Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 03-30-2013, 01:02 PM   #16
Claus Holmen
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Name 5 HW's that you think coulda beat A prime Tyson and 5 that coulda beat Ali p

Tyson was never really tested in his prime. Based on the Douglas and Holyfields way of breaking him Down - IŽll say:
1. Holyfield
2. Joe Louis
3. Joe Frazier
4. Ali
5. George Foreman

Ali at his prime - 1967 - we never knew how good he couldŽve been 1968-1970 against Frazier, Bonavena:

1. Joe Frazier
2. Joe Louis

Frazier on the night of march 8 1971, wouldŽve beaten anyone in front of him !
Claus Holmen is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 03-30-2013, 01:08 PM   #17
Rex Tickard
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 500
Default Re: Name 5 HW's that you think coulda beat A prime Tyson and 5 that coulda beat Ali p

Quote:
Originally Posted by thistle1 View Post
the perfect Tyson truely was the Baddest Man on the Planet, I can't think of too many that could have stopped him. So you have to consider he might just have been the Greatest HW that ever lived!
Tyson was never "perfect" - even when at his best physical condition, he still lacked the versatility and resilience of other ATG HWs.

If Tyson can barely be competitive with a grieving, flu-riddled contender like Douglas just because he's not at his 100% top physical shape, how could even a 100% Tyson be expected to beat someone like Ali? As is, there's the question of whether any version of Tyson would beat a 100% version of Douglas, which he didn't face in Tokyo, let alone fighters like Lewis or the Klitschkos.
Rex Tickard is offline  Top
Old 03-30-2013, 01:23 PM   #18
Robbi
Marvelous
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claus Holmen View Post
Frazier on the night of march 8 1971, wouldŽve beaten anyone in front of him !
If he came into the ring as possessed as he did that night with the likes of Lennox Lewis or George Foreman in the opposite corner he'd have needed oxygen and a stretcher when leaving Madison Square Garden.
Robbi is offline  Top
Old 03-30-2013, 02:04 PM   #19
ripcity
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Location: "Somebody may beat me, but they are going to have to bleed to do it."
vCash: 937

I would be intrested to see prime Ali vs. prime Holmes.
Tyson before prison would have beaten Holyfield, and would have won a rematch with Douglas.
ripcity is offline  Top
Old 03-30-2013, 02:16 PM   #20
BoxingFanPhil
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidDynamite View Post
No human that ever existed ever beats prime Tyson

Especially that glass jawed faggot Lennox Lewis
This is a joke righ? Don't get me wrong - Tyson was magnetic at his absolute peak, but he look beatable against Frank Bruno. Frank didn't have all the tools he needed, but he made it clear to me that Tyson was not invincible.

Lennox Lewis at his best would knock Tyson out, Ali would knock Tyson out (Tyson didn't have the stamina or the engine that Smoking Joe had to keep the pressure on in the later rounds), Larry Holmes would also be too much for Mike. I see no evidence that Tyson experienced anyone of that quality at his peak. Can I also offer you Frazier? If Tyson didn't get the job done in four he'd be getting carried out on his back, and I'll suggest that Frazier was exactly the warrior to back Mike up and scare the shit out of him. Final offering is prime, young, George Foreman. He'd only have to catch Tyson once.

As for Ali, I'm going with Frazier and Norton, obviously, then add Holyfield, Marciano, and I'm really struggling for number five.
BoxingFanPhil is offline  Top
Old 03-30-2013, 02:17 PM   #21
Robbi
Marvelous
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripcity View Post
I would be intrested to see prime Ali vs. prime Holmes.
Tyson before prison would have beaten Holyfield, and would have won a rematch with Douglas.
Nah, Holy always takes care of Tyson.
Robbi is offline  Top
Old 03-30-2013, 02:23 PM   #22
andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by thistle1 View Post
this is something that I have often wonder too.

the perfect Tyson truely was the Baddest Man on the Planet, I can't think of too many that could have stopped him. So you have to consider he might just have been the Greatest HW that ever lived!

However we don't always perform to perfection, not every single time anyway, so as we know he can be beat under certain circumstances. And Tyson doesn't get a by either as neither should any modern fighters if they had to fight in times of busier scheduals, he would have come up against a Douglas or Holyfield much more often.

I too am not a big LL fan, though like others I do recognise he is an excellent fighter, but has enjoyed too many favourable factors in his career. I still say he was scared as a mouse before the Tyson fight (not a big deal really), you could see it, but more important Tyson was a sedate Tyson, and I asked the question from that very day of that fight to today still, "what MEDICATION was he on with the Robin Givens BS, and for how long" (?), because Mike Tyson was using Meds and I think right up to and including the time of the Lewis fight!

as to the point of others beating him. well given what we know and also what I've stated about placing him too in a much busier period, the real strong, hard hitting punchers could most certainly do it, as well as the great methodical and patient boxers, as long as they weren't intimidated...

Jefferies
Louis
JJ Walcott might beautifully steel a victory as he did with Louis and Marciano till he gets pegged.
Marciano
Ali, but I fear he could be stopped too more than the others here.
Frazier could be a good fight.
Love to see the less skilled but just as tough, maybe more mentally in Chuvalo
Holy sure good proven matches there, but a focused perfect Tyson should beat him.

there will be others too over the long history of Boxing, but those are some of the obvious ones.

Lennox Lewis was so scared of him, he knocked him on his arse at the press conference. There was only one man who was scared in that fight and it was Tyson.

They both knew the quality that Lewis possessed and that knowledge benefited one of them. Lewis.

Shit post pal, you are talking bollocks my friend. Now **** off.
andy is offline  Top
Old 03-30-2013, 02:24 PM   #23
Robbi
Marvelous
East Side Guru

Tyson was in his prime for the Tucker fight. Movement, a good jab with some holding and spoiling made a prime Tyson look ordinary. In fact, Tucker did well for 5 rounds. Imagine if Tyson was in the ring with a prime Holmes or Ali.

When Tyson is negated and the use of his power is taken away, he's just a short heavyweight with small arms who can't do nowt.
Robbi is offline  Top
Old 03-30-2013, 02:26 PM   #24
hookfromhell
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 427

ALI.
Joe Louis
Larry Holmes
Riddick Bowe
Mike Tyson
Joe Frazier

TYSON
Ali
Liston
Foreman
Young
Bowe
hookfromhell is offline  Top
Old 03-30-2013, 02:26 PM   #25
BoxingFanPhil
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbi View Post
I agree. The funny thing about Mike Tyson is that he has a cohort of extreme nut-huggers who have relinquished any sense of objectivity.
BoxingFanPhil is offline  Top
Old 03-30-2013, 03:25 PM   #26
Shawn Kemp
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Buster Douglas beat a prime Tyson and Doug Jones beat a prime Ali. so numerous fighters could and would of beat them both in their primes. Neither one of these guys are God so they aren't unbeatable.
Shawn Kemp is offline  Top
Old 03-30-2013, 05:19 PM   #27
Urone2
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Ali:

Henry Cooper, he actually did beat him but his corner saved him.
Joe Frazier, everyone who knows boxing knows the Ali's weakness is a great left hook.
Ken Norton, same as Frazier.

Tyson:

Evander Holyfield, beacuse he did something on other fighter really thought to do to Tyson and that was to stop his change off of the jab by pushing his shoulder when he wanted to counter. Because of Tyson speed and explosiveness in his prime I'm not sure if anyone could have taken him, his defensive abilities were really good in his prome also.
Urone2 is offline  Top
Old 03-30-2013, 05:57 PM   #28
DrBanzai
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 75

Most great heavy weights beat a prime Tyson, very few great heavyweights beat a prime Ali.
DrBanzai is offline  Top
Old 03-30-2013, 09:07 PM   #29
Theron
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 773

Ali

Joe Frazier
Larry Holmes Larry Holmes Larry Holmes
Lennox Lewis
Mike Tyson
Joe Louis

Tyson

Muhammad Ali
Larry Holmes
George Foreman
Lennox Lewis
Evander Holyfield
Sonny Liston
Riddick Bowe
Maybe Joe Frazier

Last edited by Theron; 03-30-2013 at 09:34 PM.
Theron is offline  Top
Old 03-31-2013, 01:07 AM   #30
Sangria
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbi View Post
Nah, prime for prime Tyson beats Holyfield.
Sangria is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum