Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > European Boxing Forum

Old 08-04-2014, 09:23 PM   #1
IntentionalButt
Nash Equilibrium Debunker
East Side VIP

vCash: 35250
Default Alexander Bakhtin

What happened there?

He last fought seventeen months ago. I looked into what his deal was, to see if maybe he was being shelved with managerial issues or whatnot - and discover that he officially retired a month after his last bout, a non-title stay-busy date at featherweight while he was still the reigning IBO super bantamweight champion. He beat Colombian-American trial horse Yogli Herrera by TKO4 - and then just rode off into the sunset.

Why?

He was a pretty good boxer, though his resume was very thin and highlighted by a competitive but clear UD over Venezuela's trickiest customer and longtime fringe contender (and current interim WBA 122lb titlist) Nehomar Cermeņo for a minor WBA international belt. That step up itself only came a dozen years into Sasha's very odd pro campaign, most of which he spent in Japan with reigns as both the "Japanese" and "Oriental and Pacific" bantamweight champion.

Why didn't Hrunov ever have enough faith in Bakhtin to put him in with any real tests or attempt to go for any hardware beyond regional level (with all due respect, the IBO hardly counts as being a real world title org) or even to get him ranked to contend by squaring off with actual contenders, besides Cermeņo?

Hell, they let him co-main event with Denis Lebedev thrice, and in his penultimate bout he split the bill with Eduard Troyanovsky (Bakhtin was a much better p4p boxer than Troya) so he was obviously popular...and he was 124-4 with a startlingly high eighty kayos in the amateurs with frequent international competition, so his skill base was legitimate. From the way his career was handled - that is, as delicately as possible, like he were a sickly newborn - you would think he was harboring a glass chin or something, but I honestly never got that impression watching him fight the C+ level fighters against whom Bakhtin was allowed to show his prowess. Usually there are warning signs if that is the case, and even a journeyman will occasionally produce a wobble in someone hiding a truly horrendous jaw. I never saw that with Bakhtin, though he never did face any honest to goodness punchers.

Did he quit in frustration over not being allowed to mix in higher company? Did he just not want to?

I don't see the point in making it as far as he did and not being curious about taking it further and testing yourself by throwing your hat in the ring with, at the very least, the best at Euro level, if not shooting for world.
IntentionalButt is online now  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 08-04-2014, 09:53 PM   #2
marciano1952
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Alexander Bakhtin

i think i recall he retired after he was not able to remember Anything from his last fight when it was over...
marciano1952 is offline  Top
Old 08-04-2014, 10:14 PM   #3
IntentionalButt
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by marciano1952 View Post
i think i recall he retired after he was not able to remember Anything from his last fight when it was over...
Yikes. Well that would be a good reason.

Still doesn't explain why he was so protected. He was good enough to probably have won at least a couple of full levels above where he plateaued.
Old 08-05-2014, 03:20 AM   #4
plank46
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500

more boxers should follow his example.. we have enough walking vegetables already.
plank46 is offline  Top
Old 08-05-2014, 08:59 PM   #5
Vysotskyy
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Ya he retired right after that fight because of some neurological concerns. I don't think it was anything too serious but he stopped fighting as a preventative measure so it didn't turn into anything that could affect his quality of life. Unfortunate for his career but also good to see on a personal level.
Vysotskyy is offline  Top
Old 08-05-2014, 09:21 PM   #6
IntentionalButt
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by plank46 View Post
more boxers should follow his example.. we have enough walking vegetables already.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vysotskyy View Post
Ya he retired right after that fight because of some neurological concerns. I don't think it was anything too serious but he stopped fighting as a preventative measure so it didn't turn into anything that could affect his quality of life. Unfortunate for his career but also good to see on a personal level.
Agreed, best not to see anybody needlessly damage their long term health.

His lack of challenges before then is just frustrating, because he was pretty good and could have probably handled quite a bit more than what they gave him.
Old 08-05-2014, 09:28 PM   #7
UnleashtheFURY
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 118

Another in a long line of Eastern European fighters that seemingly vanished into thin air in their fight prime... Frenkel is another one.
UnleashtheFURY is offline  Top
Old 08-05-2014, 09:30 PM   #8
IntentionalButt
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnleashtheFURY View Post
Another in a long line of Eastern European fighters that seemingly vanished into thin air in their fight prime... Frenkel is another one.
Frenkel was at least beginning to face serious opposition when he cut out, though.

Bahktin topped out in 2012 with Cermeno and Gasca. Not a bad year, but it feels like he largely underachieved and sold his talents short.
Old 08-06-2014, 12:48 AM   #9
Vysotskyy
Contender
ESB Senior Member

There's a poster on here RonnieHorschuh IIRC from Germany or Austria who spent some time in the gyms and/or knows people from the boxing scene over there and he said Frenkel became a Jehovah's Witness.

I also remember the talk of him and Huck hating eachother and going to war in sparring with Frenkel knocking him out on two different occassions and Wegner forbidding them from ever sparring again. Definitely would have liked to see him continue his career he appeared to have freakishly heavy hands him against Lebedev, Wlod, Huck, YPH would have been great. His KO of Macca was as savage as it gets for a few seconds i honestly wondered if he broke his neck and killed him, his head spun around like the exorcist.
Vysotskyy is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > European Boxing Forum