Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-16-2013, 08:28 PM   #61
xRedx
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 2,129
vCash: 1306
Default Re: Who else could have finished Willard like Dempsey ?

Only Mike Tyson. Foreman just doesn't have that ferocity in him.
xRedx is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-16-2013, 09:12 PM   #62
Seamus
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Lisboa, Portugal
Posts: 12,607
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Who else could have finished Willard like Dempsey ?

[quote=janitor;14966826]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rusak View Post

It never hurts to think for five seconds before you publish a post.

This will give you time to analyse what you have written, and see if there are major logical flaws in it.
That ain't me your quoting.
Seamus is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 12:21 AM   #63
MadcapMaxie
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 1,406
vCash: 500
Default Re: Who else could have finished Willard like Dempsey ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by janitor View Post
If Willard was alowed to fight back, then Morrison might well get sparked.

I somtimes wonder if you even think before you post some of this nonsense.

I mean Willard might noit have been the greatest fighter that ever lived, but he was not somebody you could aford to take lightly either.
See it's because people have a very warped sense of things, Tommy Morrison actually achieved a fair bit and beat alot of tough opponents, I favour him over most if not all the opponents Dempsey beat. He was just as fast if not faster, threw tighter punches in combinations, good head movement, good finisher and was perhaps the hardest left hooker of all time. He got blasted by Bentt but shit Dempsey got blasted by Flynn yet it would be blasphemous to make such a comparison because Dempsey is bla bla bla.
MadcapMaxie is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 01:11 AM   #64
Theron
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 3,299
vCash: 773
Default Re: Who else could have finished Willard like Dempsey ?

Tyson
Joe Louis if he went at him full force but i see him boxing him
I don't think Foreman has enough speed to do it and the fight will last a little longer, maybe 3 rounds with some 1 or 2 knockdowns in the second and the final knockdown in the 3rd
Theron is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 01:27 AM   #65
Boxed Ears
I love GOAT.
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Raysisma, Peleset
Posts: 25,097
vCash: 25999
Default Re: Who else could have finished Willard like Dempsey ?

[quote=Seamus;14967966]
Quote:
Originally Posted by janitor View Post

That ain't me your quoting.
That's ain't Janitor you're quoting not quoting you, Janitor.

I love it when they break up like this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boggle View Post
Obviously none of you learned anything from my Willard is Fast! thread
No, I got it. I got it!
Boxed Ears is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 01:34 AM   #66
LittleRed
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Yoknapatawpha
Posts: 3,330
vCash: 475
Default Re: Who else could have finished Willard like Dempsey ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by janitor View Post
Oh please.

You would be hard put to find 100 heavyweights who have demolished any sort of world class fighter in three rounds.

There havn't been gloved boxers for much more than 100 years.
I think if we can name any division in which guys demolished world class fighters quickly it would be heavyweight, no?
LittleRed is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 06:21 AM   #67
janitor
P4P King
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 21,557
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Who else could have finished Willard like Dempsey ?

[quote=rusak;14967507]
Quote:
Originally Posted by janitor View Post
You claim that Willard had an all-time chin. How did he prove that against a bunch of bum cruisers and light heavies? Willard was getting whipped by light heavies in his day. I wouldn't bet on him against Jean Pascal today.
I don't have time to educate you on the basic facts to Willards career such as who he fought and how much they weighed, so please learn it for yourself before bestowing your opinions upon us.
janitor is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 06:26 AM   #68
janitor
P4P King
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 21,557
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Who else could have finished Willard like Dempsey ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadcapMaxie View Post
See it's because people have a very warped sense of things, Tommy Morrison actually achieved a fair bit and beat alot of tough opponents, I favour him over most if not all the opponents Dempsey beat. He was just as fast if not faster, threw tighter punches in combinations, good head movement, good finisher and was perhaps the hardest left hooker of all time. He got blasted by Bentt but shit Dempsey got blasted by Flynn yet it would be blasphemous to make such a comparison because Dempsey is bla bla bla.
Lets assume that Dempsey did get blasted by Flynn.

There is quite a big difference between loosing to Flynn as a regional level fighter, and loosing your title to Michael Bentt.

If you are going to dreamily wax about Morrisons under rated acomplishments, then the leasdt you can do is give some credit to Willard, who achieved two orders of magnitude more by any objective measure.

I doubt that you would bet a lot of money on Morrison beating most world class fighters in the real universe, let alone doing it inside three rounds.
janitor is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 06:33 AM   #69
janitor
P4P King
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 21,557
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Who else could have finished Willard like Dempsey ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleRed View Post
I think if we can name any division in which guys demolished world class fighters quickly it would be heavyweight, no?
Indeed.

It is still a relativley rare event for a world class fighter to be demolished inside three rounds, and when they are they usualy lack durability.

The fighters that you would actualy predict to acomplish this feet are few and far between.
janitor is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 07:01 AM   #70
Sawyers
Journeyman
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 86
vCash: 500
Default Re: Who else could have finished Willard like Dempsey ?

Dempsey belted willard from all angle including behind and punching down over his ribs and back and head. Willard lasts forf three rounds because the young jack dempsey has no puff. Willard ends up retiring after 3 rounds. Two of the rounds were uneventful. This says something. Willard was tough or dempsey was not such a hard puncher as people think. Both are over rated fighters. Louis, Tyson, Liston, Frazier, Forman dedstroy both with no trouble.
Sawyers is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 08:16 AM   #71
LittleRed
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Yoknapatawpha
Posts: 3,330
vCash: 475
Default Re: Who else could have finished Willard like Dempsey ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by janitor View Post
Indeed.

It is still a relativley rare event for a world class fighter to be demolished inside three rounds, and when they are they usualy lack durability.

The fighters that you would actualy predict to acomplish this feet are few and far between.
Well that's the rub, isn't it. If you asked who I thought would, that's a much shorter list. Could includes quite a few guys.

Take Joe Louis, for example. Could Louis get Willard out of there in 3 or less? Honestly I think if he was fired up he could get Jess out of there in one round. But why would he be hyped up? Unless you had given him a fit the first time around or came out guns blazing, Louis didn't go for the quick finish. I think Louis would take his time chopping Willard down, and that could take 6 rounds or it could take 13. I think it's more likely to take 13 than 3, but if he had to he absolutely could.
LittleRed is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 08:36 AM   #72
janitor
P4P King
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 21,557
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Who else could have finished Willard like Dempsey ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleRed View Post
Well that's the rub, isn't it. If you asked who I thought would, that's a much shorter list. Could includes quite a few guys.

Take Joe Louis, for example. Could Louis get Willard out of there in 3 or less? Honestly I think if he was fired up he could get Jess out of there in one round. But why would he be hyped up? Unless you had given him a fit the first time around or came out guns blazing, Louis didn't go for the quick finish. I think Louis would take his time chopping Willard down, and that could take 6 rounds or it could take 13. I think it's more likely to take 13 than 3, but if he had to he absolutely could.
I would agree with this assesment and Louis is prety much the calibre of finisher it would take, for me to call a world class fighter to get blasted in three.

If Joe Louis was fighting Michael Moorer tomorrow, I might be enboldened to call a knockout inside the first three.

If he was fighting Ray Mercer, then I would not predict anything more specific than a win.
janitor is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 08:53 AM   #73
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 37,725
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Who else could have finished Willard like Dempsey ?

Yeah, but if you had seen another lethal puncher take him out in three in weird circumstances and you knew those weird circumstances might be replicated, you might pick Louis to beat him in three.

If Langford KO3 Willard, then Dempsey KO3 Willard becomes a real possibility.

Hence, Dempsey KO3 Willard makes Louis KO3 Willard a real possibility.
McGrain is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 09:47 AM   #74
MadcapMaxie
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 1,406
vCash: 500
Default Re: Who else could have finished Willard like Dempsey ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by janitor View Post
Lets assume that Dempsey did get blasted by Flynn.

There is quite a big difference between loosing to Flynn as a regional level fighter, and loosing your title to Michael Bentt.

If you are going to dreamily wax about Morrisons under rated acomplishments, then the leasdt you can do is give some credit to Willard, who achieved two orders of magnitude more by any objective measure.

I doubt that you would bet a lot of money on Morrison beating most world class fighters in the real universe, let alone doing it inside three rounds.
There's nothing to assume...he got KO'd. And although they were defeated in different parts of their respective careers most would simply laugh off Morrison with any major H2H due to the Bentt loss, yet few would extend this to Dempsey.

I do give some credit to Willard but little to that version, and although on paper he might appear to have achieved more fact is he couldn't have beaten the best opponents Morrison beat and wouldn't have been as good if placed in the same era. He was a champ in one of the weakest eras of Heavyweight boxing ever, to think he'd do good during a time when Holyfield, Moorer, Foreman, Williams, Mercer, Bowe, Lewis, Ruddock, Tyson etc. were all around is funny to say the least.

Also the original question was who else could have finished Willard like Dempsey, not who else could've KO'd Willard within 3 rounds...either way Morrison could do it, probably quicker than Dempsey too.
MadcapMaxie is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 10:02 AM   #75
janitor
P4P King
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 21,557
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Who else could have finished Willard like Dempsey ?

[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadcapMaxie View Post
There's nothing to assume...he got KO'd.
There is actualy a great deal to assume. Whatever your personal thoughts on the matter, there are some indications that the fight was fixed.

Quote:
And although they were defeated in different parts of their respective careers most would simply laugh off Morrison with any major H2H due to the Bentt loss, yet few would extend this to Dempsey.
And with good reason. Dempsey went on to become a dominant heavyweight champion, while Morrison went on to more of the same.

Quote:
I do give some credit to Willard but little to that version, and although on paper he might appear to have achieved more fact is he couldn't have beaten the best opponents Morrison beat and wouldn't have been as good if placed in the same era. He was a champ in one of the weakest eras of Heavyweight boxing ever, to think he'd do good during a time when Holyfield, Moorer, Foreman, Williams, Mercer, Bowe, Lewis, Ruddock, Tyson etc. were all around is funny to say the least.
I don't think that Willard would have beaten Lennox Lewis, but I also don't think he would have lost to Michael Bentt. There are certainl;y guys like him min every era.

Quote:
Also the original question was who else could have finished Willard like Dempsey, not who else could've KO'd Willard within 3 rounds...either way Morrison could do it, probably quicker than Dempsey too.
No he couldn't.

He never beat anybody close to being that goood that quickly.

The only rational assumption based on his record, is that he probably wouldn't replicate the feat.

I will also put it to you that you would never dare to make such a prediction, if the fight was going to happen tomorrow, and your prediction was going to be publicaly tested.

Have you ever predicted a knockout inside three rounds in a real fight that was going to have a real result?
janitor is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:04 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013