Saldivar Points 3 50.00%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-16-2013, 08:08 PM   #1
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Vicente Saldivar v Fighting Harada @ Featherweight

Harada didn't make his mark at feather, but wait. We're talking here about Harada stepping up right after he beats Jofre the first time in his absolute prime to meet Saldivar.

That's relevant because Harada was clearly pretty happy fighting at around 124lbs and Saldivar is a small feather, with no advantage at all in height or reach. Saldivar was brilliant at overcoming physical advantages in his generally rangier opponents and fought as well in a variety of styles as anyone, but can he fight in the style necessary to beat a peaking Harada?

Best for best, who you got?

BORKED

BORKED
McGrain is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 03-16-2013, 08:10 PM   #2
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

vCash: 75
Default Re: Vicente Saldivar v Fighting Harada @ Featherweight

Saldivar has the stamina to come on strong but Harada would take the early rounds. Don't see a knockout here but I could see Saldivar being stronger down the stretch and banging Masahiko around a bit.

Saldivar via 8-7 decision.

The Japanese would have made his mark at feather (and this could well have happened) had Harada got the decision he deserved first time round against Fammo.
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 03-16-2013, 08:11 PM   #3
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

So Harada over ten or twelve but leaning to Vicente over 15. Seems reasonable.
McGrain is offline  Top
Old 03-16-2013, 08:32 PM   #4
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

Do we think Saldivar clearly have the better jab, do you think?
McGrain is offline  Top
Old 03-16-2013, 08:44 PM   #5
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGrain View Post
No. I think Harada did, even though it wasn't always use to prod his man, but thrown constantly to varying levels and targets as Harada closed the distance, keeping his foe guessing and leading his opponent exactly where Harada needed them to set up his whirlwind offence.

Of course he timed his overhand right counter as well before exploding into his kamikaze assault, so that'd be his more likely weapon against lefty Saldivar.

Overall; I'd say Harada has the better jab but Saldivar's would likely be the better one in this matchup. Once he gets warmed up.

Past his best anyway, the reason Saldivar struggled to get off against Shibata is that Shibata burst and then stepped back out. Harada is likely to try and....well, do what he usually does and I can see Saldivar gauging him a lot easier.
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 03-16-2013, 08:48 PM   #6
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

Shot for shot i'll take Saldivar's but Harada probably buzzed better with his. I personally think Saldivar would have to go ****ing nuclear to get Harada under control but that he has that in him.
McGrain is offline  Top
Old 03-16-2013, 08:52 PM   #7
LittleRed
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 475

Quote:
I think Harada had the far better jab. Used it more often, and threw it in combination. I think, other than his marauding, incessant pressure, it's his signature feature. Unfortunately, this is limited by Saldivar swinging the other way.

Anyway I think Harada builds up an early lead but Saldivar is too strong for him. He's one of the strongest feathers I've ever seen, even with the weight cutting generation, and he hits hard enough to really put a hurting on the fighting one. Harada can't really outbox him, not if Winstonr couldn't, and doing his mugging you in a street corner routine only works for so long. Sometime in the championship rounds Saldivar stops him.
LittleRed is offline  Top
Old 03-16-2013, 08:53 PM   #8
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleRed View Post
Sometime in the championship rounds Saldivar stops him.
This is my feeling also.
McGrain is offline  Top
Old 03-16-2013, 08:57 PM   #9
Vic-JofreBRASIL
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1166

Quote:
No, as far as I can remember I never saw a display of jab from SAldivar like the Harada vs Jofre in the first fight....
Vic-JofreBRASIL is offline  Top
Old 03-16-2013, 08:58 PM   #10
Vic-JofreBRASIL
Champion
East Side Guru

Close fight btw. I wouldnīt risk my money on this one...
Old 03-16-2013, 08:59 PM   #11
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

The thing is that Saldivar is an aggressive puncher in his own right in the sense that he wants to get across. Harada is giving him what he wants here, really. Harada isn't going to be able to safely out-box the guy even for a minute so he has to take an extremely physical approach with a fighter who has certain physical advantages that put him in a very serious quandary. Personally I think he gets hit more than he wants to by Vicente and starts to get grabby again late. But I don't think he'll like what he gets here when he does that. A very tired fighter is what I see late.
McGrain is offline  Top
Old 03-16-2013, 09:04 PM   #12
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

I think thats an ok pick. I'd pick him over a shorter distance maybe.
McGrain is offline  Top
Old 03-16-2013, 09:08 PM   #13
Vic-JofreBRASIL
Champion
East Side Guru

What about that right hand that landed on Famechon so well ? Right hands like those are pretty good weapons against southpaws....
Obviously Famechon was nothing like Saldivar in terms of styles...but even so...itīs food for thought.
Old 03-16-2013, 09:18 PM   #14
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

He knocked him down in the late rounds as well didn't he?

Anyway, as I said in the opening reply; Saldivar's late output is why Harada will struggle to maintain his own. I don't think Saldivar stops him but he'd do more than say, Medel, who left it way too late to tag tired Harada. It may be that Harada's early attack sees him score a knockdown anyway, so if Saldivar gets a late one it makes a closer bout of one I'd expect to be very close anyway.

Harada will hang on though, if he's anywhere near his best. I think he has more tools at his disposable than Ramos despite his lack of comparitive dig (that was best Saldivar IMO, Jofre I for Harada if we're talking bantam onwards)

Really great fight though IMO. I think post-Fammo II that Harada could've had great bouts with Kobayashi and Numata at 130, or Shibata and Saijo.
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 03-16-2013, 10:06 PM   #15
lora
Fighting Zapata
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

Famechon gave Harada far too much respect.

he liked playing the matador and the boxer and given Harada was an archetypal swarmer\pressure fighter he slipped too easily into his own comfort zone, yet i took from the two fights they had that he could and probably should have fought more aggressively and box-punch'ish against the smaller man.

IN making things largely non-physical and jab oriented he essentially took much of the physicality issues of a small pressuring Bantam moving up to feather and threw them away.harada was very sharp that night for a final time and really capitalised, but i can't see Saldivar making that kind of mistake.he's not capable of fighting that way even if he wanted to, mind you.

A great fight, but Harada eventually has holes punched in him and is dropped a few times or stopped.Especially if he just comes straight at Saldivar, but i think he'd probably try and employ some of his hand\foot speed advantage and do some of what he did to Jofre for a while, making a real fight of it.

I struggle to see him being sharp enough over the whole 15 though and saldivar at his best had that steady Marciano'esque ability to just slowly sweep over you if you couldn't really put a lot of damage on him.Too heavy handed and accurate imo.Harada not quite durable or hard hitting enough to come out on top of a fight sure to have plenty of extended exchanges.

Best case scenario for Harada would be to catch him in Seki I form and maybe take a close decision-certainly would have been possible-but with both at or near best form,Saldivar takes it.

I think Harada would have a better chance at beating Ramos, Winstone, Legra, Laguna or Marcel than Saldivar.He's still a potential nightmare for the boxer types if they can't conjure up a Lionel Rose level display...and Harada in Famechon I redemptive form showed more vigour, precision and pace than he did in that one, he probably could have come back and done much better had he fought like that in a rematch with the weight struggling Rose.Then again he had weight issues of his own and made history in a way against Famechon, even if he was officially beaten.
lora is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum