Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 03-17-2013, 11:47 AM   #1
Bummy Davis
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000
Default Last nights fight & the history of a Ref calling the wrong shot

The fight was close but IMO Ruslin landed the heavier punches, Bradley had some good rounds but Ruslin had him all but out in 3 of those rounds.

At the end it was the Referees failure to call the KD as it was thus the point a difference of loss or win for Ruslin

I know about Chavez and Meldrick where the fight was stopped in the 12th but what other fights that went the full distance were won or lost by the referees failure to score a legitimate KD and are there any thoughts on last nights fight
Bummy Davis is offline  Top
Old 03-17-2013, 11:53 AM   #2
natonic
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Default Re: Last nights fight & the history of a Ref calling the wrong shot

The guy made a mistake, it happens. But when the fighter starts flopping around like Trevor Berbick, can't he correct that mistake? It was clear after Bradley stumbled the second time he was badly hurt. The ref should've had some balls and corrected his call.
natonic is offline  Top
Old 03-17-2013, 11:57 AM   #3
Rex Tickard
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by natonic View Post
The guy made a mistake, it happens. But when the fighter starts flopping around like Trevor Berbick, can't he correct that mistake? It was clear after Bradley stumbled the second time he was badly hurt. The ref should've had some balls and corrected his call.
This is my view as well.

I think the ref was justified in not initially calling a KD when Provo pushed down on Bradley's back, but he should've called a KD once Bradley wobbled and crashed to the canvas from the effects of the punches he'd been hit with earlier.
Rex Tickard is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 03-17-2013, 01:04 PM   #4
kmac
On permanent vacation
ESB Addict

vCash: 683

i had the fight scored 113-113 but i didn't have the first round 10-8. i did have the second and obviously the 12th, 10-8. the official judges had the first two rounds only 10-9. this was the difference in the fight.
kmac is offline  Top
Old 03-17-2013, 01:07 PM   #5
kmac
On permanent vacation
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummy Davis View Post
The fight was close but IMO Ruslin landed the heavier punches, Bradley had some good rounds but Ruslin had him all but out in 3 of those rounds.

At the end it was the Referees failure to call the KD as it was thus the point a difference of loss or win for Ruslin

I know about Chavez and Meldrick where the fight was stopped in the 12th but what other fights that went the full distance were won or lost by the referees failure to score a legitimate KD and are there any thoughts on last nights fight
actually this would have been the difference between a loss and a draw for ruslan but your point is well taken.
kmac is offline  Top
Old 03-17-2013, 01:10 PM   #6
scartissue
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmac View Post
i had the fight scored 113-113 but i didn't have the first round 10-8. i did have the second and obviously the 12th, 10-8. the official judges had the first two rounds only 10-9. this was the difference in the fight.
Is there a breakdown on how the judges scored each round? I haven't seen it, but would love to. Is there a link to any site?
scartissue is online now  Top
Old 03-17-2013, 01:14 PM   #7
kmac
On permanent vacation
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by scartissue View Post
Is there a breakdown on how the judges scored each round? I haven't seen it, but would love to. Is there a link to any site?
here are the cards

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
kmac is offline  Top
Old 03-17-2013, 01:40 PM   #8
burt bienstock
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummy Davis View Post

I have seen Provodnikov fight on tv several times and he is a small edition of George Chuvalo, except for Rusian's lack of body shots. His greatest glare last night is that when he hurt Bradley several times, he would always miss the follow up punches on the ready to be ko'd Bradley...Knowing this his corner should have told Rusian to hit the body
as it is a stationary target at all times...This is what seperates a good fighter [Provodnikov] from another tough but greater WW, Carmine Basillio
who when he hurt a man always hit the target of his wobbly opponent...
And unlike the inhuman stamina of a Rocky Marciano , Rusian took of a few rounds to recapture his wind, losing a few middle rounds...But he is a
crowd favorite for sure...At the same weight a Lucas Mathysse stops
Provodikov IMO...
burt bienstock is offline  Top
Old 03-17-2013, 02:28 PM   #9
Bogotazo
Amateur
East Side VIP

vCash: 121

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
Bogotazo is offline  Top
Old 03-17-2013, 04:11 PM   #10
divac
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

Boxing has always been a sport where the higher ups want the control to side on who they would prefer to win.

Instant replay is used in every major sport today, whats stopping boxing from doing the same???

I'll tell you! The refs are instructed indirectly, "this guy should win" they then make their choices in the ring as they see fit to get that agenda across.
It was'nt exactly clear that a punch landed at the instant that Bradley went down, so having been indirectly instructed the agenda, he's going to rule no knockdown.
The same with the judges. If Bradley has the round Ruslan had in round 2, thats a 10-8 for Bradley.

In the case of the knockdown in round 1, instant replay would have shown it to be a knockdown, and the scorecards could have been corrected across the board.

Boxing higher ups are about controlling who wins and loses in the best way they can. Having instant replay puts a hamper on that process, its why they dont have it implemented!
divac is offline  Top
Old 03-17-2013, 04:12 PM   #11
bballchump11
2011 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP

vCash: 233

And Still WBO WELTERWEIGHT CHAMPION OF THE WORLLLLD
bballchump11 is online now  Top
Old 03-17-2013, 04:20 PM   #12
divac
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by burt bienstock View Post
I have seen Provodnikov fight on tv several times and he is a small edition of George Chuvalo, except for Rusian's lack of body shots. His greatest glare last night is that when he hurt Bradley several times, he would always miss the follow up punches on the ready to be ko'd Bradley...Knowing this his corner should have told Rusian to hit the body
as it is a stationary target at all times...This is what seperates a good fighter [Provodnikov] from another tough but greater WW, Carmine Basillio
who when he hurt a man always hit the target of his wobbly opponent...
And unlike the inhuman stamina of a Rocky Marciano , Rusian took of a few rounds to recapture his wind, losing a few middle rounds...But he is a
crowd favorite for sure...At the same weight a Lucas Mathysse stops
Provodikov IMO...
Agreed! Ruslan mixes it to the body more and he stops Bradley.

I say its the lack of a poor trainer to not have a fighter with the power like Ruslan, not go to the body more especially when he's hurting his opponent upstairs.

The first thing the greats like Duran and Chavez would do when they'd have an opponent hurt, was dig two or three shots to the body before proceeding again upstairs for the kill.
divac is offline  Top
Old 03-17-2013, 04:21 PM   #13
zetsui
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 416

Shitt ref, bad calls, most importantly he seemed that way before the fight even began. Like he had an itch to scratch...not with the fighters, but with life
zetsui is offline  Top
Old 03-17-2013, 04:34 PM   #14
Bogotazo
Amateur
East Side VIP

vCash: 121

Quote:
Originally Posted by divac View Post
Agreed! Ruslan mixes it to the body more and he stops Bradley.

I say its the lack of a poor trainer to not have a fighter with the power like Ruslan, not go to the body more especially when he's hurting his opponent upstairs.

The first thing the greats like Duran and Chavez would do when they'd have an opponent hurt, was dig two or three shots to the body before proceeding again upstairs for the kill.
I think it's less common for a fighter with his background to go to the body. He should have though. Roach did an excellent job preparing him with offensive head movement though.
Bogotazo is offline  Top
Old 03-17-2013, 09:54 PM   #15
divac
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogotazo View Post
I think it's less common for a fighter with his background to go to the body. He should have though. Roach did an excellent job preparing him with offensive head movement though.
When a fighter is repeatedly being hurt to the head, a well placed shot to the body really sinks the sails.
Ruslan actually went to the body in the 12th and only the bell saved Bradley.

The body shots by Marquez were what lead to the bombs landing and dropping Pacquiao both times!

Of course going to the body comes with some risk, but man the damage it does when executed and landed properly.
divac is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum