Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 02-15-2008, 04:36 AM   #16
ripcity
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Location: "Somebody may beat me, but they are going to have to bleed to do it."
vCash: 651
Default Re: Which of these fighters, if any, do you make Hollyfield favourite over?

Marciano at heaveyweight but not at curisurweight.
ripcity is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 02-15-2008, 07:16 AM   #17
Musashi
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Which of these fighters, if any, do you make Hollyfield favourite over?

Ali - Ali (Holy hated fighting guys who moved well)
Louis - Holy
Liston - Holy (very close fight)
Lewis - Lewis (also very close)
Frazier - Holy (great fight, though)
Holmes - Holmes
Tyson - Holy
Marciano - Holy (similar to Frazier)
Dempsey - Holy (see Joe and Rocky)
Foreman - Foreman
Musashi is offline  Top
Old 02-15-2008, 07:19 AM   #18
Holmes' Jab
Master Jabber
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musashi
Louis - Holy
Liston - Holy (very close fight)
Frazier - Holy (great fight, though)

I'd be curious and interested to here your reasoning and thoughts behind making these picks?

Thanks.
Holmes' Jab is offline  Top
Old 02-15-2008, 02:08 PM   #19
C. M. Clay II
Manassah's finest!
ESB Senior Member

The only ones I would give him a chance to beat are Marciano and Lewis. He loses to the rest.
C. M. Clay II is offline  Top
Old 02-15-2008, 02:11 PM   #20
Sweet Pea
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

I think it's safe to say people underrate a prime Holyfield.
Sweet Pea is offline  Top
Old 02-15-2008, 02:13 PM   #21
Dempsey1238
Champion
East Side Guru

I think he is getting over rated when People say only Ali could beat Holyfiled.

I mean I cant see Evander beating Marciano, Louis, Dempsey, or even Holmes.
Dempsey1238 is offline  Top
Old 02-15-2008, 02:17 PM   #22
janitor
P4P King
East Side VIP

I would not favour him over any of them with the possible exception of Mike Tyson and the the only reason I consider that up for grabs is because of the way their actual fights turned out.
janitor is online now  Top
Old 02-15-2008, 02:33 PM   #23
Holmes' Jab
Master Jabber
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by C. M. Clay II
The only ones I would give him a chance to beat are Marciano and Lewis. He loses to the rest.
I agree with Sweet Pea here, even though he tended to be inconsistent throughout his career Holyfield get's a raw deal when discussing head-to-head matchups. I think he'd beat a few more from the list (or at least stands a good chance of doing so) than some people think. I picked him over Marciano, Dempsey and Tyson (more often than not) with a few close calls too.

Lewis though? Personally I struggle to envisage Holyfield beating Lewis at any stage in his career (the trade-happy version of the early 90's would get himself KO'd). I'm intrigued to hear your reasoning and analysis on why you think Evander could pull this one off? (taking into consideration that a 'still very game' Holyfield got convincing outpointed by Lewis twice in reality).

To be fair I reckon that if you took the better assets of the 'higher workrate' version of Holyfield and combine that with the more stragically astute mature version who beat Tyson then he might give Lewis a very close fight, perhaps beat him. You can never tell I suppose. As it was Holyfield was never quite the complete fighter, stylistially speaking at any point to beat Lewis IMO.
Holmes' Jab is offline  Top
Old 02-15-2008, 02:36 PM   #24
Sonny's jab

vCash:

I'd say Holyfield is underrated.
But that's the story of his career.
Guys who watch fights, write and talk shit were always saying he couldn't beat this guy and that guy. Many picked Douglas to beat him, and then said Tyson was gonna slaughter him, no one gave him much credit for KOing Douglas with one punch. Bowe was supposed to knock him into retirement in their rematch. Tyson was supposed to literally KILL him in 1996, and again Tyson was supposed to knock him out in the rematch.
Even recently Fres Oquendo was picked to KO him late or embarrass him.

Holyfield lost a few he was supposed to win, and won a few he was supposed to lose.
But overall he was a proven fighter with a ton of character.
Listening to some of you say "they all beat him, except maybe ...", I'm thinking I wouldn't want to bet against him or make him underdog in any fight. But of course people did, and then just made excuses when he won.
Old 02-15-2008, 06:56 PM   #25
Robbi
Marvelous
East Side Guru

Freddie Roach rates Holfyield #3 heavyweight of all time. I'd say it's fair to say he's at the bottom half of the top 10 at best, probably just outside it.

He'd always have beaten Tyson IMO. A prime Tyson doesn't bring anymore power to the table, just better offense, and defense as well it must be said. But Holyfield was past his prime when he fought Tyson over both fights, and people tend to forget that. He was still damn excellent, possesed good skills, but never quite had the same mobility and quickness. It's a debatable topic when exactly Holyfield was at his peak. I'd say the early 90's.
Robbi is offline  Top
Old 02-15-2008, 06:59 PM   #26
Robbi
Marvelous
East Side Guru

Holyfield has a fine resume.

Douglas, Bowe, Moorer, and Tyson. Foreman and Holmes were fine wins, although both had seen better years. He was out-weighed considerably by both oldies, especially Foreman.
Robbi is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum