Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > European Boxing Forum

Old 09-21-2014, 08:36 AM   #1
latineg
user of dude wipes
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Artur Beterbiev

I think very highly of Beterbiev.

I think he has a great chance to be a potential world champ or at least compete for a world title.

However, holy ****, I am so unsure about how FAST he is rushing facing Tavoris Cloud.

Yes I love the fact that he is facing Cloud in only his 6th fight. Its mind blowing to me. Not because Cloud is invinsible, because he is so much more experienced in the pro game compared to Beterbiev.

My post is simply my uncertainty that this is simply a little too fast.

His first 5 opponents were not the best. Tavoris has lost to Hopkins and Stevenson, those being two of the best and top performers at LHW.

Personally I have confidence that Beterbiev would develop into a much better fighter in future than Tavoris, but in 6 fights only???

These eastern Europeans turning pro are going at a PACE that I have never before seen in pro boxing. Well Lomachenko and Beterbiev I mean specifically.

I cant ever recall AM fighters fighting such decent PROs in such few fights. Ever??

I find it quite incredible. Exciting but also potentially risky.

The funny thing is I am totally against guys going too slow always needing 20 or more fights before moving way up. But holy, this is the opposite of being way too slow.

So its not like I think Beterbiev should have 20 or more fights before he steps up in class. Its simply his first 5 opponents were not that great and now he has moved up all the way to a opponent that is just below the TOP TIER of the entire division. That is one hell of a jump. Ok fine, I hope it works out for Beterbiev and he proves me wrong because I like his style, his power, his ability, his potential and have had my eye on him since his AM days. However, I would be ****ed off if he got into a deep match and got pounded out in the late rounds and hurt really bad after going into deep water he simply wasn't as prepared for as he could of been if being walked up the ladder simply a bit slower.

I would feel different even if Beterbiev had faced 3. 4 or 5 much more accomplished professionals in his first 5 fights. However, I don't feel that is the case. His five opponents to date all have around 50/50 records or worse. Sure he has looked great to date but that was totally expected in my mind. His record shows in his pro fights he has not gone past 4 rounds? Cloud went 12 rounds with Hopkins

Maybe Beterbiev is the type of personality that could take a loss to Cloud over 12 rounds because of a pacing problem and too much stressed anxiety being in the big lights of the pros for the first time and have that benefit him as a learning experience that helps him just like so many of the boxers from the old days that had early losses on their records and used these losses to get better rather than more discouraged? The days when a PERFECT record was not such a selling point. So maybe I am being a mother hen that is simply focused on the RISK of such a jump up in level

I hope so.

Kovalev to me has been given a much better pro schooling that is conducive to success. He fought some third to second tier pros with decent records and performed great before he kept on moving up and now is in my mind ready for Hopkins at least on paper.

Lomenchenko, got into deep water with his second fight loosing via a tough fought split decision and then rebounded immediately in his next fight against a unbeaten pro fighter. Personally I am still blown away that he performed as well as he did in 3 pro fights only, lol. Its incredible. Pacing ones self in sparring is not the same as learning to pace oneself in a real fight over 12 rounds. Without his incredible talent that could of back fired big time.

Anyways, what does ESB think?

Is it too rushed? Am I being over cautious simply not wanting to risk damaging a good fighters future by rushing him?

Either way, I am dying to see this fight and will be rooting for Beterbiev
latineg is offline  Top
Old 09-21-2014, 02:15 PM   #2
chitownfightfan
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 508
Default Re: Artur Beterbiev

Cloud has shown ZERO ability to adapt to different styles.

Hindsights 20/20, but he couldve handled Stevenson b/c Superbiitches chin is paper mache, but Cloud couldnt adapt to attack. Instead he looked to survive and didnt.
Beterbiev is however an entirely different animal. His chin is sound, and his skills are better than Stevensons. He would mow Stevenson down in 3-5 rds.

I think Beterbeiv should pace himself vs Cloud and he'll be fine. Cloud, as I said, can not beat a boxer without assistance from corrupt judges.

My guess is that Beterbiev will UD him wide....117-112/118-110/117-111 type decision or perhaps earn a late RTD.

Getting that W will elevate Beterbiev to the top 10, and you can expect he'll be getting Dawson or Bute or at the very least, Grachev or Fonfara in his 8th fight. And with those wins, he'll get his title shot.

The only ppl beating him might be Kovalev or Lefty Sanchez. Possibly Bute if his mind is right. But, I think the book is likely closed on Bute.....we'll know more in December.
chitownfightfan is offline  Top
Old 09-21-2014, 04:40 PM   #3
latineg
user of dude wipes
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitownfightfan View Post

Hindsights 20/20, but he couldve handled Stevenson b/c Superbiitches chin is paper mache, but Cloud couldnt adapt to attack. Instead he looked to survive and didnt.
Beterbiev is however an entirely different animal. His chin is sound, and his skills are better than Stevensons. He would mow Stevenson down in 3-5 rds.

I think Beterbeiv should pace himself vs Cloud and he'll be fine. Cloud, as I said, can not beat a boxer without assistance from corrupt judges.

My guess is that Beterbiev will UD him wide....117-112/118-110/117-111 type decision or perhaps earn a late RTD.

Getting that W will elevate Beterbiev to the top 10, and you can expect he'll be getting Dawson or Bute or at the very least, Grachev or Fonfara in his 8th fight. And with those wins, he'll get his title shot.

The only ppl beating him might be Kovalev or Lefty Sanchez. Possibly Bute if his mind is right. But, I think the book is likely closed on Bute.....we'll know more in December.
I like your confidence and don't disagree with it,,,

thanks
latineg is offline  Top
Sponsored Links

Old 09-21-2014, 05:13 PM   #4
Dos Huevos
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

This is nuts, especially considering it is a 12 round fight. Cloud is durable and will be their every step of the way and has fought 12 rounds several times. The only reason he quit against Stevenson after 7 was due to an eye injury. Beterbiev is going to have to fight at a very measured pace and simply take what Cloud gives him early and hope it does not all fall apart late.
Dos Huevos is offline  Top
Old 09-25-2014, 07:23 PM   #5
jonze86
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1154

Beterbiev,Lomachenko,Rigondeaux etc.. all were fantastic boxers in the amateurs.

some countries boxers turn pro late,or maybe never.yes pro boxing is little bit different,but we have to remember these athletes have boxed their whole life.

Beterbiev is so more skilled than Cloud it's almost funny.Beterbiev have not fought 12rounds before.atleast officially

why we are kidding ourselfs?

Beterbiev,Lomachenko,Rigondeaux have probably more experience in boxing than most these so called contenders.

If boxer have won everything in amateurs and is almost unbeatable there,why he should fight 15-20 fights against journeymans?it's usually meant for young prospects to build confidence and hone their skills.

i believe Beterbiev don't need any confidence boost,and probably has more boxing knowledge and experience in the ring,say someone like Canelo?

pro game is different yes,and sometimes it goes wrong.

i think it's great that these proven amateur boxers go high in pros right away.and Beterbiev is already 29.go the normal route and he would be maybe past his prime when he reach the top.

Beterbiev either KO'S Cloud,or takes wide UD.
jonze86 is offline  Top
Old 09-25-2014, 11:41 PM   #6
freedom2013
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 252

Beterbiev promo video (highlights):

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
freedom2013 is offline  Top
Old 09-26-2014, 02:31 PM   #7
Ivo
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1151

It is early in my opinion considering the level of his previous opponents. Right in the lions den.
Ivo is offline  Top
Old 09-26-2014, 04:20 PM   #8
Vysotskyy
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

Apparently Quebec has a rule that your first 4 fights have to be 4 rounds and i imagine it would be difficult to secure a decent opponent for a 4 rounder. He took those just to get them out of the way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitownfightfan View Post

He's a stationary puncher and can't deal with lateral movement if you keep turning him Cloud can't get his feet set to get his punches off, similar to someone like Brandon Rios. The fact that he came up against three guys who all excel in that area (Campillo, Hopkins, Stevenson) was just really bad fortune along with poor matchmaking by his people. Folks who think he's shot are way off base if you stand in front of him the way Beterbiev will Tavoris is a handful.

Beating him at his own game would be an impressive feat for any LHW let alone one with 5 fights but aside from endurance being a variable i do think Artur is stronger, more skilled and harder hitting when it comes to that.

Cloud is Stevenson's best win, think about that. You could say Dawson but considering the weight cutting and durability issues which clearly arose from it i think it's definitely Cloud and if Artur pulls this off that's impressive as hell. If he actually drops or stops Cloud from legitimately hurting him that will be a scary statement.
Vysotskyy is offline  Top
Old 09-27-2014, 03:33 PM   #9
latineg
user of dude wipes
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vysotskyy View Post
Apparently Quebec has a rule that your first 4 fights have to be 4 rounds and i imagine it would be difficult to secure a decent opponent for a 4 rounder. He took those just to get them out of the way.

He's a stationary puncher and can't deal with lateral movement if you keep turning him Cloud can't get his feet set to get his punches off, similar to someone like Brandon Rios. The fact that he came up against three guys who all excel in that area (Campillo, Hopkins, Stevenson) was just really bad fortune along with poor matchmaking by his people. Folks who think he's shot are way off base if you stand in front of him the way Beterbiev will Tavoris is a handful.

Beating him at his own game would be an impressive feat for any LHW let alone one with 5 fights but aside from endurance being a variable i do think Artur is stronger, more skilled and harder hitting when it comes to that.

Cloud is Stevenson's best win, think about that. You could say Dawson but considering the weight cutting and durability issues which clearly arose from it i think it's definitely Cloud and if Artur pulls this off that's impressive as hell. If he actually drops or stops Cloud from legitimately hurting him that will be a scary statement.
Well said and good point about the 4 rounders being mandatory.

It will be a very interesting fight at this stage of Beterbiev's career.
latineg is offline  Top
Old 09-27-2014, 11:26 PM   #10
latineg
user of dude wipes
ESB Addict

Just watched the fight on youtube.

Well Beterbiev looked good.

He looked quick, compact and powerful.

I like this guys fighting style along with his ability.
latineg is offline  Top
Old 09-28-2014, 01:57 AM   #11
BoxingNL
Dutch P4P Champion
ESB Addict

vCash: 2259

Quote:
Originally Posted by latineg View Post

Cloud was really no match for him. I thought Beterbiev would win, but I didn't expect he would destroy him like that. Very impressive and a new contender in the LHW has been found.
BoxingNL is offline  Top
Old 09-28-2014, 07:02 AM   #12
Mendoza
Dominating a decade
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by latineg View Post

A very talented guy. I think Beterbiev is more durable than Kovalev. A match between the two 2 years from now would be huge.
Mendoza is offline  Top
Old 09-28-2014, 08:46 AM   #13
latineg
user of dude wipes
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mendoza View Post
A very talented guy. I think Beterbiev is more durable than Kovalev. A match between the two 2 years from now would be huge.
Yes indeed.

Two of the most exciting boxers currently.
latineg is offline  Top
Old 09-28-2014, 10:16 AM   #14
jauseptt
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 500

is beterbiev Chechen or dagastani?
jauseptt is offline  Top
Old 09-29-2014, 01:50 PM   #15
Ivo
Belt holder