Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 03-10-2013, 04:01 AM   #61
Rumsfeld
East Side VIP

vCash: 655
Default Re: Is Hopkins the greatest fighter in terms of longevity?

Quote:
Originally Posted by the cobra View Post
Yeah, Foreman managed something similar so it must not be all that impressive. I mean, if Foreman can do something like that, anybody can, right?
Rumsfeld is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 03-10-2013, 04:31 AM   #62
Smashgar
McMustache Nuthugger
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 356

Sure Cloud and Pascal aren't ATG material, but then neither were Rinaldi or Durelle. These are good, winning, ranked, relevant, beltholders that Hopkins is humiliating.
Smashgar is offline  Top
Old 03-10-2013, 04:37 AM   #63
MagnaNasakki
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smashgar View Post
Sure Cloud and Pascal aren't ATG material, but then neither were Rinaldi or Durelle. These are good, winning, ranked, relevant, beltholders that Hopkins is humiliating.
This is about my perspective. Archie's old man resume isn't really all that much better, and Hopkins is still winning as he approaches ancient athletic age. This is years past the age Moore started taking on journeymen and getting his ass kicked by a young Clay.
MagnaNasakki is offline  Top
Old 03-10-2013, 04:46 AM   #64
Rumsfeld
East Side VIP

vCash: 655

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnaNasakki View Post
This is about my perspective. Archie's old man resume isn't really all that much better, and Hopkins is still winning as he approaches ancient athletic age. This is years past the age Moore started taking on journeymen and getting his ass kicked by a young Clay.
What impresses me most about Hopkins is how is boxing IQ extends beyond what he can do inside the squared circle. His complete understanding of his own limitations, and the ability to dissect those of would-be foes is amazing, and he is great at selecting opponents where they can create a specific game plan, that oftentimes works for him without the need for reverting to a plan B or change in tactics.

It is an absolute marvel.
Rumsfeld is offline  Top
Old 03-10-2013, 05:29 AM   #65
lufcrazy
requiescat in pace
East Side VIP

vCash: 330

I'm in awe. Just watched it now and scored it 9-3.

Yeah cloud should have lost to campillo but lets not forget that Hopkins is 48 and was quite a big underdog.

Cloud was top 5 and a title holder. Hopkins deserves massive praise imo because he has made history again. If he can unify with cleverly that would be a huge achievement. He's never gonna beat Dawson, well atleast Dawson before the ward fight which could have damaged him a bit.

I mean we're talking about a man outlasting men a decade younger than him people who didnt enter their prime until after Hopkins was declared old.

I think the best thing that could happen for Hopkins is Pascal taking Dawson in a rematch and Hopkins taking cleverly then the two winners unifying.

Whatever happens though he is a living legend. An absolute fuking legend.
lufcrazy is offline  Top
Old 03-10-2013, 05:31 AM   #66
Boxed Ears
Smugly Savvy Feelings
East Side VIP

vCash: 26664

Quote:
Originally Posted by the cobra View Post
Take away Shannon's dreads and you've depleted him of any and all superpowers. That's the key. Most people don't know that, ya see? Cloud would never figure that out, he's screwed, but B-Hop would know because B-HOP KNOWS ALL!

So it is actually you who is the one who is doing the sucking of it! haha!

HaHaHaHAHAHA!
This isn't over!
Boxed Ears is offline  Top
Old 03-10-2013, 05:37 AM   #67
TBooze
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 765

Moore is #1 due to consistency; Duran deserves an honourable mention as he beat arguably a world ranked fighter in Marcel in 1970 and Castro in 1997. You then have Foreman's amazing comeback. But after yeah Hopkins is as good as it gets, surpassing anything Robinson achieved after their 40th Birthday.
TBooze is offline  Top
Old 03-10-2013, 05:42 AM   #68
MagnaNasakki
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Moore fought a ton of clubfighters at this age. Hopkins is just as consistent, at a higher level.

I honestly dont believe its a contest. After 44, Hopkins old man cv shits on Moore's.
MagnaNasakki is offline  Top
Old 03-10-2013, 06:10 AM   #69
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnaNasakki View Post
Thing is we take number of fights + age it levels itself out and I still find myself more impressed by Archie.
Flea Man is online now  Top
Old 03-10-2013, 06:14 AM   #70
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by lufcrazy View Post
Yeah cloud should have lost to campillo but lets not forget that Hopkins is 48 and was quite a big underdog.
Not with me he wasn't, and he shouldn't have been by anyone who has actually watched Cloud and Hop's last few fights.

Quote:
Cloud was top 5 and a title holder. Hopkins deserves massive praise imo because he has made history again.
If history is 'oldest top five contender' I agree. Title holder means absolutely nothing, zilch.

Quote:
If he can unify with cleverly that would be a huge achievement.
No, it really wouldn't, again Cleverly is made for Hopkins. Even at this age. Woeful time for the division.

Quote:
I think the best thing that could happen for Hopkins is Pascal taking Dawson in a rematch and Hopkins taking cleverly then the two winners unifying.
That would be some achievement.

Quote:
Whatever happens though he is a living legend. An absolute fuking legend.
Old 03-10-2013, 06:43 AM   #71
Smashgar
McMustache Nuthugger
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 356

We're now a couple years past the relative point where Moore was retired, period, and Hopkins is still embarrassing top guys in his division. For chrissakes, I watched this fight with my almost 20 year old brother who was still in the womb the first time Hopkins fought for a world title.

Last edited by Smashgar; 03-10-2013 at 07:01 AM.
Smashgar is offline  Top
Old 03-10-2013, 07:02 AM   #72
lufcrazy
requiescat in pace
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flea Man View Post
Not with me he wasn't, and he shouldn't have been by anyone who has actually watched Cloud and Hop's last few fights.

If history is 'oldest top five contender' I agree. Title holder means absolutely nothing, zilch.

No, it really wouldn't, again Cleverly is made for Hopkins. Even at this age. Woeful time for the division.

That would be some achievement.

I made money last night cos I bet on Hopkins. He was just better than 2's whereas cloud was odds on.

In the real world though, in the current landscape, titles are important. Is he the man of the division? No, but he's a quite clear number 2 now.

I actually would favour cleverly. Too much volume for a 48 year old. He's open but he has a decent beard.
lufcrazy is offline  Top
Old 03-10-2013, 07:36 AM   #73
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smashgar View Post
We're now a couple years past the relative point where Moore was retired, period, and Hopkins is still embarrassing top guys in his division. For chrissakes, I watched this fight with my almost 20 year old brother who was still in the womb the first time Hopkins fought for a world title.
But would Hopkins still be fighting at his age if he'd had over 200 fights by the age of 44?

Quote:
In the real world though, in the current landscape, titles are important.
No they're not. All they do is reaffirm the next bit.

Quote:
Is he the man of the division? No, but he's a quite clear number 2 now.
Yeah, and I've already said I rank this as a fantastic achievement.

Quote:
I actually would favour cleverly. Too much volume for a 48 year old. He's open but he has a decent beard.
I can see what you mean but I still think 'Nard has way too much nous for Clev. Cleverly isn't a very good scalp though, his recent level of competition and amount of fights isn't up to much, his best win is what, above average Murat (and maybe not even that) years ago and Bellew, which was extremely close. He is very youthful and enthusiastic so it'd be a solid win for Hopkins regardless.

I would rather see Hopkins beat Shumenov, if he's going after well-regarded but not actually very good titlists. That's all the options he has sadly, as I've said already it's a pretty barren time for the division.
Old 03-10-2013, 07:45 AM   #74
Lester1583
Can you hear this?
ESB Addict

Quote:
Cleverly Shumenov That's all the options he has sadly, as I've said already it's a pretty barren time for the division.
The Krusher is ready to destroy anyone in the division
Lester1583 is offline  Top
Old 03-10-2013, 07:56 AM   #75
lufcrazy
requiescat in pace
East Side VIP

Quote:
But would Hopkins still be fighting at his age if he'd had over 200 fights by the age of 44?

No they're not. All they do is reaffirm the next bit.

Yeah, and I've already said I rank this as a fantastic achievement.

I can see what you mean but I still think 'Nard has way too much nous for Clev. Cleverly isn't a very good scalp though, his recent level of competition and amount of fights isn't up to much, his best win is what, above average Murat (and maybe not even that) years ago and Bellew, which was extremely close. He is very youthful and enthusiastic so it'd be a solid win for Hopkins regardless.

I would rather see Hopkins beat Shumenov, if he's going after well-regarded but not actually very good titlists. That's all the options he has sadly, as I've said already it's a pretty barren time for the division.
But as long as fighters aspire to hold those belts their importance will remain.

I had cleverly - Bellew a draw if I remember rightly. I think him v Hopkins could be a good fight.

shumenov has stagnated lately, need to see him back in action sooner rather than later.

I actually agree about how weak the division is but there are fights out there. Dawson, Pascal, Kovalev, Cleverly, Bellew maybe even glen Johnson would pique my interest.

Still can't believe he's doing what he's doing at that age.
lufcrazy is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum