Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2008, 03:33 AM   #1
Benjiabc
The Nottingham Hitman
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Nottingham England!
Posts: 2,056
vCash: 1000
Default jennings and minter what a thriller!

did people watch this? was much more exciting than the khan fight. minter has gone up in my books he has the heart of a lion and is learning all the time. he thought a very good technical boxer in micheal jennings and pushed him nearly all the way. and on a few occasions looked to be gaining the upper hand in the fight. i had Minter down by two rounds at the time of the stoppage. but Minter suprised me and is better then i thought. he doesnt have the greatest power thats his only flaw. anyone else enjoy the fight?
Benjiabc is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-04-2008, 01:49 PM   #2
jc
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 6,502
vCash: 419
Default Re: jennings and minter what a thriller!

Good match. Though I think this fight showed more Jennings limitations than the vast skill of minter, who is tough, rugged but rough round the edges and had a very shaky chin. Jennings concentration wasnt spot on though and that cost him, against btter oposition he could well have lost. Great match though.
jc is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 02:40 AM   #3
joekirkbycobra
King Of The Ring
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: liverpool (kirkby)
Posts: 1,985
vCash: 1000
Default Re: jennings and minter what a thriller!

the fight was made in an attempt to make jennings lk gd
joekirkbycobra is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 02:57 AM   #4
Dunky McCafferty
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 5,038
vCash: 1000
Default Re: jennings and minter what a thriller!

I watched it & loved the fight, if Jennings had went down, it would be described as a domestic classic.

Jennings is suffering from Kevin Anderson syndrome, his handlers have him fighting at the same level for too long, & after a while they go stale & start struggling with fighters they would have beat out of sight a year or two beforehand.

Its a bstrd, but many fighters on these shores are badly handled, spending too long jousting with domestic opposition, & it doesnt do their careers any good in the long term. Both Jennings & Kevin Anderson should have been moved onto bigger & better things by now, but they hvent, & their careers are suffering for it.
Dunky McCafferty is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 03:58 AM   #5
hook
Journeyman
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 65
vCash: 1000
Default Re: jennings and minter what a thriller!

Alright Dunky, talking about how Kev has been handled - what is your opinion on Gilmour, mate?
hook is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 08:10 AM   #6
jc
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 6,502
vCash: 419
Default Re: jennings and minter what a thriller!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunky McCafferty
I watched it & loved the fight, if Jennings had went down, it would be described as a domestic classic.

Jennings is suffering from Kevin Anderson syndrome, his handlers have him fighting at the same level for too long, & after a while they go stale & start struggling with fighters they would have beat out of sight a year or two beforehand.

Its a bstrd, but many fighters on these shores are badly handled, spending too long jousting with domestic opposition, & it doesnt do their careers any good in the long term. Both Jennings & Kevin Anderson should have been moved onto bigger & better things by now, but they hvent, & their careers are suffering for it.
Although I do agree that with some home talent we see potential world class talents facing off against below par oponents defending domestice talents, I think Junor Witter, Howard Eastman and maybe even Clinton Woods are good examples of this. however I dont think Jennings and Anderson fit this bill, i think they have probably reached their level, anything more than an EBU shot would be very optimistic for either.
jc is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 11:44 AM   #7
RichDam
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 404
vCash: 1000
Default Re: jennings and minter what a thriller!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunky McCafferty
I watched it & loved the fight, if Jennings had went down, it would be described as a domestic classic.

Jennings is suffering from Kevin Anderson syndrome, his handlers have him fighting at the same level for too long, & after a while they go stale & start struggling with fighters they would have beat out of sight a year or two beforehand.

Its a bstrd, but many fighters on these shores are badly handled, spending too long jousting with domestic opposition, & it doesnt do their careers any good in the long term. Both Jennings & Kevin Anderson should have been moved onto bigger & better things by now, but they hvent, & their careers are suffering for it.
Both fighters appear to have gone a bit stale as their promoters appear determined to use them to milk the domesic scene for as long as possible. Jennings shold never have lost to Mutley and Anderson should not have lost to McIntyre.
RichDam is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 01:27 AM   #8
Dunky McCafferty
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 5,038
vCash: 1000
Default Re: jennings and minter what a thriller!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hook
Alright Dunky, talking about how Kev has been handled - what is your opinion on Gilmour, mate?
Well Hook my good man, sometimes he annoys me, his handling of Appleby has been pretty shocking IMO. All that furore about sponsors, Tommy is a rich man & should have helped Paul out himself IMO. He shouldnt have had our top prospect(apart from McEwan) pleading poverty in the newspapers. He shouldnt have let it go that far.

However, I like him better than Alex Morrison. Sorry for not going into more detail, but Im trying to be more tactful nowadays! Lets just say I dont hate him, but I think he could do better. For instance, its cheaper to gain entry to the Olusegun-Wright fight than it is for the Anderson-Mcintyre rematch. & considering both bills are a joint Hearns-Gilmour promotion, I dont think its right to charge the scots more for show.

Why do you ask anyway if you dont mind me asking?
Dunky McCafferty is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 07:02 AM   #9
hook
Journeyman
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 65
vCash: 1000
Default Re: jennings and minter what a thriller!

I've heard mixed stories about him, don't what to make of it all really.

Obviously he has his reputation as a right tight-fisted bastard. I also have the impression of him as happy to live off the Pat Clinton World title fight for ever more. He seems to do well in progressing boxers careers to a certain point before some clumsy match-making comes into play.

I'll always maintain that Anderson beat Numbembe but thats in the past now. Gilmour does well imo to secure a bout against Magee which Kev wins pretty comfortably but to then take on Jones and McIntyre?? All respect to those guys but surely thats moving a career in the wrong ****ing direction? I don't know if it was just a crap attempt at having 3 quick successful defenses in order to keep the Lonsdale belt outright or what but its seriously back-fired.

There was talk of Kev getting a shot at Bonsu (EBU champ) think it was after the Magee fight, fair enough he would probably have lost but to then take Jones and McIntyre instead is just bizarre. The only other thing I can see is that it was probably the cheaper option.

Obviously there are other things as well. The Appleby debacle as you quite rightly mention and costing Anderson home advantage for the Muttley fight which could have been disastrous.

It'll be interesting what his next move for Kev will be after this re-match, will it be any different should he win or lose?

I know, I'm not really making a point and all this is just my opinion but **** it, it seems he'd skin a ****ing orange in his pocket.
hook is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 02:05 AM   #10
Dunky McCafferty
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 5,038
vCash: 1000
Default Re: jennings and minter what a thriller!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hook
I've heard mixed stories about him, don't what to make of it all really.

Obviously he has his reputation as a right tight-fisted bastard. I also have the impression of him as happy to live off the Pat Clinton World title fight for ever more. He seems to do well in progressing boxers careers to a certain point before some clumsy match-making comes into play.

I'll always maintain that Anderson beat Numbembe but thats in the past now. Gilmour does well imo to secure a bout against Magee which Kev wins pretty comfortably but to then take on Jones and McIntyre?? All respect to those guys but surely thats moving a career in the wrong ****ing direction? I don't know if it was just a crap attempt at having 3 quick successful defenses in order to keep the Lonsdale belt outright or what but its seriously back-fired.

There was talk of Kev getting a shot at Bonsu (EBU champ) think it was after the Magee fight, fair enough he would probably have lost but to then take Jones and McIntyre instead is just bizarre. The only other thing I can see is that it was probably the cheaper option.

Obviously there are other things as well. The Appleby debacle as you quite rightly mention and costing Anderson home advantage for the Muttley fight which could have been disastrous.

It'll be interesting what his next move for Kev will be after this re-match, will it be any different should he win or lose?

I know, I'm not really making a point and all this is just my opinion but **** it, it seems he'd skin a ****ing orange in his pocket.
Great post hook. & I mean that. GREAT post. I agree with everything you say & more, every point is spot-on. I couldnt believe you said at the end of your post you didnt really make a point, cos I would have been proud of that post myself!

& now that Appleby has been pulled from the Kelvin Hall bill altogether after the irish prospect pulled out, Im worried about whats going to happen with him too me & my pal were discussing it today, If Appleby beat the hot irish prospect(I cnt remember his name at the moment) it would have been a defining fight for Paul. But now, with Tommy in charge, is Pauls career going to suffer?
Anyway, back onto wee ando, a fighter who as you probably know I nuthug!
As you say, after he disposed of Magee, it should have been bigger fight time. he got the name of a well known fighter on his record, after most fighters do that then their handlers usually use that propel them onto bigger & better things. But as you say, it was more tough domestic fights, aginst firstly Jones, & then onto an improving McIntrye who had just come off a great win beforehand. Shocking matchmaking when you consider Ando had just beaten a respected big name fighter recently.

& if Ando wins the rematch? I would bet more defences of his british title against hungry opponents from his own shores, & no step up. & that breaks my heart, to see Ando not being pushed forward. Look at Jamie Moore, that guy has had some good wins, but because his team had him fighting at the same level for so long his career has never reached the heights it should have. Its hapening with Jennings also, the proof is all over the place that keeping a fighter fighting at domestic level for too long is ruinous to a career.
Dunky McCafferty is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 06:56 PM   #11
boxgirl
Journeyman
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 69
vCash: 1000
Default Re: jennings and minter what a thriller!

Are you sure appleby has been pulled form the fight altogether ??? is he not on the bill at all ?? thats pretty shady if that is the truth the kid is good at what he does and by the sounds of it he could do with the money , If he is to progress to his full potential. Why is his manager not helping him out wi a sponsor i am sure gilmour is sponsored by arthur mckay he could put a ood word in with a sponsor if he really wanted to , dont think he wants to or he would have already done it , he should be developing this kids talent .
boxgirl is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 10:01 PM   #12
Dunky McCafferty
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 5,038
vCash: 1000
Default Re: jennings and minter what a thriller!

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxgirl
Are you sure appleby has been pulled form the fight altogether ???
Yup, hes off the bill.
The good news is though that Appleby found a sponsor, but only after Gilmour pleaded in the newspapers for someone to come to the rescue. Shocking stuff from a guy as minted as Tommy.
Dunky McCafferty is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 10:16 PM   #13
Loggo
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Britain
Posts: 1,440
vCash: 1000
Default Re: jennings and minter what a thriller!

That`s another fight i missed aswell as Khans fight.I`m glad to learn Micheal Jennings won.
Loggo is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 09:30 AM   #14
boxgirl
Journeyman
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 69
vCash: 1000
Default Re: jennings and minter what a thriller!

he hasnt got a sponsor , lonsdale have sponsored him for his kit he got that for himself as far as i know lonsdale approached him nout to do wi gilmour i think , but last i heard was that the kid has no money sponsor so back to pleadin in the papers , i really hope he gets a sponsor soon he is a great up and coming prospect it would be ashame for him not to succeed .
boxgirl is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 03:50 AM   #15
hook
Journeyman
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 65
vCash: 1000
Default Re: jennings and minter what a thriller!

Hello again all!

I never realised Appleby had been completely pulled from the card, bad news indeed. Obviously hope he can get back in the ring soon enough but the manner in which Tightwad utilises his stable that could be long enough yet.

Great point about Jamie Moore, Dunky! I somehow totally overlooked the parallels there!

OT: I work for DC Thomsons, maybe I could arrange for Appleby to be sponsored by one of our characters? Paw Broon anyone?
hook is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:08 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013