Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 03-20-2013, 04:13 PM   #1
BlackWolf

vCash: 500
Default 2 Tips to increase hand speed for beginners

I am a beginner in the world of the sweet science as well as this forum. I have been training diligently and have been paying attention to the professionals and the simplicity of their work. A lot of people (beginners) have or may still be dedicating their time to increasing their hand speed by weights or resistance when it all falls back yet again on technique. I have learned that speed is predicated on the rotation of the hips. The faster the hips are engaged and disengaged, the faster your punch will release and return. The hips are also the pivotal point of transferring power. There are 3 stages of power generation.

1.Lower Body (power development from the ground)-the pivot and the sitting of punches to lower mass
2.The Hips (the transfer)- Taking energy from below to transfer it into the upper body
3. The Upper Body (the release)- The upper body is relaxed on the point of release. Here is an example. You have a crash test vehicle and two walls. You want the the vehicle to make it to Wall B but it has to get through Wall A first. Wall A is significantly weaker than Wall B. Odds are the vehicle may not make it to Wall B since Wall A (despite being weaker) has hindered the complete transfer of power and speed to hit the intended surface. The arms are no different. By creating tension in the upper body, you create a counter force against the force that was generated from the ground thus you basically diminish your initial power completely.

Now back to speed. I have two links from two fighters, Gary Russell Jr and Manny Pacquiao. Their shadow boxing is a complete resemblance of utilizing the hips to engage and disengage their body. It is easier to pull a punch back when you use your entire body as opposed to pulling your arm back with your arm muscles. It took your entire body to initiate the punch anyways right? Do it for the return. My second tip is the footwork. Use your feet to move in relation to your intended punch speed. This enables fast combinations while moving as opposed to staying in one place and throwing a dozen fast arm punches. Increase your speed by increasing your footwork.

Manny Pacquiao shadow boxing- watch his feet most importantly as well as the hips.
[html]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1k9gEjICaTE[/html]Garry Russell Jr shadow boxing- i actually have two videos, watch them both if you choose.
[html]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SpRzARagdE[/html][html]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZT0QH3rl_E[/html]
BlackWolf is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 03-20-2013, 05:02 PM   #2
xRedx
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1306
Default Re: 2 Tips to increase hand speed for beginners

Great insight, Good Post.
xRedx is offline  Top
Old 03-21-2013, 02:42 AM   #3
BlackWolf

vCash: 500
Smile Re: 2 Tips to increase hand speed for beginners

Thank you very much, im just trying to spread some knowledge the best way i can
BlackWolf is offline  Top
Old 03-23-2013, 04:32 AM   #4
thehook13

vCash: 75
Default Re: 2 Tips to increase hand speed for beginners

Just want to comment, gary russell is the ****ing future man. Cannot wait to see him flourish into p4p elite

good tips too
thehook13 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing