Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 03-31-2013, 02:19 PM   #1
m.s.
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 500
Default ricky hatton vs brandon rios

prime hatton vs 140 lb rios who wins and how?

Last edited by m.s.; 03-31-2013 at 02:41 PM.
m.s. is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 03-31-2013, 02:56 PM   #2
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

vCash: 75
Default Re: ricky hatton vs brandon rios

Hatton on points in a great fight. He'd likely need to have his boxing head on to do it convincingly though.
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 03-31-2013, 03:11 PM   #3
Boxed Ears
Smugly Savvy Feelings
East Side VIP

vCash: 26664

Yeah, if he was out to use his abilities in an outside fight, which I know he didn't really like doing, and wasn't his nature at all, it would be his fight to lose, tough as it might be. But it would be the only prudent choice against someone like Rios who seems to enjoy being battered let alone bothered by it and is still huge for 140, despite having come up from 135.
Boxed Ears is offline  Top
Old 03-31-2013, 03:44 PM   #4
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

The Ricky of Tackie would do.
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 03-31-2013, 03:49 PM   #5
Boxed Ears
Smugly Savvy Feelings
East Side VIP

vCash: 26664

I'm trying to work "ticky-tacky" into that, Flea, but I'm struggling today.
Boxed Ears is offline  Top
Old 03-31-2013, 07:40 PM   #6
sportofkings
Champion
East Side Guru

Hatton's just a better fighter than Rios with more dimensions. Rios wont bring anything that Hatton hasn't seen before, he's a good pressure fighter, with fairly quick hands, good power and a granite chin, but Abril and and Rios exposed a lot of his flaws. Give him some movement, pick your shots, avoid a brawl and you'll give him loads of trouble. I dont really rate Rios much higher than id rate Urango, and Hatton showed he can box when he meets a strong opponent that he can't break down on the inside. Granted there may be a few hariy moments for Hatton, and he will have to go toe to toe with Rios at times, but he's got the chin, inside work and all round ability to both box and brawl. Cant see Rios winning more than three rounds tbh.
sportofkings is offline  Top
Old 04-01-2013, 06:36 AM   #7
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

Very good post SOK my only problem with Ricky's two dimensions being that he rarely blended them well in a fight. He either came out with a boxing or mauling mindset and stuck to it rigidly over the 10/12.

But yes I don't rate Rios much higher than Urango, despite being more impressed with Rios>Acosta then Urango-Ngdoujo the fact Brandon was that much bigger sours the win for me.

A good example of a very good same day lightweight being hammered by a modern day weight cutter
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 04-01-2013, 06:52 AM   #8
PowerPuncher
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

If Ricky exchanges too much, which he probably would do, then Rios's better shorter punches would do more damage. Ricky needs to box in and out or use his wrestling rough house tactics to get the better of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flea Man View Post
The Ricky of Tackie would do.
Tackie was shit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxed Ears View Post
Yeah, if he was out to use his abilities in an outside fight, which I know he didn't really like doing, and wasn't his nature at all, it would be his fight to lose,.
His wrestling hooking and holding would be his defensive tactic. He could suffocate Rios and throw him off balance with his superior strength I suppose.

Quote:
But yes I don't rate Rios much higher than Urango,
Rios is far better than the slow as mollases wide punching Urango. The only thing Urango has going for him is he probably has the most impressive physique in 140lb history
PowerPuncher is offline  Top
Old 04-01-2013, 07:25 AM   #9
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

Urango was strong and hit hard and before Bailey clocked him looked unbreakable. Rios has more finesse but is that the only thing that matters? Let's not act like he's leagues above, now he's fighting around his own weight he isn't the decimator he was for, um two fights at 135 before needing to put the rounds in against John Murray of all people.

Tackie was a solid journeyman but you knew I was referring to Hatton's approach. I would've said Paulie but I think anyone with a more solid dig would've thrown Ricky off his rythym at that point, that fight masked a lot of his vulnerabilities. Take him one fight before (Lazcano) or one after (Pacquiao) and I think Rios beats both those versions of Ricky. So he'd likely beat Paulie version too.
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 04-01-2013, 07:42 AM   #10
Beeston Brawler
Comical Ali-egedly
East Side VIP

I think Hatton's footwork would win him this fight, personally.

He'd have some pretty rough moments, especially on the inside where I'm not convinced he was ever really all that at the higher level.

Ricky would probably look to establish the jab and gradually work the body, where I think Rios can be broken down.

I'm reluctant to put too much emphasis on his struggles with Murray, given that he was clearly as flat as a pancake at 135, but Hatton at anything like his best did everything way better.

Harder puncher, better defence, better at countering, better chin, footwork off the chart.
Beeston Brawler is offline  Top
Old 04-01-2013, 07:46 AM   #11
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

Very good post BB.
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 04-01-2013, 09:39 AM   #12
PowerPuncher
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Urango was strong and hit hard and before Bailey clocked him looked unbreakable. Rios has more finesse but is that the only thing that matters? Let's not act like he's leagues above, now he's fighting around his own weight he isn't the decimator he was for, um two fights at 135 before needing to put the rounds in against John Murray of all people.

Tackie was a solid journeyman but you knew I was referring to Hatton's approach. I would've said Paulie but I think anyone with a more solid dig would've thrown Ricky off his rythym at that point, that fight masked a lot of his vulnerabilities. Take him one fight before (Lazcano) or one after (Pacquiao) and I think Rios beats both those versions of Ricky. So he'd likely beat Paulie version too.
I remember Urango getting a gift against some Jewish Aussie boxer. Who did he actually beat that was any good? Ngoudjo was pretty decent he fought (robbed against Malignaggi and Castillo I thought), and he destroyed Vilches who was a journeyman, and Bailey I suppose.

Rios didn't look good against Murray but I think he was drained for that one. Rios looked like he should have pushed on with his career but he hasn't really

Pity because I was hoping for Rios-Mattysse, although I suppose the Golden Boy Arum feud would stop that anyway
Old 04-01-2013, 09:42 AM   #13
PowerPuncher
P4P King
East Side VIP

No way does Hatton hit harder to the head than Rios and have we seriously started championing Hatton's defensive skills now

His footwork is great though and he feints well, the pace he does everything at is fantastic.

Still though this would be his 4th or 3rd best opponent of his career.
Old 04-01-2013, 09:54 AM   #14
Beeston Brawler
Comical Ali-egedly
East Side VIP

I was comparing Hatton to Murray
Beeston Brawler is offline  Top
Old 04-01-2013, 10:14 AM   #15
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerPuncher View Post
I remember Urango getting a gift against some Jewish Aussie boxer. Who did he actually beat that was any good? Ngoudjo was pretty decent he fought (robbed against Malignaggi and Castillo I thought), and he destroyed Vilches who was a journeyman, and Bailey I suppose.

Rios didn't look good against Murray but I think he was drained for that one. Rios looked like he should have pushed on with his career but he hasn't really

Pity because I was hoping for Rios-Mattysse, although I suppose the Golden Boy Arum feud would stop that anyway
Yeah I felt Ngoudjo beat Castillo and Paulie.
Flea Man is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum