Marciano 8 13.79%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-02-2013, 11:58 AM   #46
Abdullah
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500
Default Re: Lennox Lewis vs Rocky Marciano

Lewis by KO! Whoever voted for Rocky should have their heads examined. Too big, too skilled.
Abdullah is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 04-02-2013, 11:36 PM   #47
ETM
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

Lewis.

Besides his size Lennox fought tall and was a master of distance better than any heavyweight in history. Rocky just couldn't get inside without eating serious punishment. If he did get in there Lewis ties him up rinse and repeat.

Lewis KO 4-5 rounds.
ETM is offline  Top
Old 04-03-2013, 08:30 PM   #48
hookfromhell
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 427

Lewis KO 2. Too big, too powerful. Rock eats some uppercuts
and a few rights before getting dropped for good.
hookfromhell is offline  Top
Old 04-04-2013, 04:55 AM   #49
zadfrak
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazza12 View Post
Difficult one to envisage, given I don't think Lewis fought anyone with the relentless pressure and power of Marciano, and Marciano never fought a tall out-boxer as gifted as Lewis.

I try to ignore size differentials between era's as a majority influence, but it must be acknowledged here, Marciano was a relatively small heavyweight, Lewis was a relatively tall one. Lewis also had the range and a good jab to keep Rocky at bay.

Still I think Rocky's durability and constant (if not the most intelligent) pressure gets him inside on at least a few occasions, and it is here where Lewis will have trouble as he was not the most effective in-fighter and could be flustered. Take into consideration Lewis did not have a cast-iron chin, and this fight is nowhere near as one-sided as some are making out.

Still, the main issue for Rocky is actually getting into punching range with his stature. Lewis was not the fastest around the ring but he did have deft footwork, could get out of tight situations and stay out of trouble. He would control with the jab and land enough right hands from range and grazing uppercuts on the inside to discourage Marciano from getting into full flow, taking a points decision.

I kind of see it like this also. But I guess I think Rocky's workrate will tire out Lennox the second half of the bout & maybe that's enough for Rocky to pull out the close nod. Lennox did get sloppy in there the second half of his fights. And like most heavies, not many late round ko's.

And if Marciano makes it to the second half of the fight, he will definately get Lennox off his pitcher's mound and that's by far the most effective area Lennox liked to set up and work from. But Rocky has a lot more endurance than a Mavrovic--another tough guy that prepared well for Lewis. I think Lennox is going to miss that right hand over the top because the guy gets so low in there. He was like a crab. Lewis missed a lot of nice right hands he threw against a few other guys that did fight him low--Billups and Ocassio. The later bad back version of Rocky that fought Moore and stood up a ton is not beating Lewis. It has to be the youthful version and straight up guys are in trouble against a Lennox Lewis anyway.

Those pre-fight preperations and superb conditioning are a problem for Lennox. And guys did set traps on Lewis and ko'd him. I think it might boil down to the right hand of Lewis. Can he land it clean on a guy that low or at a range different from way on the outside? Does he hurt his hand bouncing it off the top of his head and not the chin like he aims for?

The jab wins the rounds and maybe cuts him Rocky, but like roy jones says, the jabs don't ko the other guy. And he also points out a jab is the easiest punch to counter and Lennox did stand straight up admiring his work sometimes.

I think it's a terrific 3 fight series and it goes 2-1. Neither guy is going to be able to pull off all of their assets against this opponent without their own faults/disadvantages coming into play one time. I definately see a scenario where Rocky does not catch him and cannot deal with the size and accuracy of Lennox Lewis. And I see Lennox leaving open windows sometime during a fight for a finisher like Marciano to capitalize on.
zadfrak is offline  Top
Old 04-04-2013, 06:55 AM   #50
PowerPuncher
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetethePrince View Post
I'm not going to argue with LHW. SMW and MW would've been a serious hindrance. Marciano is much more big-boned than Eubanks. Agree to disagree.
Yea because his bones means unlike other conditioned men he wasn't over 50% water
PowerPuncher is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum