Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 04-03-2013, 11:34 AM   #16
Stevie G
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000
Default Re: whats your favourite era in boxing history

Another of my faves is the eighties. Not only did we have the brilliance of 'The 4 Kings' but a lot of good middleweights in Britain.
Stevie G is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 04-03-2013, 11:37 AM   #17
burt bienstock
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by turpinr View Post
i agree with all those burt plus another favourite of mine fritzie zivic and the emergence of the turpin brothers bringing to an end of the colour bar in british boxing
Speaking of the Turpin brothers, the night of Sept 12,1951, when Randy Turpin who upset Ray Robinson in London, fought Ray Robinson in a rematch at the old Polo Grounds in NY. I and a buddy of mine had great seats for that bout sitting about 10 rows behind Gen.Douglas MacArthur ...What a fight we saw in which the awkward but STRONG Randy Turpin cut Robinson's eye badly in a late round...Robby was bleeding so bad that the referee looked at the eye,and was close to stopping the bout in the 9th round. In the 10th round the incomparable Robinson in a do or die effort went all out and stopped Turpin in the 10th round...The audience went wild with the tko...I believe Randy Turpin went downhill after that fight...As for me this bout, along with the FOTC 1971,and the wild night in
1945 when the East Side "hoodlum" Rocky Graziano,an1-8 underdog flattened a sensational prospect Billy Arnold in the 3rd round, and became
the biggest drawing card in boxing...Those 3 boxing events will always stick in my mind...
burt bienstock is online now  Top
Old 04-03-2013, 11:45 AM   #18
natonic
Belt holder
ESB Addict

80's. But to be more specific, 80 to around 85 was unreal. High volume and high caliber of fights and fighters on free tv.
natonic is offline  Top
Old 04-03-2013, 11:49 AM   #19
Tin_Ribs
Me
ESB Senior Member

Probably the 60's, mainly from lightweight down, perhaps going into the 70's. Stupid deep, even if you don't count the multitude of world class contenders who never got much of a look in. Golden ages all for fly, bantam, feather, lightweight and middle.

Perez, Kingpetch, Harada, Ebihara, Burruni, McGowan, Torres, Accavallo, Chionoi, Jofre, Medel the Great and Holy, Caldwell, Rudkin, Rose, Chucho, Olivares, Moore, Ramos, Seki, Saldivar, Winstone, Fammo, Legra, Elorde, Laguna, Ortiz, Loi, Locche, Perkins, Lane, Brown, Dupas, Napoles, Tiger, Carter, Giardello, Archer, Griffith, LMR, Mims, Benton, Benvenuti etc. And that was only on the surface.

Welter was deep too and the heavy scene wasn't bad either. The little guys were where it was at though, and the bantams are probably my favourite, half a notch ahead of all the other divisions below light welter. Bantam and fly held their water brilliantly going into the 70's, with the heavies and light heavies coming into their own great generations, but most of the other divisions tailed off slightly in terms of depth and have continued to do so at a slowburning rate imo despite the era of the 4 - and many other greats - falling within the extended timespan.
Tin_Ribs is offline  Top
Old 04-03-2013, 11:52 AM   #20
Surf-Bat
Belt holder
ESB Addict

For me, it honestly depends on what day of the week it is. I vacillate between eras like crazy. Sometimes it's all about those crazy Irishmen who were boxing, drinking, bar-brawling and palling around with each other in Boston and the surrounding areas during the 1800s like John L. Sullivan, Nonpareil Jack Dempsey, Jack McAuliffe, Ike Weir and Jake Kilrain. Other times it's those dangerous black fighters of the 40s and the white fighters who were intrepid enough (and good enough) to cross swords with them.

Then there were those amazing middleweights of the 1910s and 1930s who somehow got lost in the shuffle due to vacated titles (thanks Ketch and Mick); guys who could have been champs in other eras, instead of just claimants, titlists and contenders (Gibbons, Houck, Jeff Smith, Clabby, McGoorty, Yarosz, Apostoli, Krieger, Overlin, Hostak, Brouillard, Steele.....and the colored girls go doot-de-doot, de-doot, de-doot, doot-de-doot....).
Surf-Bat is offline  Top
Old 04-03-2013, 01:19 PM   #21
AlFrancis
Belt holder
ESB Addict

I'd say the 60' 70's and 80's. I don't remember the 60's but I got interested mid 70's I suppose, I was about 10. I started reading Boxing news, BI and Ring which me dad had on subscription. I got hooked and then I started finding 60's mags and boxing books all over the house, in the loft, in the garage everywhere. It was great, every time i found a stash it was like a new treasure trove. I suppose that's why they're my favourite years.
AlFrancis is offline  Top
Old 04-03-2013, 01:35 PM   #22
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

60s bantamweight, well 60s fly to feather.

Post-Foster to Spinks leaving LHW, though Qawi beating Saad arguably finished the era I'm really in love with.

What I dubbed The Ferocious Four Chacon, Limon, Boza, Navarette, and their fights with Arguello too. And all of their fights, so Navarette-Chung, Boza-Everyone, Chacon's fight with Little Red was yonks before, doesn't qualify though. Just from late 70s - early-mid eighties.

That's probably my favourite specific era/division. A huge amount of fun those fights, surprising and dramatic even though I watched every single one on a laptop and knowing the result already. You could run out of superlatives for super feather (and lightweight for some of Boza's best, and Chacon-Mancini) and I guess you could include Camacho's slaying of a faded Bazooka, which is beautiful to watch.
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 04-03-2013, 01:45 PM   #23
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin_Ribs View Post
Probably the 60's, mainly from lightweight down, perhaps going into the 70's.
Beautiful, got there before me. Yeah, if you include middle/welter, ****, I'll say flat out 60s is my favourite era including all weights

Quote:
Perez, Kingpetch, Harada, Ebihara, Burruni, McGowan, Torres, Accavallo, Chionoi, Jofre, Medel the Great and Holy, Caldwell, Rudkin, Rose, Chucho, Olivares, Moore, Ramos, Seki, Saldivar, Winstone, Fammo, Legra, Elorde, Laguna, Ortiz, Loi, Locche, Perkins, Lane, Brown, Dupas, Napoles, Tiger, Carter, Giardello, Archer, Griffith, LMR, Mims, Benton, Benvenuti etc. And that was only on the surface.
Wow. Exactly. You've pretty nailed all my boys right there.EDIT: This sounds awful

Quote:
The little guys were where it was at though, and the bantams are probably my favourite, half a notch ahead of all the other divisions below light welter. Bantam and fly held their water brilliantly going into the 70's
Exactly, but I think, funnily enough Kingpetch onwards was the greatest era for fly (EDIT: no need for this breaking up the flow, sorry, but here it it nonetheless:you'd assume the Newsboy Brown, Wolgast, Montana, Genaro battle for power with no consensus champ 'til Lynch period was incredible, we know it's frighteningly deep and competitive but NOT ONE SCRAP OF FOOTAGE NOT ****ING ONE) up until Ohba died and Bus Station couldn't make weight. Great after that too but those years were incredibly competitive, in turns beautiful and brutal, and filled with arguably the most diverse bunch of stylists in the most international field the sport has ever seen. Well it's up there.

But yeah, bantam for me too

Last edited by Flea Man; 04-03-2013 at 02:03 PM.
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 04-03-2013, 01:55 PM   #24
AlFrancis
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flea Man View Post
60s bantamweight, well 60s fly to feather.

Post-Foster to Spinks leaving LHW, though Qawi beating Saad arguably finished the era I'm really in love with.

What I dubbed The Ferocious Four Chacon, Limon, Boza, Navarette, and their fights with Arguello too. And all of their fights, so Navarette-Chung, Boza-Everyone, Chacon's fight with Little Red was yonks before, doesn't qualify though. Just from late 70s - early-mid eighties.

That's probably my favourite specific era/division. A huge amount of fun those fights, surprising and dramatic even though I watched every single one on a laptop and knowing the result already. You could run out of superlatives for super feather (and lightweight for some of Boza's best, and Chacon-Mancini) and I guess you could include Camacho's slaying of a faded Bazooka, which is beautiful to watch.
Apart from the 60's I experienced all them fights as they happened mate It really was a great time.
Old 04-03-2013, 02:06 PM   #25
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlFrancis View Post
Apart from the 60's I experienced all them fights as they happened mate It really was a great time.
I'm forever green at ou for not only living through it but experiencing it and soaking it up as I know ya' did. Some great decades.

I look forward to people making the case for even older era's, I can see feeling a close affinity with some of those crazy times too.

No one in for the 40s golden age?
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 04-03-2013, 02:16 PM   #26
AlFrancis
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
I'm forever green at ou for not only living through it but experiencing it and soaking it up as I know ya' did. Some great decades.

I look forward to people making the case for even older era's, I can see feeling a close affinity with some of those crazy times too.

It's worth reading those mags from the 60's and 70's, they always had stories from the old days about fights and fighters. Probably stuff you wouldn't even find on the internet.
Old 04-03-2013, 03:31 PM   #27
xRedx
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1306

Tyson era.
xRedx is offline  Top
Old 04-03-2013, 04:52 PM   #28
Webbiano
Belt holder
ESB Addict

90s Heavyweight
Webbiano is offline  Top
Old 04-03-2013, 05:58 PM   #29
thistle1
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:

tis the Season, the only one!
thistle1 is offline  Top
Old 04-03-2013, 06:37 PM   #30
Matty lll
Sweet Scientist
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by thistle1 View Post
the 70s was pretty exciting and the Fab 4 era that followed, then Tyson eventually came along to pick it back up again giving us the mid 90s into the 2000s which was a good time for boxing.

BUT the 1930s, 40s and 50s has got to be boxing's pinnacle, there will NEVER be another time like it!
I agree with you on this
Matty lll is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum