his speed early on, and Mayweather had a very concerned look unlike the other times when he smiles when guys do well against him.

4) Miguel cotto - Landed some solid jabs and body shots. Made Mayweather dig deep and stand his ground. Mayweather won easily but he acknowledged that it was one of his toughest professional fights.

5)Shane Mosley - Almost shut the lights out. That's about it. Worth a mention as it was close to over.

6) Demarcus Corley - Same thing as Mosley. In one instance he had mayweather close to the edge. Nothing more.

7) Ricky Hatton - Maybe Hatton should be higher but I just feel his offense was severely lacking that night. However, Hatton put tremendous pressure on Floyd and made him fight at the highest pace of his career. And who knows, If Cortez decided to say "fight and get free" instead of "break" it might have been as tough as the Castillio affair. Hatton was really determined that night and walked through perfectly placed right hands for 9 rounds.

Nice post.
Mind Reader is offline  Top
Old 03-05-2013, 11:29 AM   #4
sbbigmike
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by macalpinerules View Post

I sense the Mayweather hate in your post, absolutely no points is being made here

I Would love to see a thread like this on Pacquaio
sbbigmike is offline  Top
Old 03-05-2013, 11:39 AM   #5
macalpinerules
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbbigmike View Post
I sense the Mayweather hate in your post, absolutely no points is being made here

Actually this goes to show you how incredible mayweather has been throughout his career. Some of the fighters I mention had little more than a round of success against mayweather.
macalpinerules is offline  Top
Old 03-05-2013, 12:05 PM   #6
Smokin' Joe
~ Dinamita Irlandés ~
East Side Guru

vCash: 1276

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbbigmike View Post

I don't think there's any hate there at all.

It's a reasonable thing to examine where any small successes against Mayweather has come from and who might be able to exploit them in future. People talk about fighter's strenghts and weaknesses all the time.
Smokin' Joe is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum