Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 03-14-2013, 10:17 AM   #1
mattdonnellon
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Top HW'S 1925-35 that didn't win title.

Recently thinking about the heavyweights from 1925'ish to 1937 or so. The champions for the most part were able operaters but what of the top contenders and were they unlucky or avoided, indeed were some of them better than the champs?
In fairness the champions fought alot of top contenders as well as among themselves. Sharkey lost to Dempsey but beat Carnera and Schmeling but also lost to these two. Carnera also lost to Baer who beat Schmeling. Braddock beat Baer but then lost to Louis. Indeed Joe beat the 5 champions that preceeded him but Schmeling did manage a win over him.
Let's look at some of the top tier of the challangers, first up Larry Gains.
He was a good amature in Canada before taking himself off to England where he made his debut against Frank Moody. He learnt quickly and put his size(6-1) silky skills and decent power to good effect as he amassed a decent record in Europ beating amongst others a young Schmeling on a 2 round KO.
Back to Canada where he won their Heavyweight title as well as the coloured crown where he avenged a previous defeat against George Godfrey. A return to Britain and Europe saw him win the British Empire crown, blowing out Phil Scott. Primo Carnera was defeated before 70,000 in London and he regained the Black title from Obie Walker. He had started to lose a few but still posted the odd good win over the likes of Maurice Strickland. At his best he would have a decent chance with any of the 1930-37 champions, I'd favour him over Braddock for sure and probably Carnera. Baer, Schmeling and Sharkey would be around 50/50 IMO.
mattdonnellon is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 03-14-2013, 01:13 PM   #2
Surf-Bat
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500
Default Re: Top HW'S 1925-35 that didn't win title.

Jack Trammell
Surf-Bat is offline  Top
Old 03-14-2013, 02:03 PM   #3
thistle1
Belt holder
ESB Addict

good thread it's always nice to see some of the lesser known or forgotten fighters get thier due credit, many were as good as any champion, some better even.

it's the period just before my research however, I have always been intriqued by fighters who were listed for a good few years though you never here much about.

in the years you have listed at HW, I think Tony Schuco & Fred Lenhart were around for a good spell. same with Al McCoy, though he was a L-HW cum HW.

if I can think of any more I'll put them in.
thistle1 is offline  Top
Old 03-14-2013, 02:13 PM   #4
thistle1
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Jack Peterson, Wales/Britain, very good boxer, just not good enough for the tougher lads so it seemed.
thistle1 is offline  Top
Old 03-14-2013, 03:04 PM   #5
janitor
P4P King
East Side VIP

Top ten in no particular order:

Harry Wills
Johny Risko
Paulino Uzcdun
George Godfrey
Young Stribling
Tommy Loughran
Mickey Walker
Earnie Schaff
Steve Hamas
Art Lasky
janitor is offline  Top
Old 03-14-2013, 03:08 PM   #6
lufcrazy
requiescat in pace
East Side VIP

vCash: 330

Loughran on his night could beat any if the champs pre Louis.
lufcrazy is offline  Top
Old 03-14-2013, 03:09 PM   #7
janitor
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by lufcrazy View Post
Loughran on his night could beat any if the champs pre Louis.
Perhaps Carnera is the one he could never have beaten.
janitor is offline  Top
Old 03-14-2013, 03:55 PM   #8
mattdonnellon
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by janitor View Post
Top ten in no particular order:

Harry Wills
Johny Risko
Paulino Uzcdun
George Godfrey
Young Stribling
Tommy Loughran
Mickey Walker
Earnie Schaff
Steve Hamas
Art Lasky
Good list but I'll do a pitch for Obie Walker as well as the above Gains one.
Old 03-14-2013, 06:09 PM   #9
janitor
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattdonnellon View Post
Good list but I'll do a pitch for Obie Walker as well as the above Gains one.
I guess that rounds out the dynamite dozen then!
janitor is offline  Top
Old 03-14-2013, 08:19 PM   #10
mattdonnellon
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Lots of fellas in Europe like the underrated Neussel, Person, Von Porat, Charles, Petersen as well as Kingfisher, Rosenbloom, Jack Fox, Hartwell, Heeney, Retzlaff and a ton more, lots of depth to be sure. Personally I rate a load of them above Braddock but then I don't rate Max Baer as high as most but I wouldn't for a second doubt his punching power, as good as any, ever.
But Take Gains, his 5 best wins-Carnera, Godfrey (he was winning on points) Schmeling, Walker and Bud Gorman (another gud 'un)-are hard to top and he backed it up with a lot of solid wins and less losses than most of that busy period. But on to Obie Walker.
Wins over a young Galento and Godfrey propelled him on to the big stage. Standing only 5-9 he met and beat the best. Now the coloured champion he cashed in in Europe beating the likes of Von Porat, McCorkindale and Strickland before returning to the states to get the better of Elmer Ray in a long series. Leroy Haynes and Bearcat Wright were others in his win ledger but somehow this powerful 230-40 pounder is almost forgotten to-day. Could he have beaten some of the champions of his time if given the oppertunity? I think his record says yes.
Old 03-14-2013, 08:43 PM   #11
OvidsExile
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Young Stribling was damn good. One of the most prolific heavyweights of all time. 289 fights 256 victories by the age of 31. I saw the footage of him fighting Max Schmeling or someone a few months back and he had that super relaxed look that guys get in the ring when they've had hundreds of fights. And his technique was spot on. He eventually lost the fight, but it was against Max Schmeling after all, so you can't count that too hard against him.
OvidsExile is offline  Top
Old 03-15-2013, 09:11 AM   #12
mattdonnellon
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovid***ile View Post
Young Stribling was damn good. One of the most prolific heavyweights of all time. 289 fights 256 victories by the age of 31. I saw the footage of him fighting Max Schmeling or someone a few months back and he had that super relaxed look that guys get in the ring when they've had hundreds of fights. And his technique was spot on. He eventually lost the fight, but it was against Max Schmeling after all, so you can't count that too hard against him.
Yep Stribling was a good operater. Very good in fact. Names popping up on his win ledger allover the place, Rosenbloom, Risko, Slattery, Griffiths, Gorman, Wiggins and loads more. Took the very best Sharkey, Schmeling, Loughran and Schaaf to beat him. Looks like the standard gatekeeper at the time-beat him and you were real good. Won and Lost to Primo too but they were dodgy.
Old 03-15-2013, 09:38 AM   #13
mattdonnellon
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Schaaf was a very in and out performer but at his best he was a match for any of them. Hard to believe he was only 24 when he died, he had some wins in that time. Lost a majority to Baer, split a few with Loughran, beat Braddock, Uzcuden, Stribling, Maloney, Griffiths, Baer, Risko a who's who of the period-and I'll say it again-only 24 when he died after the Carnera fight. At 6-2 and filled out to 210 he would have been a handful in any era.
Old 03-15-2013, 12:31 PM   #14
the_bigunit
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovid***ile View Post

King of the Canebrakes.
the_bigunit is offline  Top
Old 03-15-2013, 02:54 PM   #15
janitor
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattdonnellon View Post
Schaaf was a very in and out performer but at his best he was a match for any of them. Hard to believe he was only 24 when he died, he had some wins in that time. Lost a majority to Baer, split a few with Loughran, beat Braddock, Uzcuden, Stribling, Maloney, Griffiths, Baer, Risko a who's who of the period-and I'll say it again-only 24 when he died after the Carnera fight. At 6-2 and filled out to 210 he would have been a handful in any era.
Schaff was very good.

He might even have been a potential champion in that era if things had turned out differently.
janitor is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum