Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 03-18-2013, 01:44 AM   #1
PetethePrince
Slick & Redheaded
East Side VIP

vCash: 1200
Default Muhammad Ali vs George Foreman Ensemble Video

I have no idea if classic will appreciate this, but what the hell. A couple observations I noticed. It was an incredibly physical fight. You sort of forget how physical the fight actually was. Sure, it was no Manilla with Frazier but it was pretty exhausting. It must have been, which is part of the reason George speaks of Ali having such courage. It's well documented that Ali out-smarted George, but he also out-toughed in many regards. I mean repeated punches to the neck, and Foreman got in some wicked, wicked body-shots. Ali was just superhuman in what he was willing to take that night. His ability and will to absorb and come back is just remarkable. Foreman was this beast that couldn't be contained early on in the fight, and while Ali eventually controlled him. It took Foreman becoming tired and frustrated to completely give in to Ali's physical tactics. Foreman also landed plenty of leather to Ali's head. Maybe not the perfect, cleanest of shots but some good shots. Ali expected almost all of it, and leaned back to lessen the impact, but even George got in some shots that Ali didn't anticipate. Even a pretty good hold and right uppercut, but George was practically spent at that juncture. Magical stuff. It's the stuff of legend that truly defines Ali's legacy. And not just that he won but how he win. Heroic and incredible. Alright, enough idol fanfare.

BORKED
PetethePrince is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 03-18-2013, 01:51 AM   #2
Vic-JofreBRASIL
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1166
Default Re: Muhammad Ali vs George Foreman Ensemble Video

This song (of the first 2 minutes) is absolutely amazing, I feel hypnotized everytime I hear it.
Vic-JofreBRASIL is offline  Top
Old 03-18-2013, 02:04 AM   #3
PetethePrince
Slick & Redheaded
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic-JofreBRASIL View Post
This song (of the first 2 minutes) is absolutely amazing, I feel hypnotized everytime I hear it.
Thanks, it's actually the same song throughout.
Old 03-18-2013, 02:49 AM   #4
BlackCloud
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 500

When you watch that video you realise that the world will probably never see anything quite like it ever again.

For me it was as much about the masses reaction to Ali as a personality.
Then when you factor in the performance in the ring it all comes together.

Love him or hate him we have to be thankful to have lived through those times because we were witnessing something unique that will never be repeated.

Great work !
BlackCloud is offline  Top
Old 03-18-2013, 08:14 AM   #5
Stevie G
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000

My fondest boxing memory

One thing I'll address is the myth of Ali taking a lot of punishment in this,though. Yes,Foreman got a few of his haymakers in,but Muhammad took far MORE punishment in the Norton and Frazier bouts. As for those who will remind us that Ali was pissing blood afterwards,well.......he did the same,apparently,following the first George Chuvalo fight when Muhammad scored a shutout over the brave but overmatched Canadian.
Stevie G is offline  Top
Old 03-18-2013, 01:26 PM   #6
PetethePrince
Slick & Redheaded
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackCloud View Post
When you watch that video you realise that the world will probably never see anything quite like it ever again.

For me it was as much about the masses reaction to Ali as a personality.
Then when you factor in the performance in the ring it all comes together.

Love him or hate him we have to be thankful to have lived through those times because we were witnessing something unique that will never be repeated.

Great work !
Ali was such a transcendent figure. There's something surreal about the entire fight. Zaire Africa hosts the biggest stage of a fight; all of Africa literally cheers for Ali. Every punch, every moments gets a crowd reaction for Ali. Don King's first introduction into boxing. The fight is delayed due to a Foreman cut, and then the actual fight. Ali's not "dancing" but standing right in front of this invincible monster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevie G View Post
My fondest boxing memory

One thing I'll address is the myth of Ali taking a lot of punishment in this,though. Yes,Foreman got a few of his haymakers in,but Muhammad took far MORE punishment in the Norton and Frazier bouts. As for those who will remind us that Ali was pissing blood afterwards,well.......he did the same,apparently,following the first George Chuvalo fight when Muhammad scored a shutout over the brave but overmatched Canadian.
I'm going to sort of disagree. Not to say he took more punishment than in the Frazier & Norton fights. Those were tough fights that went the distance. The myth is that Ali was taking a shellacking from Foreman and tiring him out only to come back and knock him out. Ali was winning, but it was a very physical fight, and Foreman got in more clean punches than I think I truly remembered from previously watching it. I mean shots to the neck, the body, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by orriray59 View Post
Fantastic video. My favorite fight of all time.
Thanks orriray.
Old 03-18-2013, 03:18 PM   #7
shavers
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000

Great video...
shavers is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum