Sponsored Links
Old 04-20-2013, 07:34 PM   #2
boranbkk
"ไม่ได้โม้นะ"
ESB Addict

vCash: 500
Default Re: Muay Thai Documentary

Thanks for the post.

Not a bad doc to give newcomers an intro into the Thai scene, but it's maybe a little bit contrived. It looks like it was filmed fairly recently maybe a couple of years ago, and in case you don't know Sam - A is still right up there as are a few you saw training with him like Nong O (the light sparring in Petchyindee). Boat his handler is still a jerk, but a big time jerk with his own promotional set up. His debut was the recent Feb 7th Raja show where Somrak won, I was ringside with Fleaman & we saw Boat try to get Sam A to sniff something a little suspect as Sam A was down on the cards, but to his credit Sam A shrugged him off and refused to sniff the stuff. Sam A is a class act outside the ring to, very approachable with a very calm soft manner. I've run with him a few times in the park.

Some odd stuff happening probably for the cameras especially at Eminent Air (a good gym)with Somboon! They over state the "Muay Lom" or boxers taking a dive thing, it's actually rarer than you'd think as it's now a criminal offence and also carers a lifetime ban. The whole Chang Mai as that's the last place you really think off for MT in Thailand. Hardly any fighters Thai or foreign come via the North. Now the North east is a different question, they should have gone to a gym in the heart of Issan where probably 75% of the fighters come from. My old mate & training partner Rob Cox makes an appearance at the end (the photographer in Lumpinee). He's actually an ex fighter & trainer form London who encouraged me to go to BKK all those years ago. He now helps run a very successful gym which has produced I think two stadium champs as well as being the only official westerner reporter and photographer permanently based at all the big events. He really lives eats and breaths it, fast becoming an icon of the sport!

Anyway enbjoyed it RJJ and isnt Sam A a ****in beast on the pads..........

BORKED

Here's Boat's Channel (Petchyindee Acamamy @ Lumpinee Stadium):

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

And if you want some pretty good and insightful short mini MT docs about the Thai scene you should check out Muay Thai Journal, not many but well worth watching:

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
boranbkk is offline  Top
Old 04-21-2013, 01:38 AM   #3
RJJFan
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 448
Default Re: Muay Thai Documentary

Thanks BKK, yeah Sam A is a beast with that left leg but he's no Samkor. Very interesting story with the corner trying to boost Sam A with the sniffer, is that common?

The handler is indeed a jerk but if he's trying to boost his fighter's profile, he can't really be faulted. Hopefully the fighter will benefit from the added attention.

I didn't realize Rob Cox was a fighter before? I have new added respect for him, particularly his fluency in Thai and his successful gym .

What do you think of the American trainer in the vid? It seems he's been there 20 years but is he legit?
RJJFan is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum