Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum

Old 02-14-2008, 09:06 AM   #1
Donut62
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000
Default Goodbye, Sweet Igor

Quote:
February,8, Kharkiv, Ukraine. The finals of the Chest Voina (Warrior's Honor) Tournament.

Bogdan Khmelnitskiy had an opportunity to catch up with legendary Ukrainian fighter Igor Vovchanchyn. Bogdan asked Igor some pretty interesting questions. Unfortunately the interview is not exhaustive but nevertheless:

Bogdan Khmelnitskiy: Tell me about your schooldays. Did you fight a lot back in the days? When did you start training?

Igor Vovchanchyn: I studied well. Fought a lot, I had beaten everybody back then. Basically, I was a bully (smiles). At school I used to train in athletics. I had trained there for 5 years and I ran faster than anybody. Later on I was invited to box, I used to train there under Oleg Ermakov. Only then someone approached me asking to go train in kickboxing. They looked for a guy of my size so I agreed.

Bogdan Khmelnitskiy: At "Warrior's Honor" long time ago you got caught with a submission by Andrey Besedin but soon enough during the World Championship in Moscow in 1995 you impressed everyone with a good submission defense. Tell us about your training regimen. How much did your training differ when you just started training from the moment you took part in Pride events?

Igor Vovchanchyn: Well, I came to wrestle with Subbotin straight away after that loss. I spent 1,5 - 2 hours on wrestling. That's how I learned it. Of course, the training was different. I payed more attention to other disciplines beside striking. I trained twice a day: striking technique and running in te morning, wrestling and striking in the evening.

Bogdan Khmelnitskiy: What do you do for living now? If you are asked to return back in action, will you agree?

Igor Vovchanchyn: I'm a businessman now. I won't come back. Sure I think about it every once in a while, but I'm 35, you know. The main problem is the injuries. I can't even strike with my right hand. I got three screws in my right elbow and one in the left. I'm about to undergo an operation on my nose as I can't breathe right. To sum things up, there is no sense in my comeback.

Bogdan Khmelnitskiy: Any comments on the demise of Pride?

Igor Vovchanchyn: (Confused) Well, it's bad. Americans trampled down pretty much everything there, and they pay too little. Monopoly is not good in this case. It would be for the best if Pride stayed alive.

Well, I guess it's pretty much official. No more Igor. So many good memories from that angry little dump truck. Who can forget using Paul Varlens as a punching bag, stomping Edson Carvalho's soul out, making Gary Goodridge do the Zab Judah remix, or beating Enson Inoue to the point doctor's were ready to declare him terminally brain damaged.

Last edited by djm; 02-13-2007 at 03:43 PM.
Donut62 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 02-14-2008, 09:21 AM   #2
Dostoevsky
Hardcore......to the max!
ESB Addict

Default Re: Goodbye, Sweet Igor

"Sweet Igor"?

.....Okaaayyy.
Dostoevsky is offline  Top
Old 02-14-2008, 09:23 AM   #3
demzor
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1363

I loved Igor.
I remember at Prides last show there were rumours that he was going to fight Wanderlei.. i was pumped. That would have been glorious.

Ice colllld
demzor is offline  Top
Old 02-14-2008, 09:26 AM   #4
Donut62
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Duke
"Sweet Igor"?

.....Okaaayyy.
You're clearly an ass pirate if you don't love Igor.
Donut62 is offline  Top
Old 02-14-2008, 09:32 AM   #5
demzor
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1363

Btw..
When you see Igor saying he's a business man.. does anyone else interpret that as "im in the russian mob"
demzor is offline  Top
Old 02-14-2008, 09:39 AM   #6
Donut62
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by demzor
Btw..
When you see Igor saying he's a business man.. does anyone else interpret that as "im in the russian mob"
He runs a restaraunt in Kiev. As to the legitimacy of his business, well I'm not going to ask him
Donut62 is offline  Top
Old 02-14-2008, 10:51 AM   #7
scurlaruntings
ESB 2002 Club
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donut62
Well, I guess it's pretty much official. No more Igor. So many good memories from that angry little dump truck. Who can forget using Paul Varlens as a punching bag, stomping Edson Carvalho's soul out, making Gary Goodridge do the Zab Judah remix, or beating Enson Inoue to the point doctor's were ready to declare him terminally brain damaged.
Man that fight was bad. **** me i thought Enson was going to die?! What a ****ing beating! He could hardly stand and the Japanese refs just let there favoruite take blow after blow.
scurlaruntings is offline  Top
Old 02-14-2008, 10:53 AM   #8
scurlaruntings
ESB 2002 Club
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Duke
"Sweet Igor"?

.....Okaaayyy.
Igor was an animal. He had wayyyy more fights than actually listed on his ledger aswell as a bunch of underground unlicensed battles. He was a warrior to the last.
scurlaruntings is offline  Top
Old 02-14-2008, 10:54 AM   #9
Dostoevsky
ESB Addict

I'm not dissing Igor, I just thought the term "Sweet Igor" was a bit.......gay.
Old 02-14-2008, 11:15 AM   #10
WiDDoW_MaKeR
ESB Hall of Fame Member
East Side VIP

Igor was a beast, and his fights were exciting as hell.
WiDDoW_MaKeR is offline  Top
Old 02-14-2008, 01:28 PM   #11
jimmie
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by scurlaruntings
Man that fight was bad. **** me i thought Enson was going to die?! What a ****ing beating! He could hardly stand and the Japanese refs just let there favoruite take blow after blow.
Dont believe I seen that u gotta link ?
jimmie is offline  Top
Old 02-14-2008, 01:36 PM   #12
safe_pa
Howlin' Mad
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 270

Man I shit myself when I saw this thread, I thought Iggy may be dead.
He is a true warrior. But sadly I've never seen the fight where he nearly killed Enson either.
safe_pa is offline  Top
Old 02-14-2008, 01:42 PM   #13
Dostoevsky
ESB Addict

I have, its pretty cool. I just did a search for it, no luck, all the PRIDE videos were wiped off the net when Zuffa got the buy out - which was a great shame.
Old 02-14-2008, 02:19 PM   #14
Donut62
Contender
ESB Senior Member

I can't find it either. It was at Pride 10, Return of the Warriors. One of the best early MMA cards easily, and worth picking up on DVD if you see it somewhere. Enson said that if he didn't win that fight he wanted to die in the ring, and Igor almost gave him his wish. They both came out guns blazing in amazing exchange of haymakers, then Igor took Enson down and beat his brains out for 9 minutes. At one point they reset the fight to the center of the ring, but Enson couldn't move so the ref literally grabbed his leg and drug him to the center of the ring because they knew they weren't supposed to stop an Enson fight. At the end of the round they picked up Enson and carried him to his corner, and one of the Pride people called the fight off despite Enson's protests. He spent several weeks in the hospital with severe brain swelling and couldn't train for months because the swelling damaged his inner ear and he had no balance or coordination. Scary moment in Pride history.

Last edited by deathdrums; 02-15-2007 at 09:34 PM.
Donut62 is offline  Top
Old 02-14-2008, 02:23 PM   #15
Donut62
Contender
ESB Senior Member

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Here's a highlight of a lot of his fights. His fight with Enson is in there, Enson is the Japanese guy in gi pants only.
Donut62 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum