Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 07-09-2007, 06:46 AM   #1
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default How Special Was Sam Langford

Some cracking Langford footage doing the courtesy of Bad Intentions.

He looks great. Make that GREAT.

What do you make of Langford? How highly do you rate him all time?
McGrain is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 07-09-2007, 06:54 AM   #2
TBooze
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1500
Default Re: How Special Was Sam Langford

I did have him as high as #2 on my all-time list, but over the years as my opinion has changed, he has slipped, but he was a phenom of his time and is still IMO one of the 10 finest fighters ever (#9)
TBooze is offline  Top
Old 07-09-2007, 06:56 AM   #3
janitor
P4P King
East Side VIP

He has a good claim to be the greatest pound for pound fighter that ever breathed.

I think that a case can be made for ranking him as a top 10 all time heavyweight as well.
janitor is offline  Top
Old 07-09-2007, 07:50 AM   #4
fists of fury
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 137

I don't see what you guys are seeing at all. The footage, while very interesting, highlights more flaws than strengths.

He obviously had no idea of how to cut the ring off, and just follows his opponent around. He was off-balance quite a bit in the footage and his offence is rudimentary.

Great for his time sure, but honestly I can't see Virgil Hill battling to beat him.
Sorry, but that's the way I see it.
fists of fury is offline  Top
Old 07-09-2007, 07:57 AM   #5
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by fists of fury
He obviously had no idea of how to cut the ring off, and just follows his opponent around. He was off-balance quite a bit in the footage and his offence is rudimentary.
Sorry bro, I don't agree with you at all.

In the first clip, his right foot is continually outside his opponents left as he circles. Whilst this guy hardly testst the theory, Langford basically has the ring cut of before he has to try - it's textbook stuff if you're teaching the technique, and not then but now. Perfect, in fact.

As to of balance, he's busy and moving, but his footwork alters immediatly upon attacking, I think he looks very well balanced.

I think he has excellent handspeed and varied his attack beautifully according to his opponents actions - what do yo mean by "rudimentary"?
McGrain is offline  Top
Old 07-09-2007, 08:24 AM   #6
Vantage_West
ヒップホッププロデューサー
East Side VIP

for his size he was amazing but for me he was too sloppy it might not matter but for me style points do count

his hands were too low low hands are good for a tactic way but he doesnt have a guard to block jabs and other stuff.

his jab was so long though you look at the flynn fight it just sems to fly away from his body.

he would beat some great fighters but he is just too heavy for his hieght.
Vantage_West is offline  Top
Old 07-09-2007, 08:28 AM   #7
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantage_West
he would beat some great fighters but he is just too heavy for his hieght.
You make a good point, but so was **** Tiger, and he managed to make some waves up at LHW.

I think that both these guys would benefit from the more modern weight classes
McGrain is offline  Top
Old 07-09-2007, 08:43 AM   #8
fists of fury
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGrain
Sorry bro, I don't agree with you at all.

In the first clip, his right foot is continually outside his opponents left as he circles. Whilst this guy hardly testst the theory, Langford basically has the ring cut of before he has to try - it's textbook stuff if you're teaching the technique, and not then but now. Perfect, in fact.

I think he has excellent handspeed and varied his attack beautifully according to his opponents actions - what do yo mean by "rudimentary"?
I'll watch the clip again to see what you mean about the footwork. Maybe you're right...I only watched the clip once.

About his offence...I don't know how to put this other than to say it looks sloppy and awkward. He does have good handspeed, but to me his punches seem more 'back yard brawl' than 'sweet science.'
Old 07-09-2007, 09:00 AM   #9
fists of fury
Champion
East Side Guru

Okay I watxhed the clips carefully again and I have to agree that he actually cut the ring off pretty well. Thanks for pointing that out McGrain.

His punches are still a little wild at times, but he did use good leverage and his jab was excellent. I think what made me think otherwise at first is that he fought pretty square, leading me to misjudge him initially. He certainly comes across better on film than many other fighters of that era.
Old 07-09-2007, 09:03 AM   #10
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

Quote:
Okay I watxhed the clips carefully again and I have to agree that he actually cut the ring off pretty well. Thanks for pointing that out McGrain.

His punches are still a little wild at times, but he did use good leverage and his jab was excellent. I think what made me think otherwise at first is that he fought pretty square, leading me to misjudge him initially. He certainly comes across better on film than many other fighters of that era.
It is so easy done, dismissing a guy on film of that quality, i've done it myself.

I'd go so far as to say that i've never seen anyone from that era look quite so impressive on film, though I do love some of Jack Johnson's stuff.

Lanford "leads" pretty square when he's in pursuit, but he attacks pretty narrow. Harrowing for the opposition.
McGrain is offline  Top
Old 07-09-2007, 09:19 AM   #11
Vantage_West
ヒップホッププロデューサー
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGrain
You make a good point, but so was **** Tiger, and he managed to make some waves up at LHW.

I think that both these guys would benefit from the more modern weight classes
lindell holmes,montell griffin,kelvin davis,joe frazier
all small men they might win a title but they were just too small either long reach and power, speed or slickness gets them through but they are really just get out sized.
i believe that hieght is very overated but when your that heavy for that size you will never reach the upper echelons.

thing is that tiger was a short man but had the skills to back it up...these dimished and flump all these fighters got worse when they got older

the smaller men were great but burnt out quickly becuase of this frazier and tyson lost the speed to duck and slip,lindell holmes jab was a proder not a snappy jab it was before,montell griffin doesnt have the speed to dodge and confuze like he used to.

the poitn is that smaller men need more power skills speed all the stats to last longer once they go on a decline that was it.

smaller fighters need more skills when they burn out they burn out fast
Old 07-09-2007, 09:20 AM   #12
dmt
Hardest hitting hw ever
ESB Senior Member

Langford beats the **** out of hill
dmt is offline  Top
Old 07-09-2007, 09:25 AM   #13
Vantage_West
ヒップホッププロデューサー
East Side VIP

Quote:
He certainly comes across better on film than many other fighters of that era.
search joe gans perfect boxing skills for the times timeless

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum