Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 02-28-2013, 02:06 PM   #1
Seamus
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Ike Williams v Benny Leonard

As a respite from the redundant heavyweight tail chasing... how about this match-up. It's hard to pick against Leonard due to his ridiculous record at the weight. I'm more interested in hearing opinions of those who have closely reviewed film, and film of their opponents, as to how this would play out over 15 rounds, the ebb and flow, any problems that Leonard and Williams would have to solve and how successful they would be at figuring the other out. Essentially, what are the major stylistic factors here?

I only care for prediction if the above factors are considered and listed.
Seamus is online now  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 02-28-2013, 03:10 PM   #2
turbotime
Future Hall Of Famer
East Side VIP

vCash: 816
Default Re: Ike Williams v Benny Leonard

Williams was such a big LW. I think his size coupled with his skill/power would just be too much for Ben who at times had no problem mixing it up.

I expect Leonard to be the favorite here but I'd be putting my money on Williams to catch up to him later while Leonard is enjoying an early lead, catching Leonard pulling straight back as he often did and either finishing or taking over from there, landing the better stuff.
turbotime is offline  Top
Old 02-28-2013, 03:51 PM   #3
kingfisher3
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500

benny is credited as one of the top smart fighters, but there is not enough film to be able to show how well he adapted to different opponents(i am sure very well but the question is about film)

because of that i cant give a direct answer to the qusetion, but it would be a high quality, close, fight where i would favour leonard to win more of the later rounds.
kingfisher3 is offline  Top
Old 02-28-2013, 03:54 PM   #4
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

Well, Leonard probably has the right style to beat Ike. He has the chin to withstand Ike'a best blows and the feet to stop Ike being ready to get off too often.

Less important but he can punch with him as well.

Williams doesn't look the Arguello footed fighter he's sometimes made out to be but he will be shuffling a step behind Benny for the duration I bet.

Leonard UD Williams
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 02-28-2013, 06:49 PM   #5
ripcity
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Location: "Somebody may beat me, but they are going to have to bleed to do it."
vCash: 827

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbotime View Post
Williams was such a big LW. I think his size coupled with his skill/power would just be too much for Ben who at times had no problem mixing it up.

I expect Leonard to be the favorite here but I'd be putting my money on Williams to catch up to him later while Leonard is enjoying an early lead, catching Leonard pulling straight back as he often did and either finishing or taking over from there, landing the better stuff.
I have to respect anyone who takes a risk on the underdog. However I don't agree.
In my opinion Williams power is a bit overrated. Don't get me wrong Ike Williams is a great boxer with good power, but not as much as is often made out to be. Williams dose enjoy a height advantage 5′ 9″ compared to 5′ 5″ for Benny Leonard. In terms of reach Leonard has a longer reach by an inch. If Williams had longer arms. I would agree with you.
ripcity is offline  Top
Old 02-28-2013, 07:08 PM   #6
ripcity
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Location: "Somebody may beat me, but they are going to have to bleed to do it."
vCash: 827

A match up of two of the best lightweights of all time. If Williams had a longer reach I think he has the skills to take advantage. In the end I see Leonard winning a close fight.
ripcity is offline  Top
Old 02-28-2013, 10:10 PM   #7
turbotime
Future Hall Of Famer
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripcity View Post
A match up of two of the best lightweights of all time. If Williams had a longer reach I think he has the skills to take advantage. In the end I see Leonard winning a close fight.
Maybe, I just think Williams size power and speed overwhelms him. It's not just about reach. At some point Benny is going to have to get in the trenches to touch Ike and his chin is up a lot of them time coming in.
Old 03-16-2013, 09:41 PM   #8
LittleRed
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 475

Ham fisted and lazy the bunch of you!
LittleRed is offline  Top
Old 03-16-2013, 09:44 PM   #9
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

McGrain is online now  Top
Old 03-17-2013, 01:34 AM   #10
Surf-Bat
Belt holder
ESB Addict

People seem to be forgetting that it is Leonard who may be the superior puncher here. That guy could crack as hard as any LW champ in history. Look at the guys he stopped who'd never even BEEN stopped before.
Surf-Bat is offline  Top
Old 03-17-2013, 01:47 AM   #11
burt bienstock
Champion
East Side Guru

Having seen Ike Williams in his prime several times,I think at his very best and uncuffed he was the best lightweight I've seen ringside, but he lost THREE times to a great boxer
but a light punching Willie Joyce...Benny Leonard of course I never saw fight {taint that old], but almost every boxing writer since Leonard's time and after who saw the peerless Leonard rule the great lightweight contenders for 7 years adamantly insisted Leonard was the best lightweight since Joe Gans...Leonard could outbox the great boxers and outpunch the best hitters of his time and was considerd the greatest thinker in the ring..
So I have to pick Benny Leonard over Ike Williams ,in 15 rds both at their peak...
P.S. Leonard was considered the equal as a lightweight, that Ray Robinson was as a welterweight, by Ray Arcel and others who saw them both.....
burt bienstock is offline  Top
Old 03-17-2013, 04:09 AM   #12
Seamus
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGrain View Post
Well constructed, footnoted, annotated argument.

Care if I deconstruct it?
Seamus is online now  Top
Old 03-17-2013, 05:51 AM   #13
turpinr
Champion
East Side Guru

ike williams by stoppage or ko in 6
turpinr is offline  Top
Old 03-17-2013, 11:32 AM   #14
turbotime
Future Hall Of Famer
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by turpinr View Post
ike williams by stoppage or ko in 6
This guy.
Old 03-17-2013, 12:00 PM   #15
lufcrazy
requiescat in pace
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

Williams is an awesome attacking force but Leonard might just be the one lightweight he cannot win a trade off with.

Williams was bigger and arguably some of his best work was at ww but Leonard wasn't exactly a small lw himself.

Leonard was a master boxer, quick on his feet, good timing and effective at any range. He also has devastating power couple with quick reflexes.

Something tells me Williams gets caught on his way in, repeatedly before being stopped late on.

Both look very good on film and easily pass the eye test. But i think Leonard is the king of the lightweight division and loses only to pea, Armstrong and Duran.
lufcrazy is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum