Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 10-23-2009, 06:45 PM   #1
PetethePrince
Slick & Redheaded
East Side VIP

vCash: 1200
Default Larry Holmes Says The Toughest Matchup For Him Would've Been Marciano!

Podcast Interview with Brian Kenny

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Around 7:42

Who would've thought it.

Holmes, "Well, I'd say Marciano right now because he throws punches from anywhere, from anywhere, from any direction. And he was strong and he took punches. Only difference from now and then is they would've stopped the fight because he be cut, he be bleeding, you understand so they would've stopped the fight, so I'd be victorious. But because he's short and throws punches from left field, from right field, from center field, I mean he just throws and keep coming. He takes the licking and keeps coming."

This interview was from yesterday. Just to note, Holmes has previously said that he would've over-powered Marciano because he was too small but he seemed to give him huge respect by saying he would be his toughest fight out of all the legends past and present. He credits Wlad for his offensive and size, I guess but thinks he would whoop him. I guess he couldn't hold on to that size argument after talking about Wlad being 6'6 and 250 pounds or something.
PetethePrince is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 10-24-2009, 01:11 AM   #2
PetethePrince
Slick & Redheaded
East Side VIP

Default Re: Larry Holmes Says The Toughest Matchup For Him Would've Been Marciano!

This is so shocking my news has silenced all of you!
Old 10-24-2009, 01:14 AM   #3
The Kurgan
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 576
Default Re: Larry Holmes Says The Toughest Matchup For Him Would've Been Marciano!

There's something to be said for that. A pressure fighter with an excellent overhand right who can work inside and is hard to hit cleanly would be the boxer you'd design to beat Holmes.
The Kurgan is offline  Top
Old 10-24-2009, 01:19 AM   #4
My2Sense
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000

The irony of this is almost mind blowing.
My2Sense is offline  Top
Old 10-24-2009, 01:30 AM   #5
PetethePrince
Slick & Redheaded
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by My2Sense View Post
The irony of this is almost mind blowing.
Exactly lol. But it's 25 years later so it sort of speaks a little on Holmes re-evaluation of some fighters/things. His comments were really just reactionary to begin with.
Old 10-24-2009, 01:43 AM   #6
BENNY BLANCO
R.I.P. Brooklyn1550
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

I doubt that Holmes himself actually believes his own words. Were talking about a 6'4 220 pound man versus a 5'10 180 pound man.
BENNY BLANCO is offline  Top
Old 10-24-2009, 01:47 AM   #7
MRBILL
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

No biggie..... Talk is cheap............ Holmes is merely trying to score some points by being polite in public......... Holmes took a verbal beating for his 1985 remark about Marciano...... In a time machine, Holmes batters Marciano good for a late round TKO victory........ Afterward, Marciano goes to the hospital for stitches and a blood transfusion...... Word.....

MR.BILL
MRBILL is offline  Top
Old 10-24-2009, 01:50 AM   #8
The Kurgan
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENNY BLANCO View Post
I doubt that Holmes himself actually believes his own words. Were talking about a 6'4 220 pound man versus a 5'10 180 pound man.
True. It's like saying that Mike Tyson could beat Tony Thompson: utterly absurd.
Old 10-24-2009, 01:58 AM   #9
BENNY BLANCO
R.I.P. Brooklyn1550
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kurgan View Post
True. It's like saying that Mike Tyson could beat Tony Thompson: utterly absurd.
Please man that's apples and oranges, Tyson was 5'10 or 5'11 depending on who you ask but was a 220 pound heavyweight, the parallels are not the same.
BENNY BLANCO is offline  Top
Old 10-24-2009, 02:00 AM   #10
The Kurgan
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Please man that's apples and oranges, Tyson was 5'10 or 5'11 depending on who you ask but was a 220 pound heavyweight, the parallels are not the same.
He was ONLY 220 lbs, at BEST. Tony Thomspon can weigh up to 260 lbs if he tries hard enough. No 220 lb fighter is going to be competitive with a peak Tony The Tiger.
Old 10-24-2009, 02:07 AM   #11
KOTF
Bingooo
East Side Guru

vCash: 66874

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kurgan View Post
He was ONLY 220 lbs, at BEST. Tony Thomspon can weigh up to 260 lbs if he tries hard enough. No 220 lb fighter is going to be competitive with a peak Tony The Tiger.
Especially if Tony The Tiger had his Frosted Flakes... hell, they're GRRREAT
KOTF is offline  Top
Old 10-24-2009, 02:10 AM   #12
The Kurgan
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by KOTF View Post
Especially if Tony The Tiger had his Frosted Flakes... hell, they're GRRREAT
Frosties in this country.
Old 10-24-2009, 04:37 AM   #13
PetethePrince
Slick & Redheaded
East Side VIP

Quote:
More like a 6'3 1/2 209 pound man vs a 5'10 1/2 187 pound man. Holmes admits he got a bit too heavy when he was past 215. If 220 is your prime Larry then Marciano beats that version.
Old 10-24-2009, 04:38 AM   #14
PetethePrince
Slick & Redheaded
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRBILL View Post
No biggie..... Talk is cheap............ Holmes is merely trying to score some points by being polite in public......... Holmes took a verbal beating for his 1985 remark about Marciano...... In a time machine, Holmes batters Marciano good for a late round TKO victory........ Afterward, Marciano goes to the hospital for stitches and a blood transfusion...... Word.....

MR.BILL
Yes, he's trying to make good after lost time. Besides, Holmes has said otherwise previously but now it seems he reverted on his stance. I'm beginning to think he's had time to watch some of the older fighters more. On Ringside HW he just said "I don't know Joe Louis because he wasn't in my era." Now he's talking about how Rocky punches from all angles.
Old 10-24-2009, 04:55 AM   #15
sauhund II
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRBILL View Post

MR.BILL
Co sign , the level of absolute ignorance on this so called classic board is mind boggling when it comes to reality. On one end a crude but extremly proud and tough guy who build his entire reputation on beaten stone old washed up starving and broke beansticks who knew no other way to make a buck despite having left their expiration date several years earlier and then he needed to walz endless rounds with them before they succumbed and on the other end we h ave a true heavyweight with immense natural talent who as witnessed in the Cooney fight, when pride and ego is on the line against a white man he will pull out all the stops. The same guy who fought extremly competitive when he was a methusalem and even beat top contenders at that advanced age, that is god given talent combined with the right mind, fact not fiction.

Anyway, Holmes by bloody, I mean drenching bloody TKO.
sauhund II is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum