Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 07-06-2007, 10:29 AM   #1
JohnThomas1
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Super Greg Page vs Scott LeDoux....

I am most offended nobody responded to my lil offer regarding this fight. Whilst not quite Page at his best, his skill and boundless talent is most certainly on display. PM offer is still open if anyone is interested. In the mean, Scott said not even Foreman hit him this hard

JohnThomas1 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 07-06-2007, 01:45 PM   #2
Duodenum
Champion
East Side Guru

Default Re: Super Greg Page vs Scott LeDoux....

JT, you're entitled to the courtesy of a reply, so I'm dropping in to offer a comment.

I think the reason behind this lack of response you're missing has largely to do with the fact that two of Greg's most impressive and important wins were largely ignored by the press, specifically, LeDoux and Coetzee.

Unless the match was on network television in the States (I don't recall that it was), or a media hyped superfight event, it wasn't likely to attract wide notice. LeDoux's time in the spotlight really ended with his shot at Holmes (which itself was overshadowed by Ali's ringside antics).

Page/LeDoux took place on the undecard of Berbick/Ali, and the Yankee media largely avoided coverage of that event, being very opposed to the idea of Ali boxing yet again. Even so, Berbick/Ali completely overshadowed Page/LeDoux. (Perhaps they should have switched opponents.)

In sharp contrast to Page/LeDoux, Dokes/Gardiner was broadcast live on free American primetime television, before a wide audience, so even though neither LeDoux or Gardiner were that highly regarded, Gardiner was a new face to American boxing fans, and Dokes shined against this previously unknown (to them) contender.

Greg's most widely viewed performances were the two against Chaplin, the loss to Berbick, the stoppage of Marty Monroe, the decision over Snipes (overshadowed by the ringside antics of Hector Camacho and friend-I think it was another known boxer, but I'd have to dig out my old magazines to look it up), and the later career loss to Orlin Norris.

The mainly left wing American television networks were in strong opposition to South Africa's apartheid policies, so they were inconsistent and uncertain in their coverage of sporting events there which might be seen as a tacit endorsement of it. The fact that Coeztee had spoken out publicly against apartheid further confused whether or not the networks wanted to promote Coetzee, or turn the other way when he fought. It certainly didn't help that Page was on a losing skid, and not expected to beat Coetzee, or that Holmes was regarded as the true HW Champion, and a reliably stable titleholder, at a time when contenders were playing musical chairs with the WBA Title.

When Greg beat Coetzee, it received a single paragraph in the newspapers. Americans simply didn't care about Page, preferring to tune in to see if Larry would be dethroned in his next defense. (While many watched Ali to see him win, during his second career, they generally tuned in hoping to see Holmes lose.) Greg was simply not a charismatic personality, not abrasive as Larry could be, or a Mike Dokes, kissing roses and throwing them to females in the audience as a tribute to his mother. (How ironic, that a young man with such panache, who made so great a public spectacle of honoring females, and behaving respectfully, would ultimately be locked up on a rape conviction!)

In any event JT, that's my take on the apparent lack of interest concerning your thread. You can certainly determine for yourself whether or not my reasoning makes any sense. (But hey, what's worse for most people than being completely ignored? I've taken the time to answer, so my conscience concerning this matter is clear!)
Duodenum is offline  Top
Old 07-06-2007, 02:15 PM   #3
Titan1
Belt holder
ESB Addict

When you're told that you're the next Ali, and you don't live up to the promise, people forget about you quickly.For every good victory Greg had, a bad one (i.e Chaplin) would set him back a couple of steps.
Titan1 is offline  Top
Old 07-06-2007, 04:41 PM   #4
Duodenum
Champion
East Side Guru

The real tragedy and irony of Greg Page is that we are discussing him at all on this forum. If he'd been allowed to play basketball, instead of being obligated to try following in Ali's footsteps, he'd be a much healthier and happier man today, instead of impassively wheelchair bound.

Just think about it. Ali didn't play American tackle football because it was "too dangerous." Page wasn't allowed to pursue basketball, because it wasn't what Ali did. Look at the both of them now! Not much difference, is there? At least GENTLEMAN Gerry Cooney is looking out for him through F.I.S.T. (Man, has Gerry ever lived up to that nickname! Bless his heart! For what he's doing on behalf of retired boxers, he should be inducted into Canastota, especially if characters like Arum, King, and Sulamain have gotten inducted. Then again, considering some of the company he'd have, that might be an insult to Gerry.)
Duodenum is offline  Top
Old 07-07-2007, 02:15 PM   #5
Titan1
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Him and Alex Ramos are definitely doing good for down and out boxers, especially Greg Page.The irony about it is that him and Gerry were rivals in the early part of the eighties.I often wondered how Greg would've done as a basketball player.I've heard he was quite the athlete back then.
Titan1 is offline  Top
Old 07-07-2007, 02:49 PM   #6
Duodenum
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titan1
Him and Alex Ramos are definitely doing good for down and out boxers, especially Greg Page.The irony about it is that him and Gerry were rivals in the early part of the eighties.I often wondered how Greg would've done as a basketball player.I've heard he was quite the athlete back then.
I remember Alex Ramos always coming across as a really cheerful kid, and a good guy. (Once, he helped out a Spanish speaking sportswriter in a hotel lobby by sitting in as a translator for an interview with Hagler.)

Ain't it a kick in the head, that Larry Holmes actively participates in helping out Gerry with Greg Page and others, through F.I.S.T?! I guess all boxers grow up eventually, and get over their youthful petty differences. (Unless their names are Fullmer and Giardello! )
Duodenum is offline  Top
Old 07-07-2007, 03:01 PM   #7
mr. magoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Payback
Greg Page was just another tomato can of the 80s...................Theres a whole list of these nobodys............Until Tyson cleaned house,this is the garbage type fighters we had to put up with

Trevor Berbrick
Carl Williams
Pinklon Thomas
Tim Witherspoon
James Smith
Toney Tucker
Buster Douglas
and the list goes on with these tomato cans
Tomato can, is an awefully strong word to descirbe the men you just listed. Although they weren't all time greats, Witherspoon, Berbick, Thomas and Tucker were certainly not tomato cans. In fact, they were actually pretty decent fighters with a fair amount of talent.
mr. magoo is offline  Top
Old 07-07-2007, 03:12 PM   #8
Titan1
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duodenum
I remember Alex Ramos always coming across as a really cheerful kid, and a good guy. (Once, he helped out a Spanish speaking sportswriter in a hotel lobby by sitting in as a translator for an interview with Hagler.)

Ain't it a kick in the head, that Larry Holmes actively participates in helping out Gerry with Greg Page and others, through F.I.S.T?! I guess all boxers grow up eventually, and get over their youthful petty differences. (Unless their names are Fullmer and Giardello! )

I think Greg did an interview where he kept in touch with people like Tubbs, Cooney, Snipes, Witherspoon, and Holmes.He said it was like a brotherhood.
Titan1 is offline  Top
Old 07-07-2007, 03:13 PM   #9
Titan1
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. magoo
Tomato can, is an awefully strong word to descirbe the men you just listed. Although they weren't all time greats, Witherspoon, Berbick, Thomas and Tucker were certainly not tomato cans. In fact, they were actually pretty decent fighters with a fair amount of talent.
And granted, if things went right for Witherspoon and Tucker, Tyson definitely would've had some serious problems with them if he crossed their paths.
Titan1 is offline  Top
Old 07-07-2007, 03:25 PM   #10
Bummy Davis
Champion
East Side Guru

Page wins
Bummy Davis is offline  Top
Old 07-07-2007, 07:06 PM   #11
JohnThomas1
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummy Davis
Page wins
Yes, he did
JohnThomas1 is offline  Top
Old 07-09-2007, 12:25 PM   #12
Titan1
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Wasn't this around the time that Page was switching from Butch Lewis to Greg Page, the beginning of the downfall?
Titan1 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum