Hopkins by KO 0 0%
Hopkins on points 7 35.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-14-2013, 04:07 PM   #136
Waynegrade
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Bernard Hopkins vs Marvin Hagler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goyourownway View Post
At cutting the ring off? Absolutely.The Hearns fight, in many regards, was an absolute fluke.Hearns fought a ridiculously stupid fight and really made Hagler look a hell of a lot more convincing as a pressure fighter than he actually was.

I'm a huge Mah-vin Hagler fan, butt fakts are faxts.
You are hilarious !! Fluke ?? Do you have any idea how long Marvin and Goody worked on that using tall mbil sparring partners ?? And you call THAT a fluke ?? You may be a Hagler fan, but you are totally clueless when it comes to analyzing the Hearns fight. Hearns fought that way because Hagler MADE him,exactly the way he prepared to fight him. Hgaler swarmed and didn`t even use his jab, all power shots. Ben Tackie, that is THE most brilliant comment I have read on here in a long time ...
Waynegrade is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 03-14-2013, 06:49 PM   #137
Robbi
Marvelous
East Side Guru

Hagler worked on pressuring so that he could draw Hearns into a fight. It was his best chance of winning as trying to outbox Hearns wasn't going to happen. Thats more of a plus on Hearns' boxing ability rather than a minus on Hagler's, who was an excellent boxer himself at range.

It wasn't a sure thing that Hagler would win a war with Hearns considering the power Hearns possessed. However, Hagler's chin and general durability outdid that of Hearns.

It would perhaps have been classed as a fluke if Hearns totally outboxed and out punched Hagler without taking many punches in return during the 3 rounds, until Hagler KO'd him with a lucky barrage. That never happened.

It was a generally a 50/50 war with Hagler taking over down the stretch of the 3 rounds and proving too much in the end.
Robbi is offline  Top
Old 03-14-2013, 06:56 PM   #138
santiagoraga
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500

Hopkins is at his best versus low output guys with low ring IQ. This is antithesis of Hagler. Hagler by UD.
santiagoraga is offline  Top
Old 03-14-2013, 06:58 PM   #139
Jorodz
watching Gatti Ward 1...
East Side VIP

Location: Canada, eh? Roy Jones, Jack Daniels and Grandma's Boy
vCash: 1139
Red face Re: Bernard Hopkins vs Marvin Hagler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the cobra View Post
I wouldn't give him resume, which is a point that others have backed up since.

I think he absolutely needs the clear edge in resume to outrank Roy, and I don't think he has it. I'd say that they are close enough though, and that Hopkins is still good enough, that he could possibly end up with that clear edge. What would, say, a win over Froch at this stage do?
Maybe but froch is another limited time for brawler. it is the same argument that flea has used against mayweather. if Hopkins were to beat Dawson then I would be impressed. then he would be overcoming a clear stylistic and athletic disadvantage
Jorodz is offline  Top
Old 03-14-2013, 08:51 PM   #140
redrooster
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waynegrade View Post
You are hilarious !! Fluke ?? Do you have any idea how long Marvin and Goody worked on that using tall mbil sparring partners ?? And you call THAT a fluke ?? You may be a Hagler fan, but you are totally clueless when it comes to analyzing the Hearns fight. Hearns fought that way because Hagler MADE him,exactly the way he prepared to fight him. Hgaler swarmed and didn`t even use his jab, all power shots. Ben Tackie, that is THE most brilliant comment I have read on here in a long time ...
good point Wayne

btw, that boy aint no Hagler fan
redrooster is offline  Top
Old 03-14-2013, 08:53 PM   #141
Waynegrade
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbi View Post
Hagler worked on pressuring so that he could draw Hearns into a fight. It was his best chance of winning as trying to outbox Hearns wasn't going to happen. Thats more of a plus on Hearns' boxing ability rather than a minus on Hagler's, who was an excellent boxer himself at range.

It wasn't a sure thing that Hagler would win a war with Hearns considering the power Hearns possessed. However, Hagler's chin and general durability outdid that of Hearns.

It would perhaps have been classed as a fluke if Hearns totally outboxed and out punched Hagler without taking many punches in return during the 3 rounds, until Hagler KO'd him with a lucky barrage. That never happened.

It was a generally a 50/50 war with Hagler taking over down the stretch of the 3 rounds and proving too much in the end.
True ! Goody and Marving worked on their strategy utilizing Watts and the `Worm` to mimic Hearns style, with movement and sharp jabs. They knew that Hagler could drag Hearns into a war that he could not survive...Goody shared with me, `what, did they think we were gonna box him ? We knew we had to take it to him, walk him down and make him fight` ...
Old 03-14-2013, 08:54 PM   #142
Waynegrade
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Scary to think how great Hagler would have been if he could cut the ring off and learned to be a better pressure fighter than ring immortal, Ben Tackie !!
Old 03-14-2013, 08:56 PM   #143
Jorodz
watching Gatti Ward 1...
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waynegrade View Post
Scary to think how great Hagler would have been if he could cut the ring off and learned to be a better pressure fighter than ring immortal, Ben Tackie !!
ben tackie was outboxed by ricky hatton, imagine what ricky would have done to halger!
Jorodz is offline  Top
Old 03-15-2013, 04:26 AM   #144
elmaldito
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

Hopkins at any weight and if its a 15 rounder he may stop hagler
elmaldito is offline  Top
Old 03-15-2013, 07:37 AM   #145
Waynegrade
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorodz View Post
ben tackie was outboxed by ricky hatton, imagine what ricky would have done to halger!
Old 03-15-2013, 07:38 AM   #146
Waynegrade
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmaldito View Post
Hopkins at any weight and if its a 15 rounder he may stop hagler
Absolutely ! We all know about the fragility of Hagler`s chin. So of course Ex would stop him
Old 03-15-2013, 08:16 AM   #147
PowerPuncher
P4P King
East Side VIP

Comparing Hagler to Tackie is silly, on the front foot he dismantled Minter and Hearns amongst others. But I do think going forward he wasn't that adept at cutting off the ring. Leonard kept saying how Hagler yelled at him to fight like a man during their fight. Well if Hagler had cut off the ring he'd have found that allot easier.

It wasn't really something he needed as he could usually outbox or outslug opponents.
PowerPuncher is offline  Top
Old 03-15-2013, 08:18 AM   #148
Jorodz
watching Gatti Ward 1...
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerPuncher View Post
Comparing Hagler to Tackie is silly, on the front foot he dismantled Minter and Hearns amongst others. But I do think going forward he wasn't that adept at cutting off the ring. Leonard kept saying how Hagler yelled at him to fight like a man during their fight. Well if Hagler had cut off the ring he'd have found that allot easier.
he was terrible at it for the first 8 against leonard but really that was a much faded hagler and leonard still had great footwork.

i agree he could take out good/great fighters of the front and he wasn't THAT good at cutting off the ring but he could do it when he needed to
Jorodz is offline  Top
Old 03-15-2013, 11:28 AM   #149
WhataRock
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 166

I think he did it wonderfully to be honest...by Leonard he had a bum back and his feet had clearly slowed, I don't think it's fair to judge his ability on that fight..a lot people seem to.
WhataRock is offline  Top
Old 03-15-2013, 11:53 AM   #150
Waynegrade
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhataRock View Post
I think he did it wonderfully to be honest...by Leonard he had a bum back and his feet had clearly slowed, I don't think it's fair to judge his ability on that fight..a lot people seem to.
Good point. That was not prime Hagler. Not by a long shot ...

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum