Old 04-01-2013, 11:12 AM   #61
PowerBack
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 675
Default Re: Andre Ward is already an ATG

Quote:
Originally Posted by bailey View Post
So you think Froch who at 35 and coming off a Mdec over an old boiled down SMW jouneyman, who was behind before a late KO against Taylor, who many considered lucky against Dirrell, who lost to Kessler coming off a loss when suffering double vision is better than Eubank or Mitchell? I definately think 31 year old Eubank who was faster and more skilled with a far greater resume and experience is a better win.

I am not convinced that Froch who is a slow plodder is better than prime Lacy before he was ruined, who hits every bit as hard, is faster, has a higher workrate, better foot speed and a good chin also. If you look at prime Lacy against Reid and you look at Froch just before winning a world title against a slightly more faded Reid, Lacy looked the better to me.
I agree that Eubank was probably a better win for Calzaghe, than Froch was for Ward.
But Lacy and Mitchell? . What did Mitchell and Lacy ever do in their careers? I don't give a shit about some performance against an overmatched opponent. Froch has beaten plenty of quality opponents, Lacy and Mitchell has beaten none.
PowerBack is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 04-01-2013, 11:15 AM   #62
LikeFatherNSon
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerBack View Post
I agree that Eubank was probably a better win for Calzaghe, than Froch was for Ward.
But Lacy and Mitchell? . What did Mitchell and Lacy ever do in their careers? I don't give a shit about some performance against an overmatched opponent. Froch has beaten plenty of quality opponents, Lacy and Mitchell has beaten none.
The Eubank that Calzaghe fought was NOT a better win than beating Froch.

Eubank was weight drained, took the fight on two weeks notice and it showed. Plus he had been struggling against top opposition prior to the Calzaghe bout. He was nowhere near considered a top 20 or even top 50 fighter at that time.
LikeFatherNSon is online now  Top
Old 04-01-2013, 11:16 AM   #63
bailey
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 84

[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by LikeFatherNSon View Post
Mitchell was one of the f*cking worst champs in the sport.
Yet still has a better SMW resume than half at least of the cuurent SMW top 10, which blows your arguement away
Quote:
Obviously you weren't watching boxing back then because you sound like a boxrec warrior.
Says the person who rates Wards resume along with Calzaghes . Yeah tell me how S Bika who is one of Wards resume wins has done more than M Veit. This will be good
Quote:
Liles had one foot out of the sport when Mitchell fought him.
this must be the best sentence said this year on ESB.
How did Liles as a world champ coming off a win over a world rated European SMW champ have only one foot in the sport when Mitchell beat him.
Do explain that one
Mitchell in his 20th fight had a bigger win than any other active SMW today had in so few fights
Quote:
Mitchell lost to Girard,
Draw and a loss, but the loss was in Paris and I guess you must be boxrecing that one if you think Mitchell was clearly beaten
Quote:
needed two fights with Siaza to set the record straight (Siaca!)
Kod him 1st time round and won a close decision after and thats against Siaca who would go on to beat 2 time SMW champ Mundine
Quote:
and had already lost to Ottke.
A close SD loss to Ottke, which many debate.
Do you think Mitchell lost to Ottke?
Quote:
Step back and actually WATCH the fighters before running your mouth. Mitchell wasn't in Froch's class. EVER.
I have watched the fights but doubt heavily that you have after reading this post.
So who has Froch beaten as good as Liles? Nobody ever.
When Froch fought Ward, what active SMW champ had Froch beaten? None
Quote:
I'ma just ignore your crap about Eubank cuz it's obvious you started watching boxing when Calzaghe beat Lacy. Maybe after
for you to not know Calzaghes career tells me you are trolling with that comment.
Seems like you really are at a loss as your bias agenda has lead you to be pwned silly on this thread.

Calzaghe in the same amount of time as Ward being champ had beaten Eubank a better win than any Ward has and beaten Reid and Woodhall who were world rated and had been SMW champs as well as undefeated Veit who would go on to hold a SMW title as well as top 10 rated Sheika who was coming off a better win over Johnson than Froch was years later when Johnson was shot

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinovelvet View Post
If you want to talk about titles making the fighter, Ottke held the much more prestigious IBF belt and was ranked above Joe.
Joe's worthless WBO belt wasn't even considered a legitimate belt back then.
Read below

Quote:
I know, right? Ottke was rated higher than Joe for their respective reigns. And the WBO was like the IBO back then.
Do you think titles make the fighter?
do answer both of you.

Calzaghe and Ottke swapped places a few times with Calzaghe above Ottke before Ottke retired so you are both wrong there.
Between them they had 6 common opponents where calzaghe and Ottke both fought 3 before the other, but Calzaghe looked far better against all of them.

Still back to your ideas of titles

Where you have written for the WBO vs limited competition.
I just wanted to highlight some details to you.
The SMW divisions first world champs were WBC 1988, WBA 1987, IBF 1984 & WBO 1988.
Now for a start it is a new division so no belt has any more prestige than the other as they were all started at a similar time. So the WBO SMW title has no less prestige than the others.
Consider also that the WBO at SMW has been involved in 4 unification bouts.
The IBF has been involved in 2
The WBA in 3
WBC in 4 also
This shows that the WBO has been as willing to make top fights at SMW as much as any other governing body.

Now look at the list of champs in each and who they defended against and you can see that the WBO SMW title has produced the best defences overall better than all of the other govening bodies in this particular weight division so far.
Consider how much critism Bute gets now for his IBF defences.
Consider M Beyer defending his WBC title against 26-14-5 fighter who was coming off of a win against a 0-2-0 fighter
Or that Mundine when defending the WBA title against a 24-13-5 fighter who was the same fighter that WBC champ Beyer was defending against above.

People bring up Eubank who helped mould the belt that was good enough to give T Hearns a slice of history making. Out of Eubanks 18 WBO SMW title fights 14 of those fights were against fighters who were, had been or became top 10 SMWs. One was a unification and another was against the undefeated former IBF SMW champ (relinquished his title). In fact 6 of the fighters he faced had been or became world champs

Do you rate Golovkins WBA title fights as the WBA is the oldest title.
How do you rate those and dont duck the questions
bailey is offline  Top
Old 04-01-2013, 11:17 AM   #64
LikeFatherNSon
Contender
ESB Senior Member

[quote=bailey;15072497]
Quote:
Yet still has a better SMW resume than half at least of the cuurent SMW top 10, which blows your arguement away
Says the person who rates Wards resume along with Calzaghes . Yeah tell me how S Bika who is one of Wards resume wins has done more than M Veit. This will be good
this must be the best sentence said this year on ESB.
How did Liles as a world champ coming off a win over a world rated European SMW champ have only one foot in the sport when Mitchell beat him.
Do explain that one
Mitchell in his 20th fight had a bigger win than any other active SMW today had in so few fights
Draw and a loss, but the loss was in Paris and I guess you must be boxrecing that one if you think Mitchell was clearly beaten
Kod him 1st time round and won a close decision after and thats against Siaca who would go on to beat 2 time SMW champ Mundine

A close SD loss to Ottke, which many debate.
Do you think Mitchell lost to Ottke?
I have watched the fights but doubt heavily that you have after reading this post.
So who has Froch beaten as good as Liles? Nobody ever.
When Froch fought Ward, what active SMW champ had Froch beaten? None
for you to not know Calzaghes career tells me you are trolling with that comment.
Seems like you really are at a loss as your bias agenda has lead you to be pwned silly on this thread.

Calzaghe in the same amount of time as Ward being champ had beaten Eubank a better win than any Ward has and beaten Reid and Woodhall who were world rated and had been SMW champs as well as undefeated Veit who would go on to hold a SMW title as well as top 10 rated Sheika who was coming off a better win over Johnson than Froch was years later when Johnson was shot

Read below

Do you think titles make the fighter?
do answer both of you.

Calzaghe and Ottke swapped places a few times with Calzaghe above Ottke before Ottke retired so you are both wrong there.
Between them they had 6 common opponents where calzaghe and Ottke both fought 3 before the other, but Calzaghe looked far better against all of them.

Still back to your ideas of titles

Where you have written for the WBO vs limited competition.
I just wanted to highlight some details to you.
The SMW divisions first world champs were WBC 1988, WBA 1987, IBF 1984 & WBO 1988.
Now for a start it is a new division so no belt has any more prestige than the other as they were all started at a similar time. So the WBO SMW title has no less prestige than the others.
Consider also that the WBO at SMW has been involved in 4 unification bouts.
The IBF has been involved in 2
The WBA in 3
WBC in 4 also
This shows that the WBO has been as willing to make top fights at SMW as much as any other governing body.

Now look at the list of champs in each and who they defended against and you can see that the WBO SMW title has produced the best defences overall better than all of the other govening bodies in this particular weight division so far.
Consider how much critism Bute gets now for his IBF defences.
Consider M Beyer defending his WBC title against 26-14-5 fighter who was coming off of a win against a 0-2-0 fighter
Or that Mundine when defending the WBA title against a 24-13-5 fighter who was the same fighter that WBC champ Beyer was defending against above.

People bring up Eubank who helped mould the belt that was good enough to give T Hearns a slice of history making. Out of Eubanks 18 WBO SMW title fights 14 of those fights were against fighters who were, had been or became top 10 SMWs. One was a unification and another was against the undefeated former IBF SMW champ (relinquished his title). In fact 6 of the fighters he faced had been or became world champs

Do you rate Golovkins WBA title fights as the WBA is the oldest title.
How do you rate those and dont duck the questions
You think I read your novels? Try to go step by step. Let's start from the top.

Byron Mitchell isn't in Froch's class. Not on his best day. I would know because I actually happened to watch him fight when he fought. Have you?

Second, my argument was that Ward's resume is comparable to Calzaghe's pre-Hopkins. It is. Are we done here?
Old 04-01-2013, 11:27 AM   #65
bailey
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerBack View Post
Mitchell had beaten long running SMW champ Liles who had a win over Nunn.
2 time WBA SMW champ
He beat #1 Liles (something Ward is praised for doing) by KO
drew with future 2 weight champ Girard
beat Siaca twice who went on to become WBA SMW champ who beat Mundine
beat former MW champ JC Green who beat a prime Joppy before Joppy was beaten by Trinidad or Hopkins.

Mitchell only lost by SD to Ottke and was only ever beaten clearly once as a SMW to Calzaghe

Quote:
The Eubank that Calzaghe fought was NOT a better win than beating Froch.

Eubank was weight drained, took the fight on two weeks notice and it showed. Plus he had been struggling against top opposition prior to the Calzaghe bout. He was nowhere near considered a top 20 or even top 50 fighter at that time.
Was Johnson weight drained when Froch only got a Mdec over him?
Calzaghe took the fight at 2 weeks notice also, but like Eubank they were both training for a fight on the same night and Eubank like Calzaghe used to make weight in the last week and was training for a LHW bout.
How was eubank weight drained when in his fight at CW after he puit weights in his pockets to appear heavier and even now in his 40s said he is a LHW now carrying a bit of weight. I can show you the links for all this.
Eubank lost to Collins but one was debateable and the other a SD.

Just compare where Eubank and Kessler were when fighting Calzaghe and Ward respectively

It was Wards 21st fight, Ward was 25
It was Calzaghes 23rd fight, Calzaghe was 25

Ward won at home
Calzaghe won away

When Ward beat Kessler, Kessler was 42-1-0
When Calzaghe beat Eubank, Eubank was 45-2-2

Kessler was 31
Eubank was 31

Kessler was 8-1 in world title fights
Eubank was 17-2-2 in world title fights

It was just under 3 years since Kessler beat a world rated opponent
It was just under 3 years since Eubank beat a world rated opponent

Kessler had only fought 3 completed rounds in 1 fight in a year before fighting Ward
Eubank had only fought 7 completed rounds in 2 fights in a year before fighting Calzaghe

Kesslers only loss was clear
Eubanks 2 losses - first was very close (debateable) the second was a SD, to the same fighter.

Kessler was favourite to win.
100 years of Boxing News claims Calzaghe was underdog, I have read Calzaghe was underdog but some posters claim he was betting favourite, though.
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
Notes Eubank was a strong favourite, but dont know where the site got its info.

Both Ward and Calzaghe had dominant performances with Calzaghe scoring 2 KDs.

After the loss Kessler beat undefeated WBC champ Froch
After the loss Eubank fought WBO CW champ Thompson and lost a close decision scoring a KD. Eubank fought a return with the bigger Thompson and lost on injury when ahead. Thompson was a CW and the only fighter to have beaten D Haye.

I have read how people on ESB say Eubank was shot so -
How far past prime was Eubank to you then?
Eubank had lost a close decision to Collins, that many thought he won, had a couple of tune ups and rematched Collins to a SD, had a couple of tune ups and lost clearly to underdog Calzaghe. After that loss Eubank went up to CW and challenged world champ Thompson losing a very close decision and then rematched Thompson losing on injury when ahead. Thats Thompson who years later past his best KOd D Haye.
Consider Eubank only had 2 losses to one fighter when he fought Calzaghe, the second by SD to a world champ and was 31 then went on to challenge a big CW flooring him etc, how past his prime do YOU think he was?
Remember Kessler is Wards big win and was the same age as Eubank here and had around the same amount of fights, so is Kessler shot as well, because Kessler has a serious eye problems and was an unwell double vision suffering fighter who has been inactive for a while now due to his injury

Remember when you make silly comments about losses was G Johnson considered past his prime when years ago after losing to Hopkins he went 7-9-2 including the Hopkins loss

Ward won at home
Calzaghe won away

Kessler was 31
Eubank was 31

Kessler had only fought 3 completed rounds in 1 fight in a year before fighting Ward
Eubank had only fought 7 completed rounds in 2 fights in a year before fighting Calzaghe

Eubanks 2 losses - first was very close (debateable) the second was a SD, to the same fighter.

100 years of Boxing News claims Calzaghe was underdog, I have read Calzaghe was underdog but some posters claim he was betting favourite, though.

After the loss Eubank fought WBO CW champ Thompson and lost a close decision scoring a KD. Eubank fought a return with the bigger Thompson and lost on injury when ahead. Thompson was a CW and the only fighter to have beaten D Haye.

Eubank had lost a close decision to Collins, that many thought he won, had a couple of tune ups and rematched Collins to a SD, had a couple of tune ups and lost clearly to underdog Calzaghe. After that loss Eubank went up to CW and challenged world champ Thompson losing a very close decision and then rematched Thompson losing on injury when ahead. Thats Thompson who years later past his best KOd D Haye.
Consider Eubank only had 2 losses to one fighter when he fought Calzaghe, the second by SD to a world champ and was 31 then went on to challenge a big CW flooring him etc, how past his prime do YOU think he was?
Remember Kessler is Wards big win and was the same age as Eubank here and had around the same amount of fights, so is Kessler shot as well, because Kessler has a serious eye problems and was an unwell double vision suffering fighter who has been inactive for a while now due to his injury

Remember when you make silly comments about losses was G Johnson considered past his prime when years ago after losing to Hopkins he went 7-9-2 including the Hopkins loss

So why is one victory so highly rated and not the other??
bailey is offline  Top
Old 04-01-2013, 11:30 AM   #66
blackbolt396
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritBulldog View Post
So was Donald Curry.
Anybody remember him that was the man who was going to beat SRL.
blackbolt396 is offline  Top
Old 04-01-2013, 11:33 AM   #67
bailey
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

[quote]
Quote:

You think I read your novels? Try to go step by step. Let's start from the top.

Byron Mitchell isn't in Froch's class. Not on his best day. I would know because I actually happened to watch him fight when he fought. Have you?
Watched him on TV when active, yes
Now tell me what SMW champs had Froch beaten going in to fight Ward?
Tell me do you think Froch had as good a win as Mitchell had in Liles?
I can give you the answer to both, but I doubt you can the way you are ducking the questions like a *****

Quote:
Second, my argument was that Ward's resume is comparable to Calzaghe's pre-Hopkins. It is. Are we done here?
How do you get that when wards biggest win is an unwell double vision suffering fighter that Calzaghe took the 0 of?
You must suddenly think that Froch who lost to Kessler is suddenly a better win than Kessler for beating Abraham coming off a loss and scoring a Mdec against an old boiled down SMW journeyman in his 40s
But lets just say you do think that Froch is Wards best win, it still wouldnt be better than undefeated Kessler or Kessler with a loss. Calzaghe beat undefeated Kessler and then also other SMW world champs in Eubank, Lacy, Mitchell, Brewer, Woodhall, Veit, Reid. All those combined are better than what ward has done, and Wards next big win is Bika who Calzaghe had also already beaten, so how do you think wards resume is comparable. News flash, its not even close yet
bailey is offline  Top
Old 04-01-2013, 11:43 AM   #68
dinovelvet
Up Top To The Head
East Side Guru

vCash: 239

You listen to me pencil top, Froch destroyed Taylor who beat Hopkins more convincingly than Joe did , not once but twice.
Joe dumped his pant at the thought of rematch with Hop so instead he retired.
dinovelvet is offline  Top
Old 04-01-2013, 11:48 AM   #69
LikeFatherNSon
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Now tell me what SMW champs had Froch beaten going in to fight Ward?
Tell me do you think Froch had as good a win as Mitchell had in Liles?
I can give you the answer to both, but I doubt you can the way you are ducking the questions like a *****

How do you get that when wards biggest win is an unwell double vision suffering fighter that Calzaghe took the 0 of?
You must suddenly think that Froch who lost to Kessler is suddenly a better win than Kessler for beating Abraham coming off a loss and scoring a Mdec against an old boiled down SMW journeyman in his 40s
But lets just say you do think that Froch is Wards best win, it still wouldnt be better than undefeated Kessler or Kessler with a loss. Calzaghe beat undefeated Kessler and then also other SMW world champs in Eubank, Lacy, Mitchell, Brewer, Woodhall, Veit, Reid. All those combined are better than what ward has done, and Wards next big win is Bika who Calzaghe had also already beaten, so how do you think wards resume is comparable. News flash, its not even close yet
You don't read very well. I didn't say Froch was better than Kess. I said he's worlds better than Mitchell. Which he is. And his resume is pretty impressive pre-Ward. I'll take Pascal over nearly everyone Calzaghe fought prior to Hopkins. LOL @ ducking questions. From a f*g who thinks Byron Mitchell belongs in this conversation?
Old 04-01-2013, 11:49 AM   #70
LikeFatherNSon
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Mitchell had beaten long running SMW champ Liles who had a win over Nunn.
2 time WBA SMW champ
He beat #1 Liles (something Ward is praised for doing) by KO
drew with future 2 weight champ Girard
beat Siaca twice who went on to become WBA SMW champ who beat Mundine
beat former MW champ JC Green who beat a prime Joppy before Joppy was beaten by Trinidad or Hopkins.

Mitchell only lost by SD to Ottke and was only ever beaten clearly once as a SMW to Calzaghe

Was Johnson weight drained when Froch only got a Mdec over him?
Calzaghe took the fight at 2 weeks notice also, but like Eubank they were both training for a fight on the same night and Eubank like Calzaghe used to make weight in the last week and was training for a LHW bout.
How was eubank weight drained when in his fight at CW after he puit weights in his pockets to appear heavier and even now in his 40s said he is a LHW now carrying a bit of weight. I can show you the links for all this.
Eubank lost to Collins but one was debateable and the other a SD.

Just compare where Eubank and Kessler were when fighting Calzaghe and Ward respectively

Ward won at home
Calzaghe won away

Kessler was 31
Eubank was 31

Ward won at home
Calzaghe won away

Kessler was 31
Eubank was 31

So why is one victory so highly rated and not the other??
Where did I "highly rate" the Johnson win--like you're doing the Eubank win? Answer that, *****
Old 04-01-2013, 11:50 AM   #71
floyd_g.o.a.t
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 25000

ATG SMW no doubt about it.
floyd_g.o.a.t is offline  Top
Old 04-01-2013, 11:52 AM   #72
bailey
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
You listen to me pencil top, Froch destroyed Taylor who beat Hopkins more convincingly than Joe did , not once but twice.
How was Taylor more convincing when he was having to hang on to survive and being beaten down the stretch.
How was taylor more convincing when if you look at the official scoring, Calzaghe in one fight with Hopkins had a bigger overall points lead than Taylor did against Hopkins in 2 fights combined.
Calzaghe beat Hopkins at a weight where Hopkins was hydrated, Taylor struggled and looked fortunate against Hopkins when Hopkins was at a weight he was struggling to make, as shown with how Hopkins was beating fighters at that weight that Taylor couldnt beat in Wright and Pavlik, yet Calzaghe handled Hopkins at that weight sandwiched between Hopkins best wins.
Anyway
You keep ducking questions Dino

Do you think titles make the fighter? Please answer and tell me what you think of Golovkins WBA MW title defences as that is the oldest belt and in a division that is older
bailey is offline  Top
Old 04-01-2013, 11:53 AM   #73
knockout artist
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 2666

Quote:

This is some of the worst logic I've ever seen applied on here
knockout artist is offline  Top
Old 04-01-2013, 11:57 AM   #74
bailey
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
You don't read very well. I didn't say Froch was better than Kess. I said he's worlds better than Mitchell. Which he is. And his resume is pretty impressive pre-Ward. I'll take Pascal over nearly everyone Calzaghe fought prior to Hopkins. LOL @ ducking questions. From a f*g who thinks Byron Mitchell belongs in this conversation?
so Pascal who didnt do anything at SMW and looked terrible in some fights, you suddenly rate above most of Calzaghes comp . Dont forget how Pascal lost to a 46 year old when he went up in weight.
What was Pascals best SMW win? Was it as good as Liles for Mitchell?
Dont duck the questions again
Quote:
Where did I "highly rate" the Johnson win--like you're doing the Eubank win? Answer that, *****
How am I a *****? I dont duck questions. Thats what you seem to do .
You rated Froch highly and I noted that coming into his fight with Ward he was coming off a Mdec win over an old boiled down SMW journeyman, before that a win over AA coming in off a loss who had no SMW pedigree and then a loss to Kessler coming in off a loss when unwell, yet you have this sudden great rating for Froch.
Now you rate Pascal as a SMW
bailey is offline  Top
Old 04-01-2013, 11:59 AM   #75
bailey
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by knockout artist View Post
This is some of the worst logic I've ever seen applied on here
You know how it is with Dino. Hes like the ESB old punch bag and totally useless but out of sympathy is humoured to make him feel he has a place
bailey is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum